Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone have egg-sensitive child?

Does anyone have experience with an egg-sensitive child?

Recap...Harley was diagnosed with food sensitivities when she was itty bitty (like around 6 weeks of age) and went on allergen free formula (Neocate). She has done well with solid food, which we started introducing as baby led weaning. The formula causes her to have green poop but it hasn't been bloody or mucusy as it was before she saw a pediatric GI doc, before I went on the elimination diet and she went on the formula. Her weight gain has been excellent. Not only did she gain at a rate where she gained back the weight that she lost early on (she had dropped down to under the third precentile) but she gained the weight back and is on track for "normal" growth if she had never had any issue and is now sitting in the 54 percentile.

Fast forward to now, Harley has thrown after she has eaten scrambled eggs for breakfast the last two times, however she doesn't seem to have an issue if I use them for baking. She doesn't get rashes, hives, or show other symptoms of reaction so I don't think it's a true allergy. These are brown eggs from our own chickens, by the way, not store bought. They eat both store bought grain and free range the yard.

Based on that, does it seem like it could be an egg sensitivity?

I have VeganEgg, which is a powder you mix with water to make an algae based egg replacer. Is there a better "tried and true" egg-replacer out there for her? Or maybe a better one for baking in general since I bake often. Or should I not even worry about that since she doesn't seem to have an issue with egg in things I bake?

Advertisement

Last edited by Spunkify; 01-03-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
ms_mcnann
formerly t***_m**_r*****
seller

Re: Does anyone have egg-sensitive child?

My good friends daughter has an egg allergy and just found out she can eat quail eggs with no issues. They raise them now as quail eggs are not as easy to find and can be expensive.

I can message her and see if she can pop on and reply to this for you with some ideas.
ms_mcnann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son had an allergy to eggs that I ate scrambled or boiled, but had no issue if I ate eggs baked into things. That's when I was nursing. He grew out of the allergy completely and can eat eggs any way.

My nephew is 6 and has an allergy to eating eggs boiled or scrambled but can eat them baked into things. He just developed the allergy in the past year or so.

Not sure the rhyme or reason, but I think if she's not showing signs of allergy to baked goods, no need to change anything until/if she does. But I found that flax seeds and water made a good sub for eggs in baking.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
Surfbikemom
Registered Users

Flax seeds and water! Aka the flax egg. Have you heard of the Minimalist Baker? Beautiful cookbook and recipes for vegans, there are some great ideas in there for plant based and gluten free and dairy free recipes. Vegan recipes might be the best to look up when you want to keep eggs off the menu and then make variations that fit your fam!
Surfbikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank-you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfbikemom View Post
Flax seeds and water! Aka the flax egg. Have you heard of the Minimalist Baker? Beautiful cookbook and recipes for vegans, there are some great ideas in there for plant based and gluten free and dairy free recipes. Vegan recipes might be the best to look up when you want to keep eggs off the menu and then make variations that fit your fam!
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote