Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Our ped gave DS a vaccine against my wishes, pls help me draft a letter (long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymommy View Post
I would not address the letter "to whom it may concern". Make some calls and find out who the head of public relations is and who the regional president and vice presidents are.
Well, it's a small office -- the one I go to is a satellite office of the bigger one in a city nearby. I was going to send it to both offices. The frustrating part, is I was seen by a dr I haven't seen before, and I was so flustered and upset, I left without my receipt, so I don't know her name....I mean it's in my record now, but the letter lacks some impact without names.

Advertisement

You may strive to be like them but seek not to make them like you."
-- Kahlil Gibran
aidensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
aidensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Our ped gave DS a vaccine against my wishes, pls help me draft a letter (long)

ok, here's a rough rough draft of what I have now..I don't know how I should end the letter....:

My son xxx was seen by your clinic on June 19, 2008 for a 12-month wellness appointment.

During the appointment, I discussed with the doctor that we wished to wait on administering the chickenpox vaccine until xx was older. I explained to the doctor I was concerned about any adverse reaction to the vaccine , and that I would have the vaccine administered at a later date. The doctor acknowledged this request and confirmed with me before she left the room that no chicken pox vaccination would be given at that time.

Moments later, the nurse came into vaccinate my son. She did not inform me of any of the vaccines she was giving him, and while she was injecting the first needle into his thigh, I realized she had brought three needles (instead of two) into the room. I reminded the nurse that xx was not to get a chickenpox vaccine at that appointment, and she promptly replied that she had just administered the vaccine and it was too late. She also was quick to say that no one had informed her of my decision to avoid that shot.

I had clearly NOT given consent to this vaccine, and feel my rights as a mother were violated and the health care of my son was compromised. I received no form of apology for such a serious oversight, and my concerns about the ramifications of the vaccine were rudely brushed aside. I am extremely angered by the mistake as well as the lack of concern given after the incident.
You may strive to be like them but seek not to make them like you."
-- Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by aidensmommy; 06-20-2008 at 08:57 AM.
aidensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I say forget the letter and start calling. Yes the nurse is human, and we all make mistakes, but she needs to realize that the way she reacted to her mistake was NOT OKAY! She shrugged it off. What if your son was allergic to something that she didn't pay attention to? He could die! Would she shrug that off? I say BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF MANAGEMENT IMMEDIATELY! They will want to know that she made the mistake, since if it happens again, they could get hit with a major lawsuit.

ETA: I just read your letter, since it was posted while I was typing, and it sounds very professional, but I'd still make the phone call.

Last edited by nothingtosee; 06-20-2008 at 08:58 AM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
tommymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmommy View Post
Well, it's a small office -- the one I go to is a satellite office of the bigger one in a city nearby. I was going to send it to both offices. The frustrating part, is I was seen by a dr I haven't seen before, and I was so flustered and upset, I left without my receipt, so I don't know her name....I mean it's in my record now, but the letter lacks some impact without names.
I bet you could call the appointment desk and see who saw your son last. You could say you needed to ask her a question about something that you spoke about during the appointment. They can't not give you her name. On the off chance that they transfer you to her, just tell her you need her name and ask her for the nurses name as well. She will probably just tell you and try to get off the phone ASAP. If she does get defensive just say that you understand that it was a mistake but that you need to make sure that it doesn't happen again and that you need to take it from here in case he does develop chicken pox.

Good luck mama!
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
sahm108
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***la
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
See, this is where I am torn. I don't like this nurse very much, but she still is human, and humans make mistakes. I think her personality rubs me wrong, but it's also quite clear her workload at that office is incredible...her un-charming personality aside, she's still usually good with the kids and keeps the office running smoothly. I fear that filing anything with the licensing board could almost be malicious -- I mean that could cost her her job, right? I just hate to spread negative actions into this world.
You are your children's protector. What if you found out that this nurse did the same thing to another family a couple months ago? Would you be upset that nothing was done to correct her then? She chose to skip the step of going over the shots and having you sign for them before administering them. Whether there was a lack of communication or not, if she had correctly done her job the mistake would have been caught before your son was injected. Don't allow yourself to feel bad for protecting your son.

