Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OTC Allergy meds still not helping 2yo, what else?

I talked on here a week or two ago about my DD still coughing and having runny nose on OTC allergy meds, first Claritin, then Zyrtec. I took some of the DS momma advice and tried Delsum for the cough by it hasn't helped either. Yesterday I asked for a referral to an allergist, can't go for 5 weeks, and our ped gave me the okay to try Benedryl and offered a prescription for Singulair, which I think I will try for a month. What else can the allergist recommend for a 2yo? I hope they will test her for what allergies she has, but this time of the year I assume it is pollen. What else should I do at home as far as air filters or something? Baby bro has a stuffy nose every night/morning when he wakes up, so his allergies are even more severe since they are starting a year earlier than DDs, but he's not even 6mo so I doubt they can do anything for him. This is overwhelming. I was really optimistic my kids wouldn't have such bad allergies since I thought DH and his sis only had them because their dad smoked, but apparently I was wrong. And I also thought it was in DHs head that he can't drink milk or it give him thick chest/sinus phlegm, but with the amount of milk DD drinks, maybe that is worsening the problem. I don't know what to do to help her.

Advertisement

I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974

Last edited by yagow2001; 06-10-2008 at 08:21 AM.
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OTC Allergy meds still not helping 2yo, what else?

I don't think allergy meds are particularly helpful for a cough, even if they were caused by a runny nose associated with allergies. Also, those allergy meds might suppress the symptoms, but they don't tell you the cause!

I would increase fluids, cut out all dairy (maybe try rice/soy as a substitute), put a humidifier in your LO's room. Also, check your home for other potential allergens, like dust, pets, feather pillows, especially around their bed area. I have dust/mold/pollen allergies so I dust around the bed regularly, and wash/dry my bedding on hot to kill dust mites. Also, if you suspect pollen, you might want to stop line-drying their clothes outside, if you do that.

Good luck mama, I know it is very hard to pinpoint the cause of allergies and coughs....I've certainly had my share of them.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are you sure that it's allergies and not asthma.
If it's asthma or any kind of reactive airway issue then all the OTC meds won't work - they will still cough - it's a pretty unproductive cough though. Is that what you are experiencing?

One thing that an allergist could do would be to see if it's really allergies or asthma causing the problems but, I would think that a good pedi could make the distinction as well - might not be able to tell what they are allergic to but could tell the difference in asthma/allergies.

It's totally a myth that dairy causes or impacts mucus - I thought that too but was told that wasn't true by the pedi - but the dairy does cause more coating onto the throat, etc. which in turn makes it 'sound' like it's more mucus but it really isn't. That's the way that it was explained to me though.

Just a question but do you leave your windows open at night or leave a ceiling fan or other fan on in the room where the kids are sleeping? I know that, for mine, that's the quickest way to get lung things going!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You use Singulair with a 24 hour antihistamine like Claritan or Zyrtec every day. (Not sure if that's what you were saying)

For Jack, during a flair up, we stop his 24 hour antihistamine (he does Singulair and Claritan every night before bed) and do Benedryl every 4 hours with Delsym every 12 hours for cough.

Asthma is a possibility too. Or maybe Croup if the coughing gets extreme.

Oh, and keep your house neutral. Not too hot, not too cold. Colder is worse for allergy coughs here it seems.

Last edited by JustAugust; 06-10-2008 at 12:21 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23girls View Post
It's totally a myth that dairy causes or impacts mucus - I thought that too but was told that wasn't true by the pedi - but the dairy does cause more coating onto the throat, etc. which in turn makes it 'sound' like it's more mucus but it really isn't. That's the way that it was explained to me though.
It's pretty common for pedis to be skeptical of the dairy-mucus link. Mine is like that too. Keep in mind, though, that studies they base their opinions on are often influenced by dairy interests. Check this one out.... http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/24/suppl_6/547S
3 of the 4 authors of the study work for The Swiss Federal Dairy Research Station, a body whose "mission is to improve the competitive position of the Swiss milk producers and dairy industry" (I found this info easily through google).

But look anywhere else - naturopathy, chinese medicine, indian medicine, allergists, and there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that there is a link. I know lots of moms who swear by this.

I don't want to start a dairy-mucous debate (though i might have ) I just want the OP to get the whole picture....and get those kiddos healthy!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
weddell
Registered Users
seller

DD, 2.5 years, has some allergies (mostly food, but I'm pretty sure she also has some environmental ones too). I would be concerned about the cough. Allergies are usually itchy eyes, runny noses, sneezing. A cough is more like a cold or asthma. I mentioned dd seeming to react to environmental things at her last allergy appointment and the doctor said that 2 is too young to do much more than give zyrtec. You have to give it every day whether or not they are having a reaction. Now if there were a breathing issue, like asthma, they would do quite a bit more as that is dangerous. I think it is worth it for your LO to be seen by an allergist since a ped won't always know what to look for.

DD's allergist tested her for food allergies at 9 months old, but I was told at the same office that testing for environmental allergies wasn't reliable until they are older (not enough exposure at this age). I didn't see her regular allergist that day, so I don't know if he would have said something different.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote