-->
Join Diaperswappers Today!

Join DiaperSwappers and start buying, selling, and trading cloth diapers.
Talk with other moms about parenting. Registration is fast and free. Join Now!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
Genna
Registered Users

Can someone please explain cloth wipes??

Alright, we switched to cloth diapers a few weeks ago, and DS's diaper rashes immediately got better. But now, he is pooping so much (like 3-5 times a day), that the disposable wipes are giving him bad rashes again since I'm wiping him so often.

So what kind of "solution" do you use with the cloth wipes? And what exactly is the deal- rinse them in the toilet too?? Or just throw them right in the pail?? Someone please explain, I hate seeing my poor little guy's hiney so sore!

Thank you!

Advertisement

Genna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Blessedmommieof3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone please explain cloth wipes??

I'm sure there will much better advice for you from other Mamas soon, but for now.... I can tell you that I LOVE cloth wipes!! You can control what "solution" you use to keep baby's bottom from burning. You could even use plain water, or water with a touch of baby wash. I used to make a solution of: water, baby wash, baby oil and witch hazel. I'm currently using Dixie Drops and I really like them.

I use less wipes too - I use only 1-2 for a poo diaper compared to 2-4 sposie wipes. I don't rinse them, just toss them in the pail and into the wash with the diapers.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't rinse them either. Unless you count the rinse cycle before I wash them with the dipes. I use regular distilled water in a squirt bottle with liquid glycerin mixed in. (distilled lasts longer). I'm too lazy to order baby bits or dixie drops. I have heard good things about both though. The good thing about liquid glycerin is that there is no scent, in case your baby is sensitive to fragrances. A lot of people just store them wet in an old wipee box. I store them dry. You'll find out which way you prefer. You can also find several recipes online for wipee solutions. A lot of them contain baby shampoo, (and that made both my kids breakout), but some have some pretty interesting ingredients. Anyway, I make my own cloth wipes & love them. If you are interested, I would love to cut you a deal if you would like to try them out. PM me if you are interested!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
mrsjune
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I use cloth wipes when we are at home, and Huggies newborns elsewhere. I love cloth wipes! We dont use anything special other then the wipe and water.. LOL I make my own wipes, I make thin and thick ones. I find the thicker to be better for poops. When I am done with it, I dont rinse.. I throw it right in the pail and wash with my dipes.
mrsjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 AM   #5
meco
Registered Users

I am not going to lie. When my son was a baby and even a toddler, I just rinsed him in the bath or sink most of the time. It was easier. He has since PLed. He uses wipes now for her TP though. TMI?

My favorite wipes are velour. I rinse them after using them usually, and toss them into a my old diaper pail with a wetbag inside.

As for using them, my friend used to use a spray bottle with wipes solution and just sprayed it on the bum or the wipe. I personally just wet with warm water, and used that. I kept a big stack near the sink and just got one damp. I always just bring a few dry ones out and about, and wet them under the sink before a change. Or you could use a zip lock back or any resealable bag, box or container. A SIGG Midi box would be great though expensive. You could use the spray bottle out and about or just wet them in your waterproof container. Or else just use water while out.

Cloth wipes are so much easier to use, and definitely clean the mess better.
Cloth wipes are great. My son refuses anything else.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
Shay
Banned

I found this article on Ebay. It how to make wipes solution.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Baby-Wipes-S...00000000008009
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I usually just use warm tap water and wet as I go. I keep the wipes in an old wipe box or a cute basket, fill up the squirt bottle each morning with warm water and wet as I need. I also used the honey chunks when my dd was still in dipes but not since she pl'd. I did rinse as we do not breastfeed and that poop does not get washed away in the rinse cycle. I always wash my hands after a change so I just take the wipe and rinse it out then pop it in the wet bag. It's really easy and I'll NEVER go back to sposie wipes again.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
frawwgwithtadpoles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK...I'm convinced...I need to use these! Anyone know where I can get some cheap or even trade something for them?
frawwgwithtadpoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd just make some from old wash clothes or towels. It is so much easier to get the poo off than with possie wipes! We had some old towels which we just cut into squares...more or less squares that is. I didn't use washclothes just because we don't havve that many and I felt like one was too big to use as only one wipe. But I bet you could use lots of different fabric scraps..this sounds funny but when I was a kid almost all our rags were the rumps old undies whose elastic went bad, and my dad's worn out undershirts...and both those would make realy soft wipes.
I store mine dry and just use a little spay bottle with tap water and a couple drops of tree tea oil and a little baby oil...shake well before using
or, if the spray bottle isn't handy I use just water... I thought about it and I just use TP myself so, I guess plain water is just fine! And I just throw them to wash with the diapers
Happy Hunting!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
*bugsmama*
Registered Users
seller

If you go to the WAHM section of the board LOTS of mamas sell wipes. I just bought some from Seasyn (taviansmama) and I know Tangy sells them as well. I LOVE our cloth wipes. It is so much easier to just throw the cloth wipes in the wash with the dipes instead of having to split out the sposie wipes from the poopy dipe. I bought some Baby Bits from Nurtured Family (they smell HEAVENLY) and I put 1C of warm tap water in the bottle with 1 bit and let it disolve. Then I pour most (if not all) of the bottle into an old wipes container, fill it with wipes and I am done. When out I carry them dry with a bottle of wipes solution and wet as I go. I don't rinse them, just throw them in with the dipes.