Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
NaturalUrbanMama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need some actual proof - solids question

My DD is 7 months old and really not on solids. I've tried off and on but even though she tries to grab at my food, at our plates, etc, when we try to feed her she makes every motion against eating. She'll turn her head, put it down, rub her face or cry. So, I know she doesn't want what I'm offering. I've tried to offer her non pureed food but she gags.

On top of that, she'll often throw up after eating (about 20-30 minutes later).

Anyway, I'm having issues with my mom who is honestly an amazing mother, but she's driving me crazy with the solids thing. She believes that Amber must be on solids now because my milk simply isn't enough. I've tried to tell her that during the first year, foods are for taste and not for nutrition but she says she doesn't believe that.

DD is 17 pounds 10 oz and according to my mom that's just "fat" and she needs food.

Does anyone have either a) any ideas on other methods of feeding or b) some proof that DD doesn't actually *NEED* solids yet??

Thanks!

Advertisement

NaturalUrbanMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
xelasminin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some actual proof - solids question

I don't have facts, i just know that for up to 12 months all a baby needs is breastmilk! My daughter is 8 1/2 months and barely gets solids at all! She's almost 19 pounds, very strong and doing fantastic!

Alot of people questioned me when I delayed my son till 8 months, i've been through all these same questions.

www.kellymom.com might have something too.....I'm looking right now for you.
xelasminin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
xelasminin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
xelasminin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This following paragraph was taken from this LINK on developmental signs that baby is ready for solids:

"Solids readiness depends on both the maturity of baby’s digestive tract and baby’s developmental readiness for solids. Although the maturity of baby’s digestive system is not something that we can readily observe, research indicates that 6 months appears to be ideal for avoiding the allergies and other health risks of too-early solids. After this point, different babies are ready for solids at different times -- developmental readiness for solids cannot be determined using a calendar. Most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
Baby can sit up well without support.
Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
Baby is ready and willing to chew.
Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth. "

This is also taken from the same link, just further down:

"At what point does baby need nutrition from solids that cannot be provided by breastmilk alone?

Medical research tells us that exclusive breastfeeding allows babies to thrive for the first 6 months and often beyond. In the words of the World Health Organization,

“Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants… A recent review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants.”

Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well. "

At the very end it talks about the "window of opportunity".

HTH's!!!

Oh, and this isn't proof and may even be somewhere in the article, but BM is the MAIN source of nutrition the first year. Solids are for fun and experimentation. The first "meal" or taste should be up until 9 or 10 months when you can add the second in and the third shouldn't be added until baby has turned a year old.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

DD didn't really start to eat solids until she was 15mo She would eat snacky things, cheerios and such and play with mashed up banana, avocado, corn, peas and all those little finger foods once she got bigger, but as far as eating solids for sustinance and nutrition, nope, wouldn't have a thing to do with it.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
empress_embellishments
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We started introducing "solids" around 6 months. We did it then because of DS's extreme interest in our food. I really wanted to wait longer though....sooo we started on expressed breast milk with just a little bit of organic brown rice infant cereal mixed in. Just enough to change the consistency from milk to thin soup. We started with putting it on our finger tip and letting him taste it from our finger. Then after he tolerated it that way, we started with just a tiny bit on an infant spoon.

Hope that helps....
Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't add anything better than what's already been added except for the first thought I had upon reading your post - is baby gaining, and thriving and happy and overall healthy on BM alone? - then there's your proof !!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

At a year old my daughter ate solids pretty seldom. I'd say once a day she'd have high chair time and wouldn't care too much about that. She was always above the 90th percentiles for weight and height until she hit a year. Since then her height and weight have leveled off.

There are many women who nurse their children exclusively through their first year (even beyond some times)... do what you and your baby feel is right. Of course that's fat. For crying out loud she's a baby! That's just a silly comment from your mom lol.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to say, stick to your guns,m if you don't think she i sready don't feed her. Catherine will be 9 months on Wed, and I don't think she is ready so we are waiting, because she is my baby and inth eend, I have to be accountable for her , not my MIL. OR anyone else for that matter.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom was the same way. Our old ped wanted Isabelle on solids because she was nursing too much (4 month old nursing every 2 hours...umm yeah lol). Anywho, I mentioned that to my mom and I said there was no way I was starting solids and she told I should try and she kept pushing it and pushing it. It drove me insane! We started solids at 8 months because I don't think she could take watching us eat any longer. I think your LO isn't quite ready and try again in a month or 2. No rush.
If your LO is gaining and thriving then there no need to include solids. Some wait over a year and longer.
Isabelle only gets one major solid feeding (2 oz of pureed food with some cut up cooked veggies or avocado or banana) and other times she eats cereal as a snack when we eat meals. She seriously goes nuts if she doesn't get to eat with us.