Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Story about co-sleeping on the Today Show

They are talking about it this morning. I hope it comes on before I go to work- I want to see what they say.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
camelfam
Registered Users
seller

Re: Story about co-sleeping on the Today Show

Did anyone see it?
Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...38591#25238591

Seemed to talk more about "involuntary" co-sleeping, when kids come in the bed at night, and we should wean the kids from the family bed because nobody sleeps as well.

hogwash

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!

Last edited by 4xMommy; 06-18-2008 at 12:50 PM.
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
SmileyMoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ugh, they show one side of the story. Idiotic news media needs to go check out Dr. Sears website
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyMoo View Post
Ugh, they show one side of the story. Idiotic news media needs to go check out Dr. Sears website
ITA! When she said NO ONE gets good sleep when you are sharing a bed, I thought ummmm well did you interview me or a lot of other people who do co sleep and get better sleep doing so?? NOPE!

You can tell though just from her perspective that she is very much into the self soothing and even said that its best to wean them early when they can still be "contained" in a crib.

Now I agree that co sleeping may not be for everyone and not everyone does get good sleep in the family bed...
But please...gotta love the media and their generalizations!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
SmileyMoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got no sleep when my baby wasn't in the bed with me. I was soooo scared of sids that after the 4th night of not sleeping I listened to my motherly instinct and took my baby to bed with me. She is now a healthy 7 year old and sleeps in her OWN bed with no fuss, all night and none of this "mom I forgot to brush my teeth" crap like that video tries to make it seem ALL kids do. My 5 and 3 year old also sleep in their own beds, all night with no fuss after having slept with us 2-3 years.

Co-sleeping isn't for everyone but I'm so sick of always hearing one side of the story.

Last edited by SmileyMoo; 06-18-2008 at 01:09 PM.
SmileyMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyMoo View Post
I got no sleep when my baby wasn't in the bed with me. I was soooo scared of sids that after the 4th night of not sleeping I listened to my motherly instinct and took my baby to bed with me. She is now a healthy 7 year old and sleeps in her OWN bed with no fuss, all night and none of this "mom I forgot to brush my teeth" crap like that video tries to make it seem ALL kids do. My 5 and 3 year old also sleep in their own beds, all night with no fuss after having slept with us 2-3 years.

Co-sleeping isn't for everyone but I'm so sick of always hearing one side of the story.
Exactly! That was originally what started me on the road to Co Sleeping was the SIDS thing. I wanted him in the same room so I could check on him! And then it just evolved from there and after doing more research I realized how good it was for him too!

I'm looking for to having DS #2 with us too

My DH wants to transition when the youngest is about 2 years old. I told him talk to me in 2 years then!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Nebula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The media and the "experts" always conveniently ignore the fact that co-sleeping is the worldwide norm and in primitive societies that remain close to nature and are exceedingly physically and emotionally healthy as a result, co-sleeping obviously does not result in unhealthy sleep patterns. The societies that don't practice it as the norm are the ones full of unhealthy sleep patterns and emotional issues!

Co-sleeping isn't for everyone, but dang, can people be ignorant.

Last edited by Nebula; 06-18-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
The media and the "experts" always conveniently ignore the fact that co-sleeping is the worldwide norm and in primitive societies that remain close to nature and are exceedingly physically and emotionally healthy as a result, co-sleeping obviously does not result in unhealthy sleep patterns. The societies that don't practice it as the norm are the ones full of unhealthy sleep patterns and emotional issues!

I absolutely love the way you write and express yourself. I couldn't agree more with what you said
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylee View Post
I absolutely love the way you write and express yourself. I couldn't agree more with what you said
I was thinking the same thing!! All your posts are always so eloquent [even if not everyone agrees on the subject] you can sure convey a wonderful message mama!

And that is true!!

Does anyone happen to know in the Western World when/how/why we got away from centuries of family practices and *think* we are doing better or have progressed more? It's very interesting to me how this has all come about. I know it is fairly recent [like a few hundred years] to have moved away from primitive 'attached' [for lack of a better word] parenting.