Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
breakfastsurreal
Registered Users

My Mood:
What should a new parent educate themselves about?

With all the talk around here lately about vaxxing, circ, and oh even CDing, I was wondering if there are any other subjects that as a soon to be new parent that you think I should educate myself about? I really had no idea about a lot of these things until I became pregnant and I feel like a silly sheep for never thinking to question things like this before.

Advertisement

breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
nannersmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What should a new parent educate themselves about?

As long as you dont overwhelm yourself with all the information that is out there that you become to bogged down to make any kind of decision at all..educated yourself about anything you think might impact your life. Bottles, formulas, breastmilk, fabric choices, vaccines, OTC meds, Prescription meds, Cd's, Your water..the list can go on and on.

With vaccines..I say go with your gut to start becuase you have very little time to educate yourself. So if you feel comfy doing it after talking with your doc then do it, if not..don't.

Biggest thing..don't overwhelm yourself with worry about anything..just enjoy being a mom.
nannersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
breakfastsurreal
Registered Users

My Mood:

never thought about some of those!!! thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Biggest things IMO are carseat safety, vaccinations (I disagree with the pp, don't do any at all until you feel 1000% sure it's the right choice and don't let anyone give you flack for that. You'll never be able to take it back, but you can always get them later), circ'ing, and breastfeeding. Other than the carseats, these are things that are not easily changed, and all are very important to health.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think having support ppl who you can depend on before baby arrives. As in, are there friends/family who can help you by bringing meals, helping clean or watch baby while you nap, etc. Have relationships with ppl you trust for parenting advice. Don't be afraid to ask for help! Easier said than done.

So, that isn't exactly what you were asking, but sometimes I think in our culture we are too isolated from eachother and try to do everything all by ourselves.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Dee
Registered Users

I wish I would have done NON-biased reasearch with real facts about co-sleeping. I would have slept so much more those early weeks if I had. Totally agree about carseats, circ'ing and breastfeeding.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
breakfastsurreal
Registered Users

My Mood:

links to cosleeping research that is non biased?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
nannersmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont have links to cosleeping that are non biased..in fact I have no links. I co slept with 3 of my 5..honestly I coslept with all of them but didn't know with the 1st 3 that that was what I was doing and I did it because I was tired when they were and we would lay down together and fall asleep.

Here is why I coslept...I could feel them breathe at night..when it was feeding time I didn't have to get out of bed and get the baby..they were right there..so my sleep was distrubed as little as theirs was. It created this wonderful bond for me..to have them wake me up in the morning with smiles and playing with my hair or patting my face.

My youngest, now 8 mo, really doesnt like to co sleep..she likes her space, so she is in a bed right next to mine..so I share a room with her and my 2yo who is also in a bed right next to me. I like having them there close..I dont' have to get up and leave my room if they fuss in the middle of the night and I can hear them breathe.

It just makes me feel more comfortable having them there.
nannersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i would say breastfeeding--figure out who your support network is now and who you will be able to call upon when/if you need help.

circ, carseats, vaxing, i knew enough before hand and in the early days to know what i was going to do, but have learned more along the way and continue to now.

the biggest for me apart from breastfeeding i would say is SLEEP!! i have had a heck of a time with getting my boys to sleep. i wish i had read about infant sleep before the boys were born. before they were horrible to put to sleep. before i lost my mind due to lack of sleep.

congrats on your baby and good idea thinking about stuff now while your brain still works!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the other pp's have summed up the big ones already but I just wanted to say to the OP that you are way ahead of most just by asking these questions and looking for information - you will be an awesome mama!