Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Help! Daughter's cough & wheezing - do we go in?

In the middle of the night out of nowhere my daughter developed a very hoarse barking cough and was very uncomfortable - tossing and turning in her sleep. Within an hour she started wheezing as well and her breathing became pretty shallow. I started to panic and was going to take her to the ER but went online and we tried a steam shower which really helped and after about a half hour of the steam shower she fell back asleep.

This morning she still has the awful cough but no wheezing yet. Do I take her in? Is this something you just let pass its course? She has no fever (yet). We are really, really strapped for cash so I don't want to take her in if the doc is going to say "give it a few weeks and try to keep her comfortable"

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Daughter's cough & wheezing - do we go in?

Just watch her, but I wouldn't take her in. Even if it does turn out to be croup there is nothing they can do for that. Just watch for a strider (i think that's what it's called...) Which is almost like a "gasp" on breath intake. If that gets really loud and pronounced--call... But only one day and she fell asleep? I think she's doing okay!
Also, the doc will have you try a steam shower, vaporizer, etc. to see if they make things better. And since they do, I think you are good. Keep us updated and hang in there!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

My son had two bouts of croup last winter-- the tell tale sign was the barking cough-- reminds me a seal. Steam from the bathroom shower or going outside if it's cold and dry both help. Both times we did end up in the ER. Both times we tried going outside in the cool air, steaming in the bathrooms but he was getting worse-- drooling, not moving much, really pale.

What you need to watch for if it's croup is if the child's not getting enough air. Stridor can be seen sort of, watch the little dent in neck, above the collar bone-- it goes in with each breath if the breathing is labored-- it sounds worse when the child is agitated and crying but better when resting. If the child calm (resting, not moving) and it still sounds bad, that's when you should seek treatment.

Another biggie for croup: No antihistamines or decongestants because they can dry air passages that the moisture is trying to open.

And of course ((HUGS)) I hope your little one feels better.

(Yikes, sorry about the spelling errors... editting them now!)

Last edited by MamaMegan; 09-27-2006 at 10:20 AM.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
seball
Registered Users

Lots of good advice here, definitely go with your gut though...

My daughter had croup a few months ago, and they DID prescribe a steroid that reduces swelling in the air passages so that they can breathe better... So they can do something other than just recommend steam or cold air. My daughter was showing signs of stridor, so that is why they prescribed the treatment.

Main thing is to keep her as calm as possible. Also, it will get WORSE at night, so be prepared for a rough night tonight. Doc told us that it's typically worse on the 2nd and 3rd nights. If you have a cool air humidifier, that would help her as well. Keeping her slightly inclined helps too--helps the passages stay clear of fluids.

I hope she gets better fast and that you all get some rest.
seball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys! It definitely sounds like she has croup. She is doing well now, playing and whatnot but she is still coughing away. I was up with her for 4 hours last night so I am prepared for a worse night tonight.

I will watch for signs of stridor. It was so scary to listen to her wheezing last night. I have no experience with croup so I wasn't sure what it was. After listening to you guys and doing more research on the net though, she has all the tell tale signs.

Does anyone know how long croup is contagious after symptoms show? We were hoping to drive down to see my in-laws this weekend.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
seball
Registered Users

It depends on what viral infection she has that caused the croup.

Croup isn't actually a specific type of virus, it's just the name that they give for the symptoms.

She likely had a cold/virus that started it, and the croup is what describes her difficulty in breathing (basically restricted/reduced airway).

Make sense? You might just see how she is by Friday, and then decide if she feels well enough to go. YOu might also be making up for lost sleep this weekend!

Take care...
seball is offline   Reply With Quote