Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tips on Turning a Breech Baby?

I went to an OB appointment this week and the ultrasound showed that the baby I am carrying is currently breech. I am in week 27 so there is still a lot of time for him or her to turn on his or her own, but do any of you have advice on things I might to to encourage him or her to flip?

I really do not want a C-section -- I fear I'd be locked into them for the rest of my life!

Thanks!
Sarah

Advertisement

SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Tips on Turning a Breech Baby?

My DS was breech at 28 or 29 weeks and flipped on his own before my next appointment. I wouldn't worry just yet, your baby has plenty of time to flip still. If it doesn't flip, I have no advice. Dr.s may try to flip it manually - and I think that's literally the only REAL way to take an active part in flipping the baby. Just hang in there, it has time, they move around a lot in there.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I knew! I had to have a c-section w/dd because she was footling breech at 38 weeks and my dr. wouldnt do a version bc he said it was only successul 60% of the time and posed risks with the cord being compressed or compromised.
I tried laying on the floor with my lower body inclined against an ironing board that was leaned up against the couch, putting cold things on her head, playing music so she'd flip...nothing worked.

I"ve heard there's an acupuncture/herbal technique called moxibustion (sp?) that sometimes works, also chiropractic. I've also read about a website called spinningbabies.com that might be useful.

Good Luck! I am pg with #2 now and trying to decide about a vbac....
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

check out http://www.spinningbabies.com/pregnancy.html
Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Tummy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Chiropractic adjustments are great for breech babies!!

There is something else that i have hear has a 100% turn rate... cannnot remember at the moment. I know it was some sort of herb, dont believe you take it internal either.. erhrhr, crap!

I will have to get back on that one..
Old 05-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ditto the spinning babies website!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keep in mind this is just my opinion based on my experience.....My first was breech until about 36 weeks and then he flipped (I thought I was in labor! lol). My second was also breech for a LONG time....the doc tried to flip him....worst pregnancy pain ever! I felt like I was bruised for days. There are a lot of risks involved in flipping the baby manually, it could compress the cord or wrap around baby's neck(which also happens naturally). Plus there is no guarantee that baby will stay....they usually don't. I would talk to your doc before doing anything so that he/she can talk to about all the risks and then make an informed decision. This is totally up to you.....I just gave what experience I had. Good luck, and I'm sure baby will turn when he/she is ready!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was breech as well, found at at 33 weeks and he was as stuborn then as he is now, NEVER flipped LOL.

I did what I could, like washing the floor on all fours (yea pretty picture right?) and some hip tilt excercises that they gave me. I did not wantto do the manual turning, I felt if he was there and was comfty that was good enough for me. I did have a CS and it was Ok, as long as the baby is healthy do what you have to do.

On a dif note you have lots of time for him to summersalt in the womb!

Turn baby turn!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is totally normal for htem to be breech until up to 34 or 36 weeks. My last was transverse until 37 weeks. What happens usually is their heads get heavier than their bodies around 34-36 weeks and then gravity pulls them down. Pelic tilts can work, and going on all fours helps give them room to move around. But it is COMPLETELY normal. If your OB was relaly concerned he would have told you wht you needed to do. Just know your baby is acting normal and chances are he will turn, if not, good luck the rest of his life, becaseu he will be a stubborn one LOL

Oh there is an acupuncture thing I have heard great things about. If you can find an acupuncturist, later in Pregnancy, something about your little toes. I cant remember what but you caould call one and ask...
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. DJ was transverse (sideways across my belly) until about 33 weeks, at which point he turned breach. He turned head down a few days before he was born at 34.5 weeks. He was still "sunny side up" (back labor...yuck!) but it wasn't *that* bad.

I've read that there are exercises you can do and also that there are things chiropractors can do to encourage the baby to turn. Then there's the option of "manual version" where the OB tries to force the baby to turn but like others have said, there are lots of risks and I've heard that the pain can be worse than labor!

Keep in mind too that a breach baby does not *have* to mean a C-section. There are risks and you need to discuss all the options thoroughly with your doc/mw but I know several women who have successfully delivered breach babies naturally. I even know of one woman who has delivered two breach babies at home, the second one unassisted. There are different variations on the breach position (butt first, feet first, one foot, etc.) and each has its own risks and variables but if you want to avoid a C-section, find a doc/mw who understands your beliefs and concerns and has experience in that area and is willing to work with you.

One last thing, and this is just my , if the baby doesn't turn and you do decide a C-section is the way to go, wait as long as possible instead of letting the doc schedule the surgery early. Every baby is different and does things on their own schedule. One of my cousins had a baby about a month and a half ago and she is still in the NICU right now. Her OB told her that the baby was breach and scheduled a C-section at 39 weeks (I'm pretty sure it was 39) because he didn't want her to wind up going into labor and having an emergency C-section. Well, even though they were *sure* about the dates and all that, the baby only weighed a little less than 4 pounds and her lungs were not fully developed...she shows all the signs of a baby that was several weeks early. So maybe somebody screwed up and the dates were off and she would have turned on her own at the right time. Or maybe she just needed to cook a little longer and wasn't ready to be born yet. Either way, she's got a tough road ahead of her now because an OB decided that he knew better than nature! Same with my first who only turned a few days before he was born. Lucky for me, he was early enough that the doc still thought there was plenty of time and didn't try to interfere.

Goood luck....
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote