Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circumcision?

I'm with ktmelody!

I have a tattoo and have had everything pierced before (ears, tongue, nipples, hoo haa, cartilage, etc.) and my husband is circ'd.

However, I don't want to pierce Gianna's ears. That will be something she can decide for herself, plus I see it as something she can earn as an adolescent.

I will not be circ'ing my boys. My stepson is circ'd, though.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #22
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
I have 5 dds. The 4 who had their ears pierced decided when they wanted it done. The other is only 20months old. I have 2 boys and neither are circumcised. It's all the same to me. For the record I have major metal allergies and my kids do too. They all had horrible reactions to having their ears pierced. They all had them done at the same time. My oldest chose to have hers repierced with 24K gold and chance that it would be ok. So far no problems. The pediatrician told me my only option with the others would be plastic earrings. It really freaks me out to think what could have happened if they had been pierced as infants. But I would never do that. I think cosmetic piercings and sugeries should be elective meaning the choice of the person having the procedure whether that's a piercing, a tattoo, or circumcision.
That's the same with me, I'm horridly allergic to nickel which is found in most metals. The only jewellery I can use for my piercings is niobium, even titanium gave me reactions. I've even had reactions to surgical steel. I've never met someone with a similar allergy I can't even wear jeans without a layer underneath because I did once when I was younger for a few days and the metal from the snaps burned a scar into my skin. I have two circular discolaration scars now where the snaps sat. Metal allergies really, really suck.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

DH and I argued about this for a few days. The pain issue aside, I don't feel it's our choice to make since it's essentially plastic surgery. His biggest reason for wanting it done was that it looked better and was more socially acceptable. In Canada it's done so rarely now that less than 25% of boys are circumsized so it's not the norm anymore, and I don't feel that's a good enough reason anyway.

Not only that, but they tell you that complications are rare. Well DH had a problem when he was a child where the urethra becomes constricted and it's painful to urinate and they have to insert a tube to stretch it, this was caused by being circumcised. Before I was with DH I had a boyfriend who's penis was HORRIBLY scarred to the point that it looked like a bad burn or like someone had poured acid on it. And my mom told me that my dad had complications from his when he was a baby, although she didn't say what they were. So really how "rare" are the complications?? I don't want to be the one responsible if something goes wrong.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:

dear lord...again???
i could careless about the choices others make for THEIR children so i sometimes get irritated when others push their beliefs on me. NOT YOU...just a general comment.
i circumcised my son. i do not regret it. i do not think i inflicted unnecessary pain on him...it was my choice. i do not push my beliefs on others and therefore i should not be made to feel guilty by non-circing moms.

Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javamama View Post
dear lord...again???
i could careless about the choices others make for THEIR children so i sometimes get irritated when others push their beliefs on me. NOT YOU...just a general comment.
i circumcised my son. i do not regret it. i do not think i inflicted unnecessary pain on him...it was my choice. i do not push my beliefs on others and therefore i should not be made to feel guilty by non-circing moms.
javamama--the ? the OP posted should not be guilt inducing at all imo--it was if non circ moms pierced thier lo's ears....
maybe after you read the OP you should have moved on instead of reading the thread....
Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #26
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just think it's a violation of a child's human rights, to be able to choose what goes on with their body. I think the only way it should be a parent's decision if it's a medical decision which will affect their health in a huge way, which it doesn't, which is why the AAP has said there's not enough health benefits to make it anything but cosmetic surgery.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #27
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Edited: THAT IS SO WEIRD. I was in the celeb thread, not this one, and for some reason my post there posted here instead.

Last edited by naivete; 06-10-2008 at 12:57 PM.
naivete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #28
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
So really how "rare" are the complications?? I don't want to be the one responsible if something goes wrong.
The most common, aside from the obvious loss of sensation that goes along with losing all those nerve endings, including the main nerve to the frenulum being severed, is meatal stenosis, between 8-10%.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #29
Jujubazooka
Registered Users

My Mood:

LOL, I just knew this question was going to be asked when I was reading the other thread.
Lake Jewels Etsy Store
Jujubazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMarieO View Post
Yep. To me, a child's body is their own, and parents have no right to do unnecessary cosmetic procedures to it. Period.
me too.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote