Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: anyone have an awful time BF #1 and had success w #2+? long

Thanks for sharing. I had no where near your ordeal, but I tried to nurse ds1 when I had him at 17 and had no family support and all and I quit at 1 month.
Fast forward almost 8 yrs when I had ds2 and I had a dh who was 100% supportive and it made a world of difference. The nurses weren't much help, but got the job done - it was hard for the first couple months, but then we nursed for almost 18 months!
Now I have dd and she's 11 months and has always been a great nurser. I am in LLL this time and it is fabulous! I would recommend going to meetings for anyone who is pregnant or nursing. I just can't praise them enough!
I wish you all the luck - absolutely get in touch with LLL and see what you could do to 'preoare' in advance!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
momof4
Registered Users
seller

This happened to my sister; she tried so hard to nurse her first daughter, and it just never happened, even with a lactation consultant offering her support; she pumped for a few months, then switched gradually. With her second, it worked right away. I agree with the pp that mom and baby are a team; some babies just "get it" right away, and with others, it's a struggle. Each of my kids is so special to me, that though I've been fortunate in BF'ing each for over a year, I can't imagine not having kids just cause I couldn't do so. Get good support, and forgive yourself and the baby if it doesn't work out -- there's so much more you have to give a child!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read all the replies, but just remember - every nursing relationship is different, just as every baby is different! I had a super easy time nursing my first and went into it with my second over confident and with higher expectations. I had so many problems nursing my second... I fought and fought to keep going and gave it up when he was about 10-11mo (at which time he was getting 1/5-1oz of bm mixed into every bottle of formula!). It was a learning experience and looking at "what went wrong" made me far more capable of success. You can nurse your baby - but sometimes it does take help! My third nursed for over 18mo and stopped only because I was pg w/number four.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #14
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I nursed my first baby for a few hours and my second baby for 8 days. My third baby is almost 15 months old and he's still nursing.

I have flat nipples, too, and while I did buy a shield, I never used it, so just because you have flat nipples doesn't automatically mean you need one. I will say that the women I talked to that had a hard time in the beginning told me to tough it out for 2 weeks--well, it took six weeks for nursing to be okay.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I had a rough start with my son too. I got the sheild and ended up hating it, like you. I also was getting infections from using it (not draining the breast completely). So, I went to LLL and the leader told me to throw the sheild away, that I didn't need it. Give it three days because my son was only six weeks at that point. I did exactly what she said, he cried and I cried for about 2.5 of the three days, but the third day was magic. He latched on perfectly! After that we nursed for 18 months. We did have ups and downs because I went back to work and pumped. I think I had mastitis three times and a couple of plugged ducts, but over all it was a good experience. I thought my dd would be the same way because she had trouble latching right after birth, but in the middle of the first night she was born, she latched right on and nursed for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT!!! She and I have been going strong since then. It has been MUCH easier this time I would add, physically and emotionally. This time I didn't have my mom and mother-in-law trying to convince me to give her formula (the nurses at the hospital sure did; but this time, I was ready for them

YOU CAN DO IT MAMMA!!!!!!
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry you had a difficult time with #1! I also had a hard time with my first baby and was dreading the second one's arrival. However, with both 1 and 2 my experiences have been SO much easier/ better! I didn't have the pain, anxiety, or "newness" to bf that I had before. I hope you are able to bf as long as you want to with the next one!
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #17
bakeralm
Registered Users

My Mood:
Talking Re: anyone have an awful time BF #1 and had success w #2+? long

I am still on #1 but instead of dreading #2 I am counting the days! #1 (Lola) is just 5mths but I am already thinking of #2 :-). Currently I am exclusively pumping and it is the worst, hardest, most challenging thing I think I have ever done in my life. I am hoping that #2 can bring some closure to this ordeal. Now that I am becoming educated about BFing I know who's advise to trust, what questions to ask and I hope that we can be much more sucessful the second time around. Also I am working hard to sort out my "Breast issues", it looks like I have a very severe case of reyanud's syndrome causing singing burning pain all day and on top of it I Might have yeast ahhhh boooo. Pumping is very painful/

Mamma, you might want to think about it that way also. Look at it as a second chance to get it right and have that magical bond with your new baby!

Andrea, "secretly jealous of sucessfully BFing moms"
Old 06-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #18
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

How about this? I had an awful time nursing baby #1 and baby #2, and I'm successfully STILL nursing baby #3 (all while expecting baby #4!)

I also have very flat nipples. I didn't know when I was pregnant with my first that this would be a problem. She just couldn't get a good latch and I wasn't educated enough to do anything about it. She was on formula before we left the hospital.

With #2, I did all the research. I wore nipple shields to draw my nipples out while pregnant, took a breastfeeding class, and read lots of books. When she was born and I began nursing her, it hurt so badly that I quit. Everything I had read and was taught said that nursing should not hurt, and if it did, then she wasn't latched on properly. I had an LC check, and she was latched on properly, so I just quit thinking I must not be doing it right. She was 8 days old then.

With baby #3, I had the same hurting issues, but the LC that time told me that it just takes a couple of weeks for some women to toughen up. I stuck it out, and now he's 16 months old and still nursing.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #19
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed dd#1 for 15months with no problems at all. With dd#2 my milk never came in. I tried everything in the book to lactate even tried relactating when she was 6 weeks old and got nothing. Now with dd #3 she was in the NICU for 8 days. I didn't get to nurse her until she was 6 days old . We had trouble at first but now she's a pro at bfing.The lactation consultant was a big help!!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #20
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 was born at 36.5 weeks. he would never latch on, not even in the hospital with lactation consultants helping me. The hospital put a tube down his nose to fill his tummy up with formula because he wouldn't latch and they didn't want to cause nipple confusion. At home I continued to offer the breast, all the while pumping and bottle feeding. I just couldn't get a supply going, I would painfully pump for 40 minutes and only get an oz or two. After 2 weeks of doing this my milk just dried up and I had to start FF. I think if I had more support I could have worked it out better.

DS2 was full term and latched on immediately after birth (where DS1 was taken away for 2 hours, so we didn't get to birth bond) and was a BFing champ. He's 13 months and still nursing.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote