Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

What do you do?

Recently DS hasnt been eating all his dinner, in fact he leaves most of it. I do not force him to eat it but he does have to eat what we're having for dinner, theres no making something for me and several differnt things for DS until he decides hes going to eat so if he doesnt eat his dinner he doesnt get dinner. i have still been giving him his snack before bed as he goes to bed 2-3 hours after dinner is over. my mother has told me she disagrees with my giving him the snack if he didnt eat all of his dinner, her opinion is that he didnt eat all his dinner so he shouldnt have the snack either.
what would you mamas do? give the snack or make him go without?

and also do you insist on your children eating the same as you for meals or will you give them whatever they want??

Advertisement

joshuas_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you do?

Right now, I don't fight about food with him. I fix dinner and he either eats it or he doesn't. I don't cook anything else for him. I offer snack before bed, but I'd do that regardless of whether he ate or not. I'm not going to punish him for not eating dinner by withholding food, KWIM?
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I agree with the pp. Make dinner for everyone. If he eats it, fine. If not, that's fine too. I have never been one to sit there and make sure my kids eat. I only control what they have to eat. I've met too many people who say their kids won't eat and the parents sit there and harass the kid to eat their food. I really don't think I'd want to eat if someone was sitting in front of me telling me to eat. I'd think it would give me indigestion!! We don't do before bed snacks on a regular basis, but if someone asks for one they will either get something healthy like carrots or an apple, or if they didn't eat much of their dinner, some more dinner.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
I agree with the pp. Make dinner for everyone. If he eats it, fine. If not, that's fine too. I have never been one to sit there and make sure my kids eat. I only control what they have to eat. I've met too many people who say their kids won't eat and the parents sit there and harass the kid to eat their food. I really don't think I'd want to eat if someone was sitting in front of me telling me to eat. I'd think it would give me indigestion!! We don't do before bed snacks on a regular basis, but if someone asks for one they will either get something healthy like carrots or an apple, or if they didn't eat much of their dinner, some more dinner.
What she said!

also, could it be possible that you're giving him too muchc in a serving for dinner time?
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
AnnaG01
Registered Users
seller

My DS never eats either. I offer him what we're eating for dinner and before my bedrest I cooked every night, and I'd cook a main dish and several sides, so there is always something he likes. I make sure to tell him 2 things before he chooses to get down: 1. Your tummy is going to hurt and 2. You're not going to get to eat again before the next meal and I offer to feed him even though he's 3 1/2 it still works sometimes. My DS is plenty smart enough to figure out "if I refuse my dinner, I'll ask for a snack a few hours later and get what I really want"...my MIL does this to him and he eats NOTHING at meals for her, because he knows if he waits he can get something else...so at my house we do NOT do snacks after dinner.
Riley (6), Skyler (4) , Payton (2) & our new baby Quinn Mackenzie My Blog
AnnaG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Asher hasn't been eating lately either, even when it is food he likes. I'm sure it is my fault that it's all happening, as I'm making dinner a power struggle. All I ask is that he try one bite of everything on his plate, but you would think I'm trying to convince him to eat a bucket of roaches or something.

He's 3 months short of 3 years old, and I've tried just not letting him eat, but he won't sleep because his tummy hurts. At that point I have to get him out of bed, and offer him some fruit and lunchmeat (or something to that extent) after he's already bathed and had his teeth brushed.

I've begun to loathe dinnertime.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
bugaboo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 is just like that. I make her food and if she eats it then great if not...well I dont waist time. I give her a chance to eat it but most of the time she is just playing with it.
"Freedom is not Free"
bugaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't make it so he can't eat as a punishment, food should never be withheld, but maybe tell him when he's eating dinner, that if he leaves too much of it then that dinner will be warmed up for his snack, but if he eats x amount of it he can have a snack of his choice.

My DS eats what we're eating. If there's something he's less then excited about, I tell him all the good things about that food. Like he eats eggs, but once I tell him that the egg yolk has so much protein, and protein is good for building his muscles and making him stronger, then he eats it. Now he doesn't eat junk food and goes on about the good things some food does for you to everyone, like carrots help your eyesight, beans have protein, yogurt has calcium, etc.

And for dinners I often give him a choice before we cook, like if I know I can either cook this dish or this dish, then I'll tell him "well we can have this or this, which one do you want with your food?". Him having a choice in it gets him more inclined to eat it when it comes.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Jordan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3yo has been picky for a while and doesn't eat much sometimes. We tyically don't do a late snack, but if we did I would give it to him as long as it was a healthy snack.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

if bedtime is 2-3 hours after dinner, he should be getting a snack regardless of whether he ate or not. imo. we don't do separate meals here either. the choice is your to eat it or not.