Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:
Question Does My Daughter Have Purple Eyes?

I know nobody cares about my DD's eyecolor as much as I do, but I'm absolutely fascinated by it! She's 11 weeks old, and I believe it's unusual for babies' eyecolors to change after about 4-5 weeks. The pediatrician said this is probably her permanent color.

DD's genetics are: Sicilian, Portuguese, American Indian, a little bit of African, and a little bit of Turkish. I have brown eyes. My DH has brown eyes. All of DD's grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great grandparents have had brown eyes. DH and I were born with brown eyes; everyone else in our family had their eyes change to brown by the time they were 3 weeks old. So... Where the heck did she get this color from?

I know that, looking at it directly, it just reads as "grayish", which is weird enough given her genetics, but I isolated the colors in it in MS paint so I could have a closer look, and a lot of the colors read as shades of lilac, puce, mauve, and other purply shades.

I've had people in grocery stores stop me and say, "Wait, are her eyes purple?"... I'm not the only one who seems to see it. What do you think, looking at her photo and the isolated colors? BTW, nothing is a trick of the light or the clothes she's wearing, the colors are the same in all her photos (I could show more).

So what do you think? Some kind of mutation? A beautiful oddity? Or is it all in my head, and is her eyecolor really nothing special?

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
mommy020507
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does My Daughter Have Purple Eyes?

shes adorable
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't know but she is adorable and her eyes are beautiful!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

on my screen I am seeing gray with a hint of blue-green...lets see some more pics.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't tell by the pic...sorry Mama! But my LO's eyes were dark purple until she was about 10 months old. Then they turned chocolate brown. In some lights they still shine purple though That's pretty cool!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I can't tell the exact color but they sure are beautiful eyes!!!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

she is gorgeous with lovely eyes to boot, but they aren't showing as purple on my screen... they look like a very deep, greyish blue to me. no matter what color they are they're beautiful! so large & expressive.
growgrowgrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many babies have eyes that are an odd swirl of colors for a few months. My girls had aqua blue eyes for 2 years, so they can change much later than 11 weeks. Its hard to tell in pics. Your dd is cute though.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
mtate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

they look grayish blue to me too mama, but maybe it's just my screen. either way she is beautiful and her eyes are gorgeous! watch out with the boys when she gets bigger!
I too find my DD's eyes "dreamy" they are a BRILLIANT shade of bright blue! They are SOO impressive, but they are not from me... I can thank her gorgeous blue eyed dark haired daddy for them
he is serbian, irish, and a mix of a million things.. I am sicilian, northern italian and irish but am the only one besides my mom that has green/yellow eyes... everyone else has a distinct shade of brown...
MAYBE your DD will be a "color changer"... my mom said my eyes were all sorts of different colors as I was growing up... including PURPLE. They still change, mostly with mood, but not as often as they used to...
POST SOME MORE PICS! I LOVE TO SEE BABIES!!!

mtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They look a gorgeous shade of grey to me. However, I don't know about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBunny View Post
IShe's 11 weeks old, and I believe it's unusual for babies' eyecolors to change after about 4-5 weeks. The pediatrician said this is probably her permanent color.
What I've read generally says eye color can change up through the first two years, and that happened with my first dd--from steel blue to steel grey to grey-green to hazel (green and brown). At one she still had grey eyes, at two they were the greenish. I have a pic of me at 6 months with blue eyes, and mine are hazel. A pp mentioned that hers change with mood--I know mine change depending on how tired I am. (Almost all brown when I am tired, mostly green when I'm awake and happy.)
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 06-17-2008 at 12:23 AM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote