Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
oliviab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
selective vax?

Hi I am putting my dd on a delayed-selctive vax.i didnt want to do any but dh said he felt she needed some.He said he has seen kids with some of the diseases and he wants to protect her.How did you decide which ones to get and what age did you get them at.I have read and read till my eyes blurred.Can you tell me from your own perspective which ones you got and why you felt they needed them.Please no fights I am trying to get the best info I can and to me that is everyones opinions.

Advertisement

oliviab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Frogjump
Registered Users

Re: selective vax?

I'd like more info too I have the Vax book by Dr Sears but an still making up my mind
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
jennylou
Registered Users

Well, we started with the Rotateq one, but ended up not doing the full three doses. For the next baby, we won't be getting it at all.

We did not get a flu shot (heck, I don't get them either!).

We did not get the CP vax, we might get it if DD doesn't get them or develop immunity to them by the time she turns into a teenager (but we will check titers first).

We won't get gardisal (sp?).

We have not yet gotten the MMR. I want to delay it until DD is at least 2 (which is August), but I might delay further.

Finally, I think we're going to skip the Hep B with the new baby. In doing other research, I came across some information that did not sit well with me.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
oliviab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyone else?
oliviab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylou View Post
Well, we started with the Rotateq one, but ended up not doing the full three doses. For the next baby, we won't be getting it at all.

We did not get a flu shot (heck, I don't get them either!).

We did not get the CP vax, we might get it if DD doesn't get them or develop immunity to them by the time she turns into a teenager (but we will check titers first).

We won't get gardisal (sp?).

We have not yet gotten the MMR. I want to delay it until DD is at least 2 (which is August), but I might delay further.

Finally, I think we're going to skip the Hep B with the new baby. In doing other research, I came across some information that did not sit well with me.
This is almost exactly what we have done. We did not do Rotavirus, did not do flu, did not do varicella (although we will before teen years if not immune), will not get HPV, and will delay MMR until 2.

With our new baby, we will delay Hep B until later, although not sure how long. I just don't want to give a vaccine within hours after birth.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Wishing4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not doing the rotateq one. If baby would have been born in the winter I might have considered it. I'm waiting on the chicken pox one until they need it for kindergarten. I'm waiting on the MMR one until age 2 or 3. I'm also delaying DTAP until probably 12 months. I just feel like immunizations are important but they get so many at such a small age. I probably won't do the gardisil (sp?) one either. It's just too new.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dr doesn't even do the rotavirus vaccine.

The only ones I know we'll do are HIB and Pc, and considering the MMR but definitely delayed. We are definitelly NOT doing Hep B--totally unneccessary in most infants IMO. No Varicella, no polio. We do flu shots if they are mercury free.

I was on the fence about DtaP so the doc suggested that DH and I get it, and as ODD is fully vaxed, that would pretty well protect the baby since she's not in daycare.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
bama
Registered Users
seller

We do only what is "required" to go to public school (You can get a waiver if you wish) So, no Hep B, HIB, PC, Rotovirus, No Cp until 5. We do only one shot at a time. So, at 6 months my ds has only had DTap. When its done, we will start Polio.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I won't do any, but the ones I hate the most are:

MMR- there is WAY too much controversy and the diseases aren't that bad...I don't like how this is made with 3 different live virus's and all the side effects listed on the package insert are CRAZY and too many to name. I don't like that 85% of children that have been diagnosed with autism and have been tested have the same strain of the measles virus that's in the vaccine, they have it in their gut...upto YEARS later...yikes!

DTaP- Lots of children have had seizures from this one, and Diphtheria has not been reported since 2003, Tetanus is non existent in children, and among outbreaks of Pertussis 70-80% of the cases are vaccinated children.

CP- The disease is not bad enough to risk the adverse reactions on, and immunity does not last long, leaving adults and elders at a higher risk of exposure if they're not getting boosters

Rotavirus- It was recalled in 1999 due to causing twisted intestines and deadly bowel obstructions, it was brought back in 2006, and now the "new" vaccine is causing the exact same problem as the one that was recalled

Guardasil- it only protects against the STD HPV rather than a heredity forum of cervical cancer, and even then it protects against 4 out of 127 strains, and 11 girls have died from this vaccine, and it gives false protection since it does not protect from all cervical cancers, and we're not taught that, I am sure lots of young girls will stop getting yearly paps, and not worry as much about sexual promiscuity (this is JMO though )

Flu Vaccine- is highly controversial, and the ingredients are terrible, and last year for example the population of outbreaks were 40% among vaccinated people, the risk are not worth the benefits of "maybe" not getting the flu.

I don't like the hepatitis series since most forums of hepatitis can be treated or prevented (one or the other) and those are generally caught by needles, IV drug use, sexual promiscuity, etc.

If I HAD to vaccinate my kids I wouldn't start any vaccines till age 2, I'd break them ALL up, wait 6 months in between, and I'd still be very selective.

Good luck on finding something you and your hubby both feel comfortable doing! Have you made him do any reading or reaserch? Maybe buy him the Dr Sears book and have him disregard his opinion, and read the facts.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What ones does your DH really think she needs? Start there.