Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: For those of you who have crib sleeping LO's...

I still haven't taken it out of my dd crib and she's 17 months. She didn't start sleeping in it until 6 months though anyway. She also doesn't use it to climb out...at least not yet...she climbs on everything else she can so I suppose it might only be a matter of time. hehe

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

We just took DD's bumper out, so approx 8 months. She's a very active sleeper, so I was keeping it in so that she wouldn't get her leg/arm through the space and then try to roll over. Now that she can pull up to stand in her crib, the bumper is outta there! I don't want her to learn to use it as a step to get out.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

i took it out when my dd was around 10 months, but i had to put it back in cuz she was getting her feet and legs in the bars and waking up in the middle of the night ( i did it for about 3 months and then figured out what it was happening). i put the bumper back in and she was a much better sleeper she would also push herself up to the sides and her head would be on the wood and she would wake up to.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
greenpea
Registered Users
seller
seller

indeed bumpers should NEVER be used in cribs at any age....far too risky!

http://www.cbc.ca/story/health/national/2007/09/19/crib-bumpers.html
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Masset
greenpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd still has hers in and she is 14 months and has been in her crib since 2 months. I took it out once for a couple nights but she slept horribly. She likes to wedge herself up against it and when it wasn't in she was against the wooden slats and was waking up 2-3 times a night when she normally slept through the night. She doesn't really stand in her crib unless someone goes in to get her. She likes to roll around in there and sit and play. It is also pretty low to the ground and she is short so even if she stood on it she couldn't climb out.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #16
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We cosleep primarily, but have always used the crib here and there.

We never put a bumper in the crib. The SIDS recommendation is to not use anything in the crib whatsoever, just a well-fitted firm mattress with a basic sheet. That's it.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #17
jnno
Registered Users

I took DD's bumpers out of her crib before she started sleeping in it, which was around 3 months.

I couldn't stomach the thought of something happening as a result, so it was no bumpers, no blanket, no toys. At 23 months, she still doesn't have a blanket in there.

She always nestled up to the edge of the crib. It didn't matter where we placed her, she was always bunched up in the corner within an hour. I didn't think there was any way she could be comfortable, but she was fine.
jnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #18
kaspears17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 24 mos and we still have our bumper.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #19
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We never had the traditional bumpers in my daughter's crib. I have always read that they are a SIDS risk for younger babies and that they can be used as a "step" for climbing out of the crib for older babies. The SIDS risk alone was enough to scare me away from using them.

When we transitioned my daughter from our room to her own crib at six months, we noticed that she was getting her arms and legs caught between the rails in her sleep and that she would wake up crying. I did some research and decided to invest in a set of "Breathable Bumpers." (I got them at Babies R Us.) They are thin, mesh bumpers that do not prevent a baby from breathing if her face is up against them (hahaha, I tested them on me). However, they do prevent a baby's arms and legs from getting caught between the rails. They also are too thin to be used as a step by an older infant because if they were to step on them the bumpers just sort of collapse under the weight.

To me they were worth the money and my daughter is still using them at 14 months old. I like how they make her crib a cozy little place to sleep (I never liked the look/feel of cribs without ANY sort of side bumpers at all).
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
palmettosweetheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We still have ours in the crib. DS is 9months old. He snuggles with them and I dont' have the heart to take them out.