The nurse should have had you sign for consent before giving the vaccines. Because she chose to rush through her job, a mistake happened. Next time it could be worse. She showed no remorse. I really think she needs a reality check. By choosing to let this pass by, you are basically excusing her actions.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
mia&seansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i agree...i'd be calling. YES she's human. but i doubt that she followed protocol. i bet she's supposed to discuss what she's about to inject your child with before administering the shot. or at least ask if you have any questions. i would be FUMING.

i hope your ds is fine and doesn't have a reaction to the vaccine.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
tommymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I disagree. I would send letters (plural!) certified mail.

If he does get chicken pox (not likely ) and needs treatment during the time your coverage lapses and they won't cover it, you'll need any and all documentation for your lawyer. (It wouldn't go that far, as they were obviously wrong, but you want them to take you seriously!)
tommymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
iammommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am an RN and I can tell you that before any medication is given there has to be a drs order either verbal or written. Chances are she is not a nurse probably a medical assistant which means she really needs an order to give a medication (vaccines included). You need to give consent for anything to be given to your child. I believe what happened qualifies as malpractice. I would be asking to see the order or to see where you consented for the shots. This is not only wrong but probably illegal!
I am so sorry you have to deal with this

IDDSO: my sanity!
iammommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #19
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It DOES NOT MATTER!!!! You asked them not to, simply put! I agree with other's about making calls...call until you get answers. Yeah she made a mistake and everyone does but THAT one shouldn't have been made considering you JUST spoke with them. And SHAME on the DR for NOT telling her what you guys just discussed. KWIM? As his mother, you have a right to demand answers, just as much as you had the right to request them not to give it to him. Don't settle for second best....had you known they were going to do that you would have gotten up and walked out right? Nothing t hey did should be excusable (sp). We got the cp back at 22 months old with the dtap that he would have gotten at 12/15 months. THey wanted to do MMR at the same time and I said no. So then I hear them discussing outside and stuff like that and they came back in and only gave him cp and dtap. I was going to do just the dtap b/c of some things that were going on at the time but I agreed to let them do CP at the same time. Not saying it was the best call on my part but I did refuse to add the MMR at the same time as the others. Anyhow just trying to say to put your foot down and raise cain (in a civil way of course) until you get answers. I think if more exposure were given to more people delaying vaxes or not vaxing all together that Dr would be mroe open and aware to it.

Don't worry about her job....DR and Nurses everywhere SHOULD be on their toes about this stuff. It's their job to be responsible just as it is your job as your lo's mother to be responsible.

Quote:
See, this is where I am torn. I don't like this nurse very much, but she still is human, and humans make mistakes. I think her personality rubs me wrong, but it's also quite clear her workload at that office is incredible...her un-charming personality aside, she's still usually good with the kids and keeps the office running smoothly. I fear that filing anything with the licensing board could almost be malicious -- I mean that could cost her her job, right? I just hate to spread negative actions into this world.

At the same time, when I write this letter, my hands start shaking, I am so upset. I agree that chickenpox for a 1 year old, if heaven forbids he actually get them probably wouldn't need a dr visit -- BUT, my three year old doesn't have the vaccine, so I wonder if he would get them too now....and I don't think my DH ever had chicken pox as a child. Poor DH is watching both boys and our puppy for three nights when I am in CA for a friend's wedding...he's already stressed, we don't need chicken pox added to the mix.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
njbeachgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm SS mama. That sucks.. I would freak if one was given against my wishes and I hope everything is OK with your LO.

Here you have to sign a form stating which vaxes they are doing before they do them. Do they not have that where you are? They should!