Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
PLEASE tell me this is phase

my 5 almost 6 yo dd is sooooo emotional, she cries about EVERYTHING and it's driving me insane!!! not only that but she's a scaredy-cat. i don't know what to do!!! she acts like a 2 or 3 yo. is there something i can do to help this go away? it's been going on for about a year.

marymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: PLEASE tell me this is phase

I think it may be a phase, but from what i understand, girls can jsut be like that. My 2 older girls are 4 and 5 and they are like that. and since i wil have 3 girls entering puberty around the same time, I hope this is something they outgrow!!
Melissa, At home, homeschooling, proud LDS Mom to 3 miracles on Earth, 5 angels in heaven, Nothing butt cloth is now closed. Thank you for 5 years of support.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

My aunt, who has a degree in early childhood, told me that around 5 children's hormones change and it is really like a puberty phase!! My oldest dd went through a ton of things at 5 and when she turned 6 it got better. I'd spend lots of time with her and verify her feelings, but then not go overboard either. She'll realize that some things aren't worth crying about.

My 7 year old cried every day when we would do school work. I told her in a matter-a-fact voice (not angry and not poor you) to stop and that if she stops crying we could finish faster and then she could go do what she wanted the rest of the day. She has now done much better and even tells me that she's glad she didn't cry because now she's getting done super fast! Maybe tell her about a natural consequence or reward having to do with her behavior and circumstances surrounding the crying.
HS mom to 4 kiddos- dd-12, dd-9, dd-6 (autism spectrum) and ds-4
allycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
My Mood:

my nephew went through a phase like that and at 11yrs old still is!!! But I think the main problem was that he got the attention and coddling from it. (everytime he cried, grandma or mom would go running to him hugging him telling him its ok and buying him stuff) So he kept it up. I understand comforting some one when they're crying but this was over silly things like, the puppy at the store is so cute, can't we take it home then cry for it. So my big suggestion is not to encourage the behavior, don't be mean, but let dk know that its not ok to act like that over silly things, if the situation justify's crying I'd understand, but not silly things.
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote