Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

Crib set help!

All the crib sets I can find that I like at all are pricey. I want one that is either retro / vintage-looking, or solid colored / gender neutral. No puppy dogs, no Pooh, no footballs, etc. I like the Dwell crib sets, the ones by Babylicious, & especially the ones by Pixel Organics. These are too much $ for us, though. I would prefer the set be less than $100.

Do i really need to get a complete set, though? Can I just get sheets and a bumper? It seems silly that the sets only come with one fitted sheet, too--if you want it to match when you change the sheets, you have to buy an extra?

My mom & grandma made a spectacular crib quilt that is pastels which I guess we can use when baby is a bit older. But until then, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

growgrowgrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crib set help!

Have you tried Ebay or Craigslist?
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

i have been looking on both... haven't found the right set yet though. thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Momma_Rock
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are crafty, I'd think they'd be pretty easty to make... I hope to make the crib set for my next lo.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Target usually sells their things seperately, and you can choose what sheets, blankets, etc. you want from the collection. You don't need a complete set. Personally, I went with a blanket I really wanted, solid colored jersey* sheets, and forewent the bumper. I went with a matching mobile instead, along with a rug in front of the crib.

I think when we do sets the room has a better chance to look overwhelmed. Using accent pieces as your focus points and tying in the colors lets you have the effect you want cheaper and more easily replaced with "grownup" stuff as they outgrow the baby styles.

*jersey sheets were a lifesaver some days. We coslept, but during naps he went in the crib. The jersey fabric kept the crib at more of a room temperature so he didn't startle himself awake by hitting cold sheets when he moved.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

thanks all... i discovered carter's had buy one, get one 50% off at BRU, so we got 3 fitted sheets, a skirt, & a bumper... i feel really good about it because it was $70. all the sets i'd liked had been $200-300. plus, these things should go with the quilt from my mom & grama. i'm really excited about it!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't waste $ on a crib set. We only use our sheet now. In the beginning we used the bumper and the skirt, but they are off now. I want to put the quilt on the wall but its still hanging over the glider.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't waste $ on a crib set. We only use our sheet now. In the beginning we used the bumper and the skirt, but they are off now. I want to put the quilt on the wall but its still hanging over the glider.
Agreed.

I used the sheet with miranda's set.

The bumpers are proving to be dangerous, and of course the quilt/comforter is.. it's like spending 200+ dollars on Decor.. decor you'll need to find somewhere to stash once the baby is sleeping in it. lol it's quite the waste of money.

I plan on spending my money for the set on what is really needed.. 1500 sheets and some blankets. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Im glad you found some things you need cheap at bru
I bought a crib 4 piece set from a ds mama while i was pg and well the baby isnt in the crib yet..lol
all you really need is the sheets and dustruffle mama.
The bumpers are only to be used until the baby starts rolling, then they can become dangerous as some babies can get caught in them and strangle.
the comforter isn't good for small babies, with my other two kids, we hung the comforter on the wall behind the crib like a wall hanging.
right now, I like to go to the goodwill and get sheets, theyre $1 here and i change the bedding every week so we needed alot..lol
you can post an ISO on craigslist too.

Last edited by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox; 07-21-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote