Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #31
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Cosleeping night nursers. A cautionary tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post

Oh and my DH has yet to have a cavity and he is almost 31.
Doesn't that just tick you off. I brush a lot more than my husband. He went off to peace corp for two years, came back and still didn't go for a teeth cleaning/checkup for another two years. He hardly flossed. Somedays he wouldn't brush his teeth at all. I usually had to remind him.

He went to our dentist first and came out clean. Then the dental hygienist told me, "Your husband had the best and cleanest teeth I have seen in a very long time." WHAT?? I told her what I just told you and she was amazed. His mom has horrible teeth but his father has wonderful teeth, maybe one cavity. He has his fathers teeth genes.

Just so not fair

Advertisement

ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #32
ladylee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esokitty View Post
Don't freak out! As many other posters have pointed out - a number of people co-sleep and night nurse and have had no problems at all! I only wanted to add a dissenting opinion, as when I asked this question a long time ago, I only saw one side of the story.

From this poll I wrote here it looks as though anecdotally about 1/4 of those mothers polled did have issues with decay while night nursing. Does that mean that it was caused by night nursing? Of course not. Does it mean careful consideration is required? Of course!

Xylitol - you can find more information here
or at Dr. Ellie's site I highly recommend Dr. Ellie - she is magnificent and took time to respond personally to my email and sent me free samples.

I also have heard many things about Spiffies Baby Teeth wipes, but we were past that stage when I started this journey.
thanks so much!!
sweet - we have a xylitol ans spiffies realtor about 5 blocks from me - 5 BLOCKS!

Last edited by ladylee; 07-22-2008 at 10:03 AM.
ladylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #33
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naivete View Post
Now that my night nurser has a tooth, I keep a damp cloth near the bed each night on a plate, and after he nurses and unlatches I do a quick swipe. It woke him up a little the first few nights but he's gotten used to it now.
That is SUCH a good idea. I'm totally gonna do that from now on.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #34
sadiekat
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry your son had to go through this.

I think ECCs have a highly genetic component.

My children were both night nursed on demand. My DD still is.

We brush twice a day and floss once a day.

My children have both been examined had regular cleanings with a wonderful pediatric dentist.

Neither one have had any caries at all.

The only problem my children have with their teeth is that they have both fallen and cracked their front two teeth. Other than being mildly, almost invisibly, discolored around the crack they are both fine.
sadiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #35
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, interesting point. on our part, The Kid night nursed and he had about 20 teeth by the time he was a year old. He's two and a half now and has perfect teeth, but he's been going to the dentist since 8 months and we practice good dental hygene as well.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

OK. So I just googled xylitol. I can prevent my babies' cavities by chewing gum while pregnant/nursing?! Far out! Guess that awful taste in my mouth during pregancy is good for something. I've been chewing gum the whole time without ever knowing that it was good for baby.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #37
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loathe gum but if it's going to help prevent my child from having cavities I would so do it in a heartbeat.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote