Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
clothdiapermom's Avatar
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,703
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

I use basically the same method as you. I started doing mine last week. Tonight while in bed I opened up and removed the bad elastic in 8 of my diapers. I will put new elastic in tomorrow and sew them up. That will make 16 of them finished. They are like new when I put new elastic in. I have been using 4.5 inches of elastic, but I didn't prewash my elastic and i think it shrinks a bit. I need to get some more elastic next time we are out because I don't have enough to do all my diapers and at this point I think I am just going to replace it in all of my diapers.

****Don't forget to dry your diapers after you fix the elastic to seal up any holes you made while sewing the PUL. Just thought I would add that since some people don't know to do that.

Advertisement

__________________
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
lovemy3boys's Avatar
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,972
My Mood:
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

ooo that's great! my os's are ok, but my aio's have been shot for a while now.. any clue how to repair those nicely???
__________________
Tabatha-proud wife to Steven(5/21/05), proud mama to: Conner (10/22/05) & miracle momo's Mason & Haden (7/22/07 33 weekers)
*no internet access at home. working to clear out my PM's and then will be messaging mama's to whom i owe*
lovemy3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
joyfulsoul's Avatar
joyfulsoul
Happy Squeal Creations
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Virgina
Posts: 1,111
My Mood:
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

Wow, thanks so much for this tute!
__________________
Anne crunchy mama to Olivia Grace (01.14.04), Elliott Quinn (10.04.07) and Phoebe Kate (08.16.09). Proud Step-Mom to Isaac (01.01.01). Happy wife to Mike.
"You know that everytime I move, I make a woman's movement." ~Ani DiFranco
*******Happy Squeal Creations*******
joyfulsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #14
Elena"s Mom's Avatar
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper St. Clair, PA
Posts: 4,457
My Mood:
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

That is just awesome! I think I could handle that.
Thanks
Elena"s Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
megpie's Avatar
megpie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MCAS Cherry Point
Posts: 356
My Mood:
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

thank you so much!!!!
__________________
wifey to my marine my hubby is home!! ooh rah! sahm stitchin, craftin, bw lactivist to 5! y/o ds and 2 year old rowdy bout it twin boys!! expecting our princess 9/10!!
megpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #16
philomene's Avatar
philomene
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 87
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

This is super helpful, going to try it with a FB dipe that needs elastic replaced. Thanks!
philomene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
tobie9
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 228
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

Just to clarify before I sink my teeth into this project.....

You sew the new-good elastic to the cut off end of the bad elastic, pull through using the old-bad elastic to make the job easier, and sew off the end to the old elastic again? Am I getting this right?

Is there a particular type or size of elastic to use?

Can you tell i'm a little nervous about starting this?

Thanks!
tobie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #18
Cranberrycove's Avatar
Cranberrycove
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 700
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobie9 View Post
Just to clarify before I sink my teeth into this project.....

You sew the new-good elastic to the cut off end of the bad elastic, pull through using the old-bad elastic to make the job easier, and sew off the end to the old elastic again? Am I getting this right?

Is there a particular type or size of elastic to use?

Can you tell i'm a little nervous about starting this?

Thanks!
1)sew new/bad elastic together,
2)pull through,
3)sew new elastic down,
4)cut old elastic off (i don't cut it until I'm done sewing just in case it decides to pull itself back through...I hate threading elastic!)

I used regular polybraid 1/4"...I think that's what it's called, and the size. I threw the package away, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Looked the same as what was in there already.
__________________
SAHM to three boys, wife to the most wonderful man .
CD'ing, BF'ing, babywearing, slightly crunchy mama.

Last edited by Cranberrycove; 07-23-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: measured the width of the elastic
Cranberrycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
Cranberrycove's Avatar
Cranberrycove
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 700
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy3boys View Post
ooo that's great! my os's are ok, but my aio's have been shot for a while now.. any clue how to repair those nicely???
I don't have any AIO's to know for sure, but maybe you could do it with a similar concept? Maybe take out the edge seam if you cant get inside, then sew that back up? Just an idea.
__________________
SAHM to three boys, wife to the most wonderful man .
CD'ing, BF'ing, babywearing, slightly crunchy mama.
Cranberrycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Cranberrycove's Avatar
Cranberrycove
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 700
Re: How to Fix BumGenius Elastic Tutorial *w/pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapermom View Post
I use basically the same method as you. I started doing mine last week. Tonight while in bed I opened up and removed the bad elastic in 8 of my diapers. I will put new elastic in tomorrow and sew them up. That will make 16 of them finished. They are like new when I put new elastic in. I have been using 4.5 inches of elastic, but I didn't prewash my elastic and i think it shrinks a bit. I need to get some more elastic next time we are out because I don't have enough to do all my diapers and at this point I think I am just going to replace it in all of my diapers.

****Don't forget to dry your diapers after you fix the elastic to seal up any holes you made while sewing the PUL. Just thought I would add that since some people don't know to do that.
Thanks for the tips! I actually didn't know that about the elastic shrinking. And the drying to seal up the holes. Great tips! I'll add them to the first post.
__________________
SAHM to three boys, wife to the most wonderful man .
CD'ing, BF'ing, babywearing, slightly crunchy mama.
Cranberrycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.