Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:
A sleeping phase or a sleeping problem?

My ds is 5.5 months and is not getting enough naps according to our ped. At the 4 month check she said he should be taking 4 one hour naps each day. At that time he was totally flipping out every time we tried to put him to bed-like 45 minutes at naptime and up to an hour at bedtime. Not fun. He has since stopped doing that but is only taking 3-4 30 minute naps each day. I didn't worry about it before because he was waking up happy and alert. Now he is waking up grumpy and still obviously sleepy. I have tried to put him back to sleep after he wakes up and have also tried letting him fuss (Don't worry. I never let it go longer than 5 minutes and I sit outside the door and intervene immediately if it becomes more than fussing) For the past 2 days his naps have been closer to only 25 minutes unless I hold him or nurse him literally the entire time. Then the naps are closer to an hour each . Is this just a phase or do I need to take him back the ped before his 6month check to talk to her about this again?

Advertisement

Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Blankie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A sleeping phase or a sleeping problem?

Your DS the same way as mine. From the day he was born he never naped longer than 45 minutes. At 5 months he took 3 30-40 min naps and now at 6 months he is etting better-takes 2 regular 50-60 min naps and sometimes a short afternoon nap. If your baby gets total 13-14 hours of sleep you don't have to worry. Remember-every child is individual-some sleep some don't...
Blankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Blankie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One more thing.. My DS started to sleep better after I started to co-sleep with him.
Blankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
crpsmnwife
Registered Users

It sounds like your little man is attached - in a positive way. He knows what's right and he knows that he can find it in your arms and at your breast. I've had the same issue with my son - he's now 8 1/2 months. Until last week he took all of his naps either in my arms or lying next to me in our bed (about an hour each). If I tried to get him to sleep alone he would get no more than a 40 minute nap. I began to lay him in his crib for naps 4 days ago - To date he has taken about 3 naps in his crib. I am determined to get him to sleep in his crib during the day, but I, like you, refuse to shatter the trust that we've worked so hard to build. It is a struggle to nurse him down and then attempt to lay my zonked-out baby in the crib, only to have his internal radar go off and his eyes pop wide open!
I would love to know how other attached moms get their little ones to sleep alone without it being a traumatizing experience for anyone involved.
crpsmnwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know there are a lot of threads about 4-5-month-old sleep problems, and it's been a while since I was there, but if you get a chance check out the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It talks a lot about reasonable ranges of sleep for different ages, and how to help children get that much. Big points: Make sure to put start babies' nap routines BEFORE they're obviously tired; routine-routine-routine; early bedtimes. GL!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
golgi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could've written your same post - although I have twins that had the same problem. They were great nappers up until they were about 3 months old, and then they wanted NOTHING to do with naptime. It was soooooooo tough. They would get SO overtired and crabby... made for some really LOOOOOOONG days.

When it finally started getting warmer out, I started taking them for walks in the stroller two times every day. They always fell asleep in the stroller. So, even though I still never had any time alone to get things done, at least they were happier when they were awake. I really dreaded the days when it rained!!!

In the past two weeks, they've suddenly started taking regular naps. I don't know how, or why, or what changed - But now they are taking a nap around 10 am and one around 2-3 pm. I feel like I have so much extra time now!! They are much happier as well.

I feel your pain. Just keep trying... put him down when he falls asleep on you (My twins always fall asleep nursing). I definitely think its just a phase that he will get through.
golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I do start to put him down as soon as he shows that he's tired. He's generally awake for 2 hours and then starts to get sleepy. I try to take a walk around when his first nap or 2nd nap of the day should be. He also sleeps every time he's in the car. When the days get really long I drive to the Target that is 30 minutes away instead of the one that is 5 minutes away just so I can get some peace. I go back to work in mid August and I'm worried about how he is going to do at daycare. They obviously can't nurse him down there...
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to ask if he's maybe trying to go to 2 longer naps...DS did that around 5-6 months, seemed early to me, but he just seemed to do better when I stretched his awake hours...

About being worried with going back to work in August - a lot will change in two months - there is hope! I think that 4-5 month nap period is the toughest, like a pp said, there are always posts about napping...he'll find his rhythm.

Yeah, I guess if you're going to do a daycare, you'll be probably incorporating bottles into his naptime, then, hmm? You might try introducing a lovey/stuffed animal right now as part of his bedtime routine - hold it next to him while you nurse him, put him down with it anytime he sleeps, etc. That might help when you transfer him to the daycare. Sorry, that was kinda off-topic LOL!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #9
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpsmnwife View Post
I would love to know how other attached moms get their little ones to sleep alone without it being a traumatizing experience for anyone involved.
DD is 5 mos, our nap routines have been a crazy mess lately too, Mostly ever since she broke her first tooth. Now her second has come in so it is messing up her naps completely. But anyway, it seems that 3-4 30 min naps seems like such short sporadic naps. Lacie typically takes 2 naps a day. Hopefully she'll sleep for an hr or 2 at a time. It's diff every day really. But anyway, I used to nurse her to sleep and slowly slip away (while she was in our bed). Now, she won't nurse down ever since she started breaking teeth so the only way I can get her to sleep is but putting her in the wrap and walking or bouncing her to sleep and laying her in the bed and then i will have to lay next to her and nurse her for a couple mins til she's completely out. What a project right? I'm hoping it's all just a phase. I'm starting to really resent teething haha. Anyway, I don't know if I actually helped or added to your problem. lol.

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote