Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
omg! I feel horrible!!!! :(

I was cutting DS#3 fingernails and he moved and I cut him!!! I took some skin right off the tip of his little finger! I feel horrible!!!! He only cried for a minute and it stopped bleeding but boy do I feel like a bad mommy!!!! poor little guy!!!! I am worried about infections and such. DH says to let it get air and dip it in cornstarch?
3 kiddos and I have never done this yet!!!!

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Lorrie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: omg! I feel horrible!!!! :(

I clipped my daughters finger. I just let the air get to it and kept an eye on it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It happens, I've done that before to one of my LO's, I can't even remember which LO it was...
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

i've done it too. i couldnt believe she didnt cry. dh was not happy with me tho. the cornstarch is supposed to stop the bleeding. i know you can do the same with animals when you cut thier nails too far.
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Ashleybelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When DS #2 was only a couple of months old I did the same thing, except I couldn't get it to stop bleeding! Their fingers are SO tiny that it's hard to tell just how much you really got them To my eye, it litterally looked like I had taken off the tip of his finger! I was terrified!
So...for his first thanksgiving, while I was getting him ready to go to Grandma's big thanksgiving dinner....we found ourselves instead running to the ER! I put a baby mitten on his hand, wrapped it in a cloth, and tied it around the wrist with a scrunchi to keep him from biting/sucking on it.
The nurse kind of snickered at the whole boxing glove conglomeration we'd rigged up when we got to ER. It had almost stopped bleeding when we got to the hospital, and the nurse said *with MUCH relief to us!* that he'd be fine. It had just snipped into his finger a bit, no amputations like my worried mommy brain was imagining. I felt SO bad...but it healed on its own, just a band-aid and a cloth/scrunchy boxing glove for a week or so lol.

Grandma had lots of questions when we finally showed up for dinner with her grandson and his covered up hand!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sure everyone either has or will do it at some point. I've done it more than once...the most recent I felt really really horrible because she was actually letting me trim her nails...She saw me clipping one of mine that had broken and held her hand out to me. I got all the way through her finger nails, which didn't actually need that much work, and was almost done with her toe nails, which constantly need to be trimmed because they start curling, and I clipped the skin on the toe NEXT to the one I was trimming...needless to say she wouldn't let me finish the last toe....I had to put a bandaid on it for a few minutes to stop it bleeding and that was almost worse than cutting her...lol she HATES things stuck to her feet and hands....so she was flipping out about the band aid until I took it off.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Okmommy06
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've done it to ds as well, it wasn't a lot but enough to make me cry. He cried for like 5 seconds and he was fine. I've also pinched his thigh skin in a onesie snap. He was only a week or two old so I was still very tired and he started crying so I was searching for what was wrong since it was a different kind of cry, and sure enough....let me tell you I thought I was the worst mother ever. I've never felt that horrible.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
ajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done it too, I felt the like the world's worst mother. DD got over it quickly though.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done it too. I just put a little bit of diaper rash ointment on it to help it heal. I had heard that somewhere and it really did help. I just had to be careful not to let him suck it.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas I feel a little better now! He seems fine but I will watch it!! at least I know I am not alone