Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 105 Degree Fever, Blue Limbs and Lips, 6 Hours in the ER and.......

I would definetly seek another opinion with the blueness. Sometimes it isn't really an indication of anything (as per my one ds's lips always turned blue with a fever and he was fine) but most times it is something. Cool baths, alternating tylenol and motrin for the fever but I would definetly call your doctor back. Your doctor should be able to check his oxygen levels in the office. Good luck. Lots of prayers and hugs.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

how's he doing momma?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
Babydust
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoto127 View Post
Blue is a lack of oxygen for whatever reason. Did the Dr's do an EKG or any other heart testing other than listening? And, did they take a urine sample? Has your LO been urinating regularly? Lots of wet diapers...and as wet as normal? Blue could also be from toxins backing up in the bloodstream if there is any kidney or liver problem going on also! Or, it could be a mild asthma thing...is he having trouble breathing? If he even seems to have the slightest problem breathing, I'd take him in and see about getting him an albuterol treatment. If there is a history of heart issues (even murmurs that closed, or anything in the family) I'd bring him back and get that tested. And, did you try a cool bath to break the fever. It helps. Oh, and I don't want to come off as scary with all of this, it's just things to look out for! But, blue is NOT good and they shouldn't have sent you home...because most likely, it's a lack of oxygen which is NOT good, and can cause long term issues if the brain goes w/o oxygen for too long.
They did an O2 saturation on him and it was normal. Doing an ekg on him is hard as his internal organs are being squashed by his funnel chest. They did do a urine test and he is wetting as normal. He always sounds like hes having trouble breathing as he was also born with Tracheomalasia. I have a nebulizer at home and may give him some ventilin today. I have been doing the cool bath...actually hes been playing in his pool. Thanks!
Babydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
Babydust
Registered Users

My Mood:
Exclamation Re: 105 Degree Fever, Blue Limbs and Lips, 6 Hours in the ER and.......

Well this morning started off with a bang. Brodie was awake crying at 6 and when I went in to get him he was red, red, red and HOT HOT HOT. 104.7 ARG So I gave him more Motrin and a bottle but he only wanted 2oz instead of the whole bottle. Hes also got a stuffy nose so I put some baby vicks on him and that helped him to drink. I feel like I am going in circles. Its going to be a LONG day.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
littlemisses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh momma I will be praying for you today and your little one. My son was like this at 4 months and had brochilitis(sp) where he was infamed in the smaller valves of his lungs. I would hound the doctors and the hospitals until they found something.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #16
pillywiggins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Tracheomalacia is a disorder that is due to congenital narrowing of the wind pipe. This causes difficulty in breathing and noisy breathing. This condition subsides as the child grows as the windpipe increases iun size. One does not have to do anything about it. If the child has lot of noisy breathing, making him lie down on his tummy (prone) may decrease the stridor.
Is this what what your LO has? IF so, it sounds like he's starting to have more difficulty breathing from congestion and with a narrow windpipe, it's going to be more difficult. I would make sure to keep those nebulizer treatments up. This might be why his lips were turning blue.

My little twin at 3 months turned blue. My babysitter called me while I was shopping and asked if it was normal that she was blue...uh NO! I booked home, called DH (police officer) who came screaming home with lights on and ran her up to the ER. Her hands, arms, legs, and feet were so blue they were purple.
Come to find out after going to a Ped Cardiologist that she has low/slow circulation and sometimes it's not fast enough to move it through her hands and feet but it won't harm her. She is now 20 months old and still sometimes turns blue but it's getting better with age.
I guess the point is, I know the feeling when your LO turns blue. It's scary S**t. I would say given the fever, starting of a cold and born with Tracheomalasia this could be the reason why you had a bout of blueness. Did the doctor say if this could happen? since all the tests came back normal, I'd ask the doc to see if this is something you might have to look forward to next time he gets a fever/cold.
I'll be thinking of you today. Let us know how he's doing later today.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #17
Babydust
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes...thats what he has. Hes no longer blue but the fever is aweful. Im going to give him a neb before he goes down for a nap. I will update later. Thanks Mama's
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #18
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydust View Post
They did an O2 saturation on him and it was normal. Doing an ekg on him is hard as his internal organs are being squashed by his funnel chest. They did do a urine test and he is wetting as normal. He always sounds like hes having trouble breathing as he was also born with Tracheomalasia. I have a nebulizer at home and may give him some ventilin today. I have been doing the cool bath...actually hes been playing in his pool. Thanks!
Tracheomalasia is a pretty non-complicating thing to have. BUT it can be serious! I would take him to a pediatric pulmonologist! My DD who is 20m now HAD this as well as asthma and severe allergies. You could literally hear her from the other side of the house. Her 1st year of life was FILLED with nothing but meds and treatments and drs. I know how scary it is mama! If your baby is turning blue, then there has got the be an explination.

My 1st thoughts are, 1. The Tracheomalasia is causing issues due to him having some kind of vuris and being stuffy. In this case he needs to have that checked out. I think they can do some kind of a scope to make sure things are doing alright down there.

2. He has trouble with blood flow.

3. He's just one of those kids who can not handle a high fever so well. And turning blue is just his way of dealing with it.

4. He's got something else going on with his breathing. Chest xrays can MISS things, they have on my dd twice.

IMO, you need a second opinion. I really think the fever is just a bad virus and will subside soon. but you never know. And it's best with kids who already have heath issues to BE SURE!

I will be thinking of you all and praying for a GREAT outcome and try to rest while he is. Don't stress mama!

Last edited by Nikkis_Little_Ladies; 06-18-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #19
Babydust
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well he konked out in the playpen while i was throwing a load of diapers in the wash. I am bleaching his whole stash today because if this is a virus I want to keep up with it and get it away asap. I didnt get to give him a neb so I guess I will try later on....

Is it time for bed yet?

Last edited by Babydust; 06-18-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: opps
Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #20
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

and for you and your LO. Try and rest while he is, you've got to take care of yourself too