Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
cotton09
Registered Users
Formerly: cotton_all_the_way
seller

Why is meal planning so hard?

I e heard 'meal plans are a lifesaver' so many times and I believe it. ....I just can't seem to do it.
Couple things that hold me back:

I hate convenience food
We eat a lot,
I'm pregnant ( and eat a lot )
My oldest is picky
I am picky -
I suck at cooking

I'm not looking to save money, or even help with grocery list. I just need enough food made, lots of snackable things. I should have some food every two hours. And because snacks usually me a junk food, I prefer a cup of soup, or a snadwich. But I'm pregnant, so if I make a soup that doesn't come out right, I'm upset and hungry. My mom gave me some soup the other day. I hated it yesterday, loved it today. Go figure. ( though soups do tend to change as they sit, some of them at least. )

Thanks

Advertisement

cotton09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Some do the bulk make and store.

I just try to keep pork, chicken, hamburger and sometimes other tHings on the menu so like this week:

Spagetti; brats and veggies and oinion rings; chicken alfredo pizza;

Next week:

Alfredo noodles, tomato soup and sandwiches; tacos or like dish.

On Friday it is leftovers or skate days my mom makes dinner.

We eat out on weekend at least once. We have budget for it.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why is meal planning so hard?

It's not too hard once you get in the habit. Ours is sort of a loose plan. Before I shop I write down 7-10 meals and breakfast/lunch/snack ideas, then check what we already have to make them. I make a list of anything we are lacking. Day by day I just choose one of those dinner meals in the morning and defrost or prep anything needed. Two days a week are crockpot meals because of kids activities in the early evening.
I can't stick to a strict meal plan, but a list of meals to choose from works great for us. Breakfast and lunch are always pretty standard and everyone can choose and make their own from what we have.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Janellem
Registered Users
seller

I hardly plan dinners in advance and just buy whatever is fresh and organic... just throw some different things together and it is pretty yummy! no need for recipes!
Janellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Meal planning is hard because it requires me to think.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Once you get the hang of it its not so bad. I plan a month- only planning specific meals for specific days on weekends because we work outside all day. If I don't plan for weekends we eat fast food. Or if I plan something like a roasted chicken then I plan the next day to use left overs. For the most part its just a list of dinners then I make my grocery list to make sure we have everything.I buy anything non-perishable for the whole month. Then every week and half to 2 weeks get produce. I keep a lot of precooked foods in the freezer. Also portion out whatever so its easy grab. I cut up cucumbers and put them in 1 cup containers for the week, boil eggs for the week. All stuff that makes it easy for me or the kids to grab something.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Meal planning is hard because it requires me to think.
This! Though we save a ton and eat better when I do it. But again, have to agree that thinking is tough
Titus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
rcord
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton09 View Post
I e heard 'meal plans are a lifesaver' so many times and I believe it. ....I just can't seem to do it.
Couple things that hold me back:

I hate convenience food
We eat a lot,
I'm pregnant ( and eat a lot )
My oldest is picky
I am picky -
I suck at cooking

I'm not looking to save money, or even help with grocery list. I just need enough food made, lots of snackable things. I should have some food every two hours. And because snacks usually me a junk food, I prefer a cup of soup, or a snadwich. But I'm pregnant, so if I make a soup that doesn't come out right, I'm upset and hungry. My mom gave me some soup the other day. I hated it yesterday, loved it today. Go figure. ( though soups do tend to change as they sit, some of them at least. )

Thanks
I just don't seem to have the time or energy anymore. I have a 18 month old and a 2 month old and between the two of them it is hard enough to even make dinner, let alone plan and grocery shop. Sigh. I want to eat at home and save money/be healthier, but I just can't stay on top of it.
rcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
kabochan17
Registered Users
seller

Meal plans are a lifesaver for me. But I am the type that loves lists and is sometimes lost without them.
I also can't stand monotony when it comes to cooking - it may very well be a weakness, but if I don't cook new things, I lose all motivation whatsoever.
So I allow myself a magazine subscription that is full of healthy recipes (though there are plenty available online for free), pick five or six each week, and read through the ingredients to make my shopping list.
I also use a shopping list app that has become a great timesaver over the paper lists I used to do because it stores favorite items for me and that helps remind me of the staples. When I had to do a paper list, I made my own template and printed copies so stuff I usually needed was automatically on there.
Finally, I only plan dinners. Breakfast is DIY with a variety to choose from, and lunch is take your pick of leftovers.
It's not always easy to keep up, but I found life a lot harder when I didn't meal plan!
kabochan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #10
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh man I struggle too! With and infant and a toddler it is hard to even find time to shower lol let alone get babies dressed and out the door and go shopping. I may start hiring a babysitter to watch my kids once per week while I go grocery shopping. We shall see.... But I need to do something different
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote