Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How do you find the time...

what we do is dishes right after breakfast, lunch and dinner, and run the dishwasher at night and unload in the morning first thing while the coffee is brewing

I clear the table and clean up the table/floor/kids/etc. all at the same time, and finish with it before I move into the kitchen or else it doesn't get done.

We pick up toys several times a day, it's not that we HAVE too, but it's easier to pick up a dozen toys 5 times a day, than a million toys at the end of the day. The kids pick up toys before they get to go outside to play, before we sit down for lunch, before naps, before dinner, and before bed, and so on.

The floors get done as needed, but usually it's every other day for the tiled parts (sweeping) and vaccuming the floors a couple times a week as needed. I am not a stickler about mopping, it's more if it needs it, it'll get done sort of thing.

Bathrooms, I try to do about weekly, but I don't sweat it too much if I don't get it all done in one shot, I will try to at least wipe down the sinks and toilet once a week if not more, or will do it if it gets messy, the bath/shower area I haven't been doing alot because I am pregnant and dont want to bend for it

Laundry is done as needed for clothes and diapers every other day, so usually if I am in the laundry room I'll run a load of clothes after diapers, and my rule is, if I run a load, I have to dry it, if I dry it, or hang dry it, it doesn't matter once it's dry it has to be put away right away or it will sit in a pile in the basket until I need the basket again and I will pick out of the basket till it's empty, so I fold clothes into the basket and bring directly to the dressers so I don't get lazy.

Mostly it's keeping order of the house throughout the day that helps me, if a mess is made, straighten it. If the whole house is a mess, focus on one room and get it organized, and then every day after make sure that room gets the attention it needs, and do another room, and another room till all of them are constantly getting the attn they need. Having the kids help you with the laundry, and the dishes, and the picking up of toys and making beds is a great way to spend time with the kids, and teach them how to take care of their stuff and themselves. gl mama, you can do it! just remember that too much cleaning and too much slacking are both not good, finding the medium point where everyone can stay happy is a good thing

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your 2 mo is too young...but include your 19 mo in doing things. My DD loves to help with laundry (hands me one thing at a time to put in the wash or takes stuff out of the dryer for me to fold), dishes (throws silverware in the drawer), cooking (snaps greenbeans in half or helps me fill a pot with water), cleaning (hand her a wet rag and tell her to clean the floor/table/fridge...she loves it!), etc.
She does not really do that great a job, and it makes most stuff take a little longer...but
a) It gets done
b) she enjoys doing things together with me
c) she is learning to do things which is great...so many kids don't have to do squat. My DH had never used a dishwasher or done laundry when I met him...NEVER

It is hard to get stuff done, and I know I am tempted to just do it myself so it gets done properly and quickly..but there just isn't time. This way I get stuff done, DD has a great time...everyone is happy
Elena"s Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MAKE LISTS!!!!

And cross things off as you go. It's amazing how much you get done and don't realize you have done so much till you look at what all you have crossed off.
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
texanntx
Registered Users

My Mood:

you can't, and shouldn't even feel like you need to do it ALL. (especially by yourself!)

Enjoy the kids, do what HAS to be done, and don't worry about the rest...if it bothers the huz...he can do it!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

I either don't keep up if I can't (did that make since?!)

I also do like most of you gals do and tell my hubby that when he's off work so am I as a SAHM and duties are split 50/50 with childcare, house cleaning, etc. Sometimes I make him take over the kids since it is great for the kids and daddy, and I'll do the cooking, cleaning, etc, and I feel like I get a break from the babies and daddy gets lots of quality time with the kids.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaG01 View Post
Sometimes I make him take over the kids since it is great for the kids and daddy, and I'll do the cooking, cleaning, etc, and I feel like I get a break from the babies and daddy gets lots of quality time with the kids.
this is usually our evening routine...its really good for my heart to watch DD have "daddy time" and good for ME to get a little break--especially since I don't mind cooking and cleaning
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
iamhere77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanner03 View Post
Hire a housekeeper. Even if it's a high school girl who comes in on the weekends. Mine comes once/week, dusts, sweeps, mops, vacuums, shampoos carpets once/month, strips beds, etc. TRUST ME...SO WORTH IT!
not a bad idea...i'll have to look into that

i'm glad i'm not alone! i guess i'd like to be super mom, but i just can't seem to do it all
Old 06-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

I stay up until 2 am and then try to squeeze in anything around the house as I can. It's tough. My formerly clutter-free house is a disgrace for me to look at now. But I also don't want to take time from Margo to do a lot of it throughout the day, and if my husband won't help out (sometimes yes, sometimes no) then I refuse to break my neck over any of it. Sometimes when she naps, I try to get at least one thing done around the house, but my personal time is important too - so sometimes I won't do any housework and I'll surf the Web, garden, read, or whatever instead.

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #19
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't keep up. But I do the best I can, and we have a housekeeper come in once every two weeks. TOtally worth it. I wish I could afford to have her over every week!