Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 AM   #21
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cosleeping night nursers. A cautionary tale.

Thank you for your post mama, whatever opinions everyone may have, it is certainly a good reminder to take care of those teeth: brushing whether you night nurse or not.

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #22
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sad story. I hope your little one is OK. Here in Germany, my ped really pushed giving flouride prophylaxis pills from day one and cautioned NEVER to lick the pacifier so you don't infect the child's mouth with your bacteria. She didn't really make a big deal about night nursing, but my LO got teeth late.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #23
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont understand how it could effect his permanent teeth if its a night nursing problem ? In order to effect his permanent teeth he would still have to be nursing OR it would be a genetic problem would it not ?

DD is a night nurser and her teeth are perfect. DH and I neither one have perfect teeth, I have 5 fillings and DH is getting 3 done here in the next few weeks.

I brush DDs teeth after bath time and DS brushes usually after each meal.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #24
esokitty
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylee View Post
Wow! That makes me freak out.

What is this xlitol (sp?)? Where can I get it.

Don't freak out! As many other posters have pointed out - a number of people co-sleep and night nurse and have had no problems at all! I only wanted to add a dissenting opinion, as when I asked this question a long time ago, I only saw one side of the story.

From this poll I wrote here it looks as though anecdotally about 1/4 of those mothers polled did have issues with decay while night nursing. Does that mean that it was caused by night nursing? Of course not. Does it mean careful consideration is required? Of course!

Xylitol - you can find more information here
or at Dr. Ellie's site I highly recommend Dr. Ellie - she is magnificent and took time to respond personally to my email and sent me free samples.

I also have heard many things about Spiffies Baby Teeth wipes, but we were past that stage when I started this journey.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #25
esokitty
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianamom*2 View Post
I dont understand how it could effect his permanent teeth if its a night nursing problem ? In order to effect his permanent teeth he would still have to be nursing OR it would be a genetic problem would it not ?
I am not saying that night nursing causes caries. I believe that caries are caused by a change in PH in the mouth due to the colonization of certain types of bacteria, which feed on sugars, and attach to non-smooth parts of the tooth.

from wikipedia:

Quote:
Tooth decay is caused by certain types of acid-producing bacteria (specifically Lactobacillus species, Streptococcus mutans, and Actinomyces species) which cause damage in the presence of fermentable carbohydrates such as sucrose, fructose, and glucose.[6][7][8] The resulting high levels of acidity from lactic acid in the mouth affect teeth because a tooth's special mineral content causes it to be sensitive to low pH. Specifically, a tooth (which is primarily mineral in content) is in a constant state of back-and-forth demineralization and remineralization between the tooth and surrounding saliva. When the pH at the surface of the tooth drops below 5.5, demineralization proceeds faster than remineralization (i.e. there is a net loss of mineral structure on the tooth's surface). This results in the ensuing decay.
I am suggesting that I believe that breast milk (along with all other foods and beverages) can fuel the bacteria which causes caries. Once a mouth colonized with this bacteria, it is fairly simple to recolonize. If he has the bacteria now, from whatever source, chances are good he will get it again.

Believe me, I am not at all suggesting that breastfeeding is bad, or to be avoided!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #26
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esokitty View Post
I am not saying that night nursing causes caries. I believe that caries are caused by a change in PH in the mouth due to the colonization of certain types of bacteria, which feed on sugars, and attach to non-smooth parts of the tooth.

from wikipedia:

I am suggesting that I believe that breast milk (along with all other foods and beverages) can fuel the bacteria which causes caries. Once a mouth colonized with this bacteria, it is fairly simple to recolonize. If he has the bacteria now, from whatever source, chances are good he will get it again.

Believe me, I am not at all suggesting that breastfeeding is bad, or to be avoided!
OK that makes much more sense ! I must have missed the bacteria part in previous posts but all I read was about nursing causing it.

I can totally understand the bacteria thing and in that case YES night nursing or even putting baby to bed with a bottle could aid in the decay !
Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #27
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP, I'm sorry for what happened to your son. I'm sure it's very hard on all of you.

Random aside.... I used to be a nanny, and one of the little boys had awful dental problems. The mom explained to me that the dentist said that one thing that could cause the particular problem was if the mother went through a really difficult stressful period during a certain point in pregnancy(2nd trimester maybe?) when some oral development was going on with the fetus. The mother had been in the middle of a difficult divorce in her 2nd trimester, and really blamed that for her son's dental problems.
Anyone know anything about this?
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #28
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I don't have the strongest teeth...and I already figure my dd teeth will be crooked when she grows up no matter what happens because she's getting it from both sides (mine were corrected, my dh's not) but yeah I don't like to tempt fate...I'm lucky then that she took after me and didn't get her first tooth until after she was a year old. I was forced to wean her at 13 months and her first tooth popped out days later. hehe
Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #29
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
OP, I'm sorry for what happened to your son. I'm sure it's very hard on all of you.

Random aside.... I used to be a nanny, and one of the little boys had awful dental problems. The mom explained to me that the dentist said that one thing that could cause the particular problem was if the mother went through a really difficult stressful period during a certain point in pregnancy(2nd trimester maybe?) when some oral development was going on with the fetus. The mother had been in the middle of a difficult divorce in her 2nd trimester, and really blamed that for her son's dental problems.
Anyone know anything about this?
Oh yeah our first dentist said Ds#2 patchy colored teeth were caused by me getting sick (really sick) during pregnancy. I had a high fever and flu in 3rd trimester. Went to bed for a week. He said that the teeth were strong no cavities just discolored. And that it can be caused by illness and stress in the mother. Wierd huh!
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #30
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just wanted to mention if you do get/use xylitol keep it up out of reach of your pets. It is extremely toxic to dogs. It causes liver failure (or kidney) I always get the two mixed up.