Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hugs Please - Feeling like a horrible mommy :(

Thanks so much everyone! I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one who has ever done this.

Advertisement

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
nannersmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cautions about breaking a window becuase I always thought that is what I would do..those freaking car windows shatter and go ever where. My drivers side window busted once and I had glass all the way across the backseat. Now imagine if you kid was in their seat with glass right next to them It is definitely a last resort but a resort if someone can't get there in time.

My hubby is a locksmith and was called out just a few weeks ago to open the door for a women who had locked her keys and her kid in the car. The police said nothing bad to her. Accidents happen and there is no way in heck you are going to jail for something you didn't mean to do.

I am sorry you had to go through this, it is extremely scary. I am glad your little darling was fine and that you are both safe and sound now.
nannersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
Beebug123
Registered Users

So sorry! I've been in your shoes before and it was the worst feeling in the world. I remember being hysterical and my friend trying to calm me down. DH left the keys in the ignition and when I got out to get DD out I hit the "unlock" so I thought, and instead locked the door.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Moms and women in general tend to be way to judgemental of each other. I am sorry this happened to you mama but you are in no way a bad mom because of it.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG, this same thing happened to my sister on Sunday. Her LO is 6 weeks and her car started freaking out and locking/unlocking the car. She called me and I told her to call 911. We got there and there was an ambulance and a fire truck. They were trying to slimjim the window. Finally, they popped the little side window on her Explorer driver side. DN was on the passenger side. She reached into grab him and he was all sweaty and red and MAD AS HECK. He is fine, but she felt like the worst mama ever! Plus, some old man yelled at her that she shouldn't have closed the doors. Well, DUH! It's not like she did it on purpose! Hugs to you mama! It happens to the best. She's fine, just remember that!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seems to me that you were were you were working your hiney off trying to get it open. That makes you a good mommy!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #17
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

You are NOT a horrible mom at all! You were doing everything you could!!! I'm so glad that everything is fine! I live in Florida [searing hot heat] and I have a huge fear of this so we had an extra key made and we put it in one of those magnetic holders and hid it under the car where I can reach it but no one knows where it's at...that way I have a key "just in case"!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #18
firstkid4me
Registered Users

You're not a bad mama, things like this happen! You did exactly the right thing, the previous poster was right, your daughter could have been seriously hurt if you broke the window! I hate when people say crap that's not helpful (like when you have a tantruming 3 year old and a fussy baby and they say something like, "Man you've got your hands full!" I usually want to tell them where to shove it!) And where does she get off saying you're being reported, did she think they would send it to family services or something? What a biatch!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #19
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama, you are NOT a bad mommy. Your child was not alone in the car while you went shopping. It was an accident that could happen to anyone, anytime and you don't need to beat yourself up over it. I'd def do what Terra said and go out and buy something to keep a copy of your car keys hidden under it. I used to have one of those, it was called The Hubby, lol. But now that he's away I'm going to have to get me one of those.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #20
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for all the support. About the mean lady, I was also thinking that if I broke the window she could get hurt. She would have woken up and then started crying and flailing around in broken glass. I figured if the FD couldn't get the car open, they would at least know the safest way to break the glass. Oh well, I was really po'd at her, but hopefully I will just remember how it felt and make sure that I'm more supportive when others are in similar situations. And now it seems funny to me that I thought I could possibly get in trouble with the police, I was just already panicking, and that news story was what popped into my head. I'm a little paranoid already without anyone's help.

The hubby was very supportive when we picked him up from work, and took us out for chinese. Oh, and as Terra mentioned, I'm thinking I will get a little key keeper and put it somewhere (hopefully) very inconspicuous on the car. In the meantime, dh suggested keeping my keys in my pocket.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone again. You mamas are great!

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote