Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cosleeping night nursers. A cautionary tale.

I can sympathize with what you're going through. We're dealing with it with DJ right now. He developed an abcess a couple of weeks ago and had a root canal and a couple of fillings last week and is scheduled for more fillings next week. I have to say though, I really don't believe that night nursing had anything to do with it. He did nurse on demand through the night (usually every couple of hours on a GOOD night!) until he was almost two but I have horrible teeth as does my mother and I think he inherited that. Also, when he developed a cavity in one of his front teeth as soon as it came in, we couldn't find a dentist that would treat him before he was even a year old. My dentist looked at the tooth and confirmed that it was indeed a cavity and would need to be fixed but he said that since it wasn't causing him any discomfort, we could wait until he was a little older. There's only one pediatric dentist in town that anyone recommends and I have issues with him since he's the one that treated me as a child and he's stopped taking my insurance and even he said that he didn't want to see him that young so we waited. I think the bacteria that were invading that tooth spread to the others in the meantime. Now, James on the other hand, nursed on demand through the night until he was about 8 months old and then switched to formula but he still took 1-2 bottles during the night. And he HATED having his teeth brushed so I was not nearly as religious about brushing his as I was DJ's. Results? He's 2 now and by all indications his teeth are perfect. The pediatric dentist that is doing DJ's work is going to do a full exam on James next week just to be sure but as far as we can tell, he has no problems at all. I pray that he didn't inherit the soft teeth but I guess time will tell.

If you're comfortable with night weaning when they get teeth, then that's great. An alternative would be like a PP suggested to wipe their teeth when they're done nursing during the night. But I really believe that there are too many variables to say that night nursing is the cause of the problem. In a child who is already prone to cavities, night nursing may very well be a contributing factor, but that alone is not the cause. Good luck with everything...I HATE going to the dentist because I've had so many problems over the years but I would give anything to be able to go through this now instead of my baby.

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2six View Post
I think that children can also genetically have dental problems. So, your son might have had problems even if you had night weaned him. I have night nursed all 6 of my children who all got teeth between 3 and 5 mos. old and none of them have decay problems. to you mama and your son.
I agree with the above. I too night nursed my boys on demand till they were 2 years old. Older one got 4 cavities in between his very tight baby molars when he was in Kindergarten, younger one had no cavities at all till his adult teeth came and he's had a couple of surface ones that needed no anesthesia.
I'm so sorry mama, it sounds like you went above and beyond to try and make sure your little one had good teeth. I'm glad he came through it so well.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
esokitty
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80 View Post
Poor little guy. Will it affect his permanent teeth?

The hope is that removing the decay and continuing excellent dental habits will
1. prevent reinfection with the S. Muteans bacteria
2. not allow any indentations or rough surfaces for the bacteria to breed by removing decay and sealing with smooth stainless steel.

We will continue to brush each day with a fluoride free tooth paste *may switch to flouride containing when proper brushing and spitting is second nature*, apply a topical fluoride rinse before bedtime (in bubbah's case, I dip a clean brush in ACT and apply it to the teeth) and instill a great importance on dental hygiene. We also try to get 4-6 grams of xylitol per day in popsicle, candy, or sweetened water form!

Incidentally, one of the reasons to cap the teeth rather than just extract them is the theory that primary teeth act as guides when perminant teeth grow in.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that!

My dad's a dentist and he doesn't have a problem with me night nursing DD, but he does check her teeth regularly to make sure everything is a-okay in there!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #16
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't even imagine the stress you are going through....hope all is back to normal soon!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #17
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow! That makes me freak out.

What is this xlitol (sp?)? Where can I get it.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW I have night nursed all 3 of my children 10 mo, 6 mo and 18 mo respectively, with no ill effects... so just like with everything, nothing is the same across the board (and fwiw, also I have a few of those 'risk factors" ..)

Glad he made it through the sugery well
Old 07-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was also a co-sleeping night nurser. My DD is too. My DS just had #2 & #3 baby teeth pulled due to them having cavities. #1 was pulled in Nov 2004 because it had rotted down into the root. #3 was the worst. It was so bad the infection was in all 3 roots and about to pop through to the gum. My son brushes his teeth twice a day, drinks tap water (flouride), uses mouthwash, flosses. But still he got these abcesses. He is now 9 years old.

Why does he have bad teeth? Well I had my first cavity at 17 and I NEVER brushed my teeth as a child/teen. I had #2's-6 when I was pg with DD. But my son's dad has had 10 teeth pulled. DS's grandfather has to wear dentures because he lacks teeth to chew. What do they have? Genetic tooth rot. It sucks. But my DS has to deal with it. We are going to cap all of his adult when they come in and make sure we check and re-check for any new cavities coming in so they can be taken care of ASAP. The bad thing is that they are inside first before they are visible.

My DD already has a cavity. It is in her front teeth. She didn't even get that one until she was 14 mo old. And she was an AVID night nurser. It really does depend on genetics.

Oh and my DH has yet to have a cavity and he is almost 31.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #20
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2six View Post
I think that children can also genetically have dental problems.
I agree with this, myDS2 night nursed until 2 and no dental problems.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote