Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Users
s/o going from 1 to 2

so does anyone have any words of wisdom about the transition from one to two kids? dd will be 2 on saturday (2.5 when #2 arrives) - so i'm fully expecting that this is going to be a real challenge for all of us (except maybe the new baby).

is there anyway to pave the way/prepare dd for sharing us with her sibling? or is she too young to really understand it until she's faced with the reality?

Katie(31) - Molly (9-30-04) & Allen (3-11-07) ~ Feedback: Old DS PIN Ebay
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: s/o going from 1 to 2

My oldest was 19 months (well, 5 days shy) when #2 made his entrance into the world. The only jealousy problems we had at the time...were when I was holding the baby, and my toddler wanted to sit on my lap..he'd try to push the baby off (unsuccessfully). It was hard getting him to understand that I couldn't just jump up and do whatever he wanted..whenever he wanted...because I had a baby to tend to too. One of my friends suggested telling the baby, sometimes, "Hold on, I have to help <older child> for a minute." Even though the baby doesn't understand...the toddler is hearing you tell the baby that the toddler is still important too and is deserving of attention. The problems that we have now...are almost 2.5yo is jealous in that he does NOT want to share HIS toys...and tries to acquire every his. He also pushes a lot and runs into my 13mo old on purpose to knock him down.....i don't know if this is jealousy/aggression or my dh's influence on how to play :/

Good luck!
Jenelle SAHM to Kain (01/27/04) Drake (08/22/05)
~*55 lbs lost, 25 to go!*~
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote