Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can we talk blenders again?

What are you using your blender for?

Which one do you have? How does it compare to there you've owned.

I hate my blender. It works poorly and it's a hassle to assemble. I rarely make smoothies or shakes because of it.

But I'm reluctant to buy a new one. But then I see your posts about Vitamix and Blendtec and I get curious.

Advertisement

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
rykersmommy
Registered Users

Re: Can we talk blenders again?

We recently got rid of our blender in favor of a ninja food processor. It's amazing and it can make smoothies or soups or dips or salsa, or my most common thing - baby food! Highly recommend!
rykersmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
rykersmommy
Registered Users

We got this one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B003XU3C7M
rykersmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykersmommy View Post

Wow! That's a surprise I was expecting a way higher price tag. That seems like a steal.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have the ninja master prep. I got the set that came with 3 different size bases and blades.
You get what you pay for. I am dreaming of a blendtec or vitamix but can't afford it. I might settle for the more expensive ninja version, but as it is, I don't use a blender very often at the moment.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by special.k.marie View Post
I have the ninja master prep. I got the set that came with 3 different size bases and blades.
You get what you pay for. I am dreaming of a blendtec or vitamix but can't afford it. I might settle for the more expensive ninja version, but as it is, I don't use a blender very often at the moment.
I don't use my blender much but my dh is on a restrictive diet now and I'm wondering if making smoothies will curb the urge to go on ice cream runs.

But I also don't want clutter on my counter so a big beast of some blender might not work for me.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We have one of those Ninja kitchen systems. I don't even know if they sell it anymore. The food processor and the blender share a base. It was pricy at the time but it was given to us as a gift. We were replacing a basic blender.. I really wanted a Vitamix but settled for a Ninja.

We've made all kinds of stuff with it. I like it enough. It is kind of bulky though. And noisy. But it blends nicely.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I have the ninja mega kitchen system from Costco and love it. It comes with a huge blended jug, food processor with dough and chopping blade, and 3 single serve smoothie cups and everything shares one base. It was $200 but has gone on sale for $150 I believe. We make smoothies with frozen fruit/greens/protien powder all the time and it's great.

I can't justify spending any more than this on a blender for home use. My mom has the blendtec and sure it blends things a little finer but it's also around double the price. And I didn't need my blender to make soup for me. That's why I have pots!
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Mine is Better Homes and Gardens. It has a glass pitcher, which for me is a must. I didn't want a cheap plastic one. I use mine to make mole, sauce for tamales, salsa, etc. It was on the expensive side for us. Cost us nearly $100.We are not big shake drinkers. I tried them but just can't get into them. I would rather a whole apple and a glass of milk. Blender not needed for that.

If I had the money I would spend much more for an even better one. Although this one is really nice for the money. 4 years old, looks and runs like new. I also prefer my small appliances to do one job rather than multi-tasking. I did get the Ninja but wound up returning it. Strsssful job and stressful pregnancy left me without any desire or really ability to figure it out so back it went and the blender we have came home with me instead.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started with a $30 Oster from Walmart, 12 years ago. I made green smoothies, almond milk, and even peanut butter. When the glass jar cracked, I wanted to replace it but the quality had gone waaay downhill. So we bought a KitchenAid at BB&B on sale, with a 20% off coupon. It was a $120 blender for $65. It didn't do as good of a job, and it BURNT OUT within 6 months. That was 5 years ago.

We then found a Blendtec on sale for well under $300 and it was a splurge, but we bought it with tax return money. I loved it at first, but I was VERY disappointed in it as far as nut butter and other really thick recipes. The motor overheated a lot. So I just used it for smoothies, batters, chopping, etc. I still loved it for that. Oh, I also figured out ice cream and frozen fruit sorbets with it. I also made applesauce, pureed soup (till I got an immersion blender), flax meal, rice flour.

A couple months ago, the jar on it went kaput. We could replace the jar for $60, get a better, "improved" jar for $100, or buy something else. Dh didn't want to replace the jar for several reasons, though me being cheap, I would have.

We craigslisted the base for $140 and bought a Vitamix on sale at Costco. I wanted the extra protection of Costco's return policy- just in case.

I bought the Vitamix this morning and have already used it multiple times to make sure I liked it. It is MUCH smoother than the Blendtec. It handles super-thick stuff (nuts and grains) WAY better (really, the Blendtec couldn't handle them at all).

I am VERY happy with the Vitamix. I would NEVER buy a Blendtec over a Vitamix again, even if I saved quite a bit with the Blendtec. Today we made a green smoothie for an afternoon snack, and pina colada sorbet for dessert after dinner. Tomorrow I will use it to fine chop veggies for soup, make almond milk, and also almond butter. Friday I will use it to shred cheese and broccoli for dinner and probably make more green smoothies for snack time.

Last edited by momomom; 04-29-2015 at 10:12 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote