Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circumcision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post
YES...I won't pierce my kids ears unless they WANT it done.

my 6 yr old says she wants it done, but it's her choice....

same with circ'ing but I think very few men who are not circ'ed grow up wanting to get that done kwim?

call me crazy but I jsut don't see that happeneing very often.
That's because all the hype about "oh noez, my boyz going to get made fun of in the locker room" is baloney, and men who are intact grow up knowing there isn't anything wrong with them at all.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
That's because all the hype about "oh noez, my boyz going to get made fun of in the locker room" is baloney, and men who are intact grow up knowing there isn't anything wrong with them at all.
Ok...I'm going to go out on a limb here , this is tottally OT sorry, but I'll say this too...I've actualy heard (though not experienced it personally) that s*x with uncirc'ed men is waaaaaay better, for him and her

I would not know...my dh is circ'ed and sadly (regretfully) my first 2 boys were too until I learned otherwise.

But I have on more than one occassion told dh I wished he wasn't
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

his body his choice just my opinion though.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Riverdavidsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that today, it's about 50/50, so the locker room theory is baloney.

However, I didn't know then what I know now, and DS is circumcised. So now we have the conflict of do we want our children to be different? Even so, I don't think we will circ #2 if there is one.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I don't think those two things can even be compared.

That being said, we won't pierce DD's ears until she's older and she wants to and can take care of them. We'll probably set an age that she can, like 12 years old.

The reason I say they are different is because if my 12 yo daugther comes to me and says she wants her ears pierced we're going to have an entirely different conversation than if my 12 yo son came to me and said he wants to be circumcised. Obviously, if it was something my son really wanted done, that's his choice. But it is NO WAY comparable to ear piercing. Ear piercing puts a tiny hole in your lobe and one has the choice to accessorize or not. Circumcision is not just "cosmetic." It's removing a functional part of the male anatomy. These things are entirely different.

We don't do either one here. But I have very strong feelings about not circumcising. But for ear piercing, I say "to each their own."

Last edited by DesertRat; 06-10-2008 at 12:04 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At least with ear piercing the most that can happen if they don't like it is they have an ugly scar, but the hole will grow over. You can't really grow an entire chunk of skin back. I can't imagine willingly cutting a piece of my son off for no good reason, I'd much rather let him know he was born perfect, and give him a loving welcome into the world, not a painful welcome.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #17
kiwi87
Registered Users

[QUOTE=beautiful7;3821846]Ok...I'm going to go out on a limb here , this is tottally OT sorry, but I'll say this too...I've actualy heard (though not experienced it personally) that s*x with uncirc'ed men is waaaaaay better, for him and her QUOTE]

It most certainly is.

I did have my daughter's ears pierced, and I do regret it now. None of my sons will be circ'd.
kiwi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #18
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Yes.

My children can choose to alter their bodies once they're of age to make that decision. Perhaps younger with ear piercing, since the life long consequences are, well, far less serious.

It isn't about pain -- it is about altering their bodies cosmetically.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)

Last edited by ThatLinGirl; 06-10-2008 at 12:14 PM.
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #19
maryjane
Registered Users

I have 5 dds. The 4 who had their ears pierced decided when they wanted it done. The other is only 20months old. I have 2 boys and neither are circumcised. It's all the same to me. For the record I have major metal allergies and my kids do too. They all had horrible reactions to having their ears pierced. They all had them done at the same time. My oldest chose to have hers repierced with 24K gold and chance that it would be ok. So far no problems. The pediatrician told me my only option with the others would be plastic earrings. It really freaks me out to think what could have happened if they had been pierced as infants. But I would never do that. I think cosmetic piercings and sugeries should be elective meaning the choice of the person having the procedure whether that's a piercing, a tattoo, or circumcision.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never make any cosmetic decision without my child's approval (or rather, then being old enough to make the choice themselves), but I think circumcision is far more cruel and has far worse future possibilities than ear piercing.