Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how to fix low arches???

I actually had surgery for this in march. My flat foot, caused by ankle pronation caused a bad bunion. They did a calcaneal osteotomy which basically cuts your heel, realigns it and creates an arch in your foot. I am almost recovered from it. If the flat foot is causing pain, problems there is surgery, if not orthotics can postpone surgery. I will post some before and after pics in a minute.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwlMom View Post
My oldest (now 6) had a a lot of problems with her feet and ankles. All her weight basically rested on her inner ankles. I took her to an orthopedic surgeon and her prescribed ankle braces for her. She was casted for custom fit orthotics.

Did this help? I also have a dd with flat feet. She is only 3 1/2, but I have been taking her to a chiropractor to keep putting her hip back in place. Since she has no arches her weight also rests on her inner ankles, causing her knees to roll in and pulling her hips out of place. I have been thinking of taking her to an orthopedist to see what we can do to help her. She doesn't complain of pain, but falls alot when the hips are out of place.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillers72 View Post
ok, dh has like NO arches on his feet, and ds1 is showing little to no arches in his feet now...he's almost 6. is there any way to correct this???
I assume you mean DS. I would talk with your dr and see what he reccomends. Another option is to make an appointment with a podiatrist. They can reccomend if treatment is really needed or not and what steps you can take to correct such as orthotics or shoes, ect.

BTW, If it was Dh you were meaning a good set of custom orthotics works wonders for me!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
ok, dh has like NO arches on his feet, and ds1 is showing little to no arches in his feet now...he's almost 6. is there any way to correct this???
Quote:
so i called one of the good feet stores and they said at his age he has to have one special made by a pediatrist...i can only imagine how much that would cost!
Like someone said they may be covered (at least partially) if you have insurance. Mine cost $350 through our chiro but we have $300 coverage so it really isn't too bad when you consider it. Make sure if you do get them to bring them with you when you go shoe shopping as it can be hard to find a good fir sometimes.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
NightOwlMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoo3 View Post
Did this help? I also have a dd with flat feet. She is only 3 1/2, but I have been taking her to a chiropractor to keep putting her hip back in place. Since she has no arches her weight also rests on her inner ankles, causing her knees to roll in and pulling her hips out of place. I have been thinking of taking her to an orthopedist to see what we can do to help her. She doesn't complain of pain, but falls alot when the hips are out of place.
It helped tremendously! Her feet were a large part of why she had a gross motor skill delay. Once we got her braces at 18 months she finally started pulling to stand and eventually began walking just after her 2nd birthday. I send a thank you letter to her orthotist, hehe.
NightOwlMom is offline   Reply With Quote