Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation s/o: Please do not leave you baby/toddler alone while unbuckled or loosely buckled

... in a carseat!

A child can die from strangulation if left alone in an UNBUCKLED or LOOSELY buckled carseat!!!!

http://www.doverlawfirm.com/library/...-child-was.cfm

http://www.kansas.com/213/story/419315.html

Advertisement

Last edited by byumommy; 06-12-2008 at 08:19 AM.
byumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
kristy29
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o: Please do not leave you baby/toddler alone while unbuckled or loosely buckle

Wow, that's scary. I've put my LO in her car seat at night when she was congested because it helped her breath better to sit upright. I always did it with her in the same room as me, and I was told to do it by a nurse at my doctor's office.

I won't be doing it again though!!
kristy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o: Please do not leave you baby/toddler alone while unbuckled or loosely buckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy29 View Post
Wow, that's scary. I've put my LO in her car seat at night when she was congested because it helped her breath better to sit upright. I always did it with her in the same room as me, and I was told to do it by a nurse at my doctor's office.

I won't be doing it again though!!

I think it would be ok as long as she is buckled securely so she can't wiggle out!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Horrifying. She strapped the 2 year old overnight because it was 'fussy'?!?Even if it is buckled tightly, I have a really big problem with the idea of immobilizing a child in a carseat for nearly 6 hours. Imagine how that would feel to an adult. That's probably how it feels for a 2 year old. I can't believe people do this kind of thing to their kids!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for posting this. I wish I had known how dangerous it was last summer, we had just bought our swing set and DH and I were loading it into the trailer attached to the back of the car, so I let DD sit in her car seat (unbuckled) and watch a dvd on our car-player. A few minutes later she was screaming, she'd tried to get out of her seat and had the strap wrapped around her neck! We were lucky that we were right there to help immediately, but I do wish I'd known before.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Not to belittle any mamas here, but it says not to right on the label on mine, and again in the manual. Are things marked differently on the other side of the border? Honestly, I thought this was a well known and documented risk!
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just because there is a label, doesn't mean people read or abide by it. Unfortunately most children aren't even secured properly in their carseat while the vehicle is moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Not to belittle any mamas here, but it says not to right on the label on mine, and again in the manual. Are things marked differently on the other side of the border? Honestly, I thought this was a well known and documented risk!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Kristen82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is really really sad Who straps a 2 year old in a carseat (while not even in a car!) to sleep or as discipline?

Kristen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Trin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seems more like neglect IMO. Who straps a 2 year old in their carseat for fussyness?? If it was something that calmed the 2 year old down then the mom never should have left the room, she should have stayed with her all night. It just seems like she had a fussy toddler, she didn't want to deal so she strapped her into the carseat and went to bed??? wtf?
Trin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that was just plain neglectful.. That was Horrible.

I don't think in normal cases a child can die that easily in a carseat, or you'd hear about it more happening on long trips or whatever because the child fell asleep. you shouldn't strap your child into a carseat for 6 hours unless you are in a car for 6 hours, and even then, take a couple breaks. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote