Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Jack's first big accident. :(

i came home for lunch today (i work four days a week in pediatric social work and always spend my lunch hour at home), and my husband met me at the door and said, "ok babe, there was an accident today....." and of course i instantly well up with tears and RUN for my babies.

poor poor jack. the babysitter broke one of our cardinal rules, and that is to NEVER carry a baby IN the stroller, up the steps to come inside. the drill is, take stroller outside, THEN take baby outside, and upon returning, take baby inside, THEN take stroller outside (or just leave it outside for the time being). i know i told her about this when we first met, but i still feel guilty b/c maybe i didn't make myself clear enough.

she brought him up the brick steps in the stroller and opened the front door, accidentally bumped the stroller and sent it back down the steps (there are six steps). he fell, head first, onto the concrete sidewalk. plus the weight of the stroller, as if falling down the stairs wouldn't have been bad enough.

half of his forehead is a huge ugly goose egg with "road rash", the side of his nose is all cut up, and he can barely open his left eye, which is becoming blacker by the hour. it looks HORRIBLE. i feel so badly for him.

my husband was home, thank goodness he works from home, to help console him. the babysitter was bawling her eyes out, and ended up just going home. tyler said that jack cried for thirty straight minutes. i called the peds office (that i work at now) and asked if it was ok to let him fall asleep and they said it would be fine since it had been more than an hour, so i nursed him to sleep. he's been in ok spirits since he woke up, i think it's hurting me more than him right now.

before you're a mom, you can just never know how badly it can hurt to see your little one in pain.

Advertisement

Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Jack's first big accident. :(

My eyes are tearing up just reading your story. I couldn't imagine!

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my gosh how horrible. I hope he heals quickly, poor baby.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a childcare provider and had a similar thing happen years ago. I was taking my dd to school and the grandparents of one of my daycare kids decided to walk with us as the little girl was starting kindergarden. So their 2 grandchildren (one of them a 2 yr old little girl), walked with them and I pushed the baby, had another 2 yr old, and my dd with me. At the school, after taking the 2 girls to class, they had coffee and doughnuts in the gym for the parents, so we went. As we were getting ready to leave the school, I decided to dump my coffee cup in the trash...well...I had one 2 yr old next to me, the stroller was poised just at the door with one hand on it...and as I turned to throw out the coffee, the 2 yr old that was with her grandparents came up under the handle of the stroller, pushing it just enough for me to lose my grip and send it rolling out the door, down 3 steps, and tipping over with the baby face first. He was 6 months old, and thank goodness, he was not hurt seriously, but he ended up with a small scrape on his nose. His mama freaked out, and never really had trust in me again and ended up a couple months later taking him to a center. Funny thing is, she called me several months later telling me all the accidents he had after that!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
My eyes are tearing up just reading your story. I couldn't imagine!
oh my goodness, me too. it hurts just thinking about it.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
cadchick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs to you & baby Jack...keep us posted on how hes doing please. The next couple of days will be hard on him.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

*hugs* that is terrible I am so sorry! I am glad your DH was there to assess the situation and take over, I hope he heals fast
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take care of your sweet baby...and definitely have a talk with your babysitter. I am sure she feels horrible....and chances are she will be extra careful from this point on...I know I am!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

thank you mamas!

going back to work was so hard today! i actually spent an extra half hour at home because he needed me and i was SOOOOO upset.

the babysitter feels AWFUL. my husband said that she was bawling so hard she couldn't even speak. she called to check on jack while i was home for lunch, so my husband gave me the phone and she apologized over and over, explained what happened and said that she didn't think she would ever get over that terrible feeling. poor girl. i just told her that i really appreciated her calling, and it would do no good to feel terrible forever, that it was a lesson learned and i don't think it will ever happen again. she agreed. but honestly, i'm glad i don't have to see her tomorrow b/c i think it would be a little awkward. she only spends two hours per day here in the mornings after i'm gone, so my husband knows her way better than i do. (she's only temporary for the summer, or regular babysitter is in spain for the summer so she will be returning in to us in the fall).

poor jack hasn't eaten much since it happened, just nursed a few times and had some plain yogurt and berries for dinner. i did finally trick him into eating some chicken breast by just leaving pieces "around" him and he'd look and be like "oh...chicken!" and eat it.

i hope it doesn't look too bad in the morning cause then i'll cry all over again.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh poor baby!!!!!!!! I hope he's feeling better soon!
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote