Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #11
anne73
Registered Users

Re: A circ ?, especially for Jewish parents and those with both circ'd and intact son

My son was circ'd with my consent (I signed the form), and it's the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. The worst of it is I dont' know why or how I did it... My husband said he could go either way, and faintly leaned towards circumcision, we asked a couple of friends and they happened to have circumcised (although most of our friends turns out didn't). The stupedest thing I've ever done, I can't believe it, and I don't know how I'm going to live with it, but it doesn't matter... what does matter is I hope it doesn't affect or minimally affects my son's life. Don't circumcise, with any religion, follow your heart, I think that's where you'd find God if there is one.

Advertisement

anne73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #12
tinytoeskidstore
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: A circ ?, especially for Jewish parents and those with both circ'd and intact son

My oldest is 7 and hes circumsized, my 6 your old is not and my 3 year old is. Honestly we didnt have the money to do my 6 year old at the time and so wish i did. I was young when i had him, (18) and i had no idea how to clean it and didnt really think you did besides cleaning it at diaper changing and in bathtub. At the age of 2 he had a horrible infection that made his pee pee 5 times the size it was normally. He was hospitalized for 3 days. Yes i do feel it was my fault this did happen for not cleaning it well enough. He still has major problems with it, it always hurts him. Hes in pain with it and we always have to put things on it to help the pain and redness. I do clean it well now and so i know its clean. We are saving the money up now to get it done. It will cost around $4,000 now instead of $200. Anyways my point is there are other things to look at besides religion too. I hope you make the right decision for you and your family.
tinytoeskidstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lots of good info and tons more links here:
http://www.drmomma.org/2009/06/circu...rs-making.html
Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytoeskidstore View Post
My oldest is 7 and hes circumsized, my 6 your old is not and my 3 year old is. Honestly we didnt have the money to do my 6 year old at the time and so wish i did. I was young when i had him, (18) and i had no idea how to clean it and didnt really think you did besides cleaning it at diaper changing and in bathtub. At the age of 2 he had a horrible infection that made his pee pee 5 times the size it was normally. He was hospitalized for 3 days. Yes i do feel it was my fault this did happen for not cleaning it well enough. He still has major problems with it, it always hurts him. Hes in pain with it and we always have to put things on it to help the pain and redness. I do clean it well now and so i know its clean. We are saving the money up now to get it done. It will cost around $4,000 now instead of $200. Anyways my point is there are other things to look at besides religion too. I hope you make the right decision for you and your family.
May I ask "how" you cleaned it? As in, did you just wipe off the outside, like you would a finger, or did you pull back the foreskin and clean under it?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And I second (third, fourth? ) DrMomma.org. She has fantastic information! And is just a wonderful person
Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd look into a Brit Shalom Naming Ceremony.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_sh...aming_ceremony)
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Delaney
Registered Users
seller

Okay here is a new perspective:
My almost 15 year old was just woken up and asked his opinion...and yes it is almost 11:30 here-so teenager!
Anyway, I asked him what he thought about it if we hadn't done the circ on him. He said, "you mean leave it all scrunched down hiding like Tristan's was when he was born? Hell no"
So there you have it. I assume that since he had a circ and is used to that he just doesn't like the other option so he was really of no help at all! lol
Lesson of the day:teenage boys are better left sleeping
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytoeskidstore View Post
There is no way thats your fault. You do not EVER pull the foreskin back on an intact penis. (a major reason for infections, and bleeding/early separation) it will retract on its own when they get older. You wash it like a finger, mild soap and water. Complications from remaining intact are very rare.

For the OP, we are not Jewish, but our son is intact. I applaud you for looking into this for your son and hope you can find a peaceful decision.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, old thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma07 View Post
May I ask "how" you cleaned it? As in, did you just wipe off the outside, like you would a finger, or did you pull back the foreskin and clean under it?

Intact boys GET infections because of being retracted to clean. Parents used to be told to retract and clean at diaper changes, but that ended up being the reason that so many boys "needed" to be circ'ed due to infection. the foreskin is fused to the glans during infancy/toddlerhood, just like your fingernail is fused to your finger. When you pull it back to clean, you are ripping these bonds apart, thus creating a perfect opportunity for infection to start. There is no special care required with an intact penis. Just leave it alone, wipe like a finger at diaper changes and when the boy is older he can retract his foreskin himself - only he will know whether his foreskin is ready to be retracted (and in some boys, it doesn't happen until well into puberty!).

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow. old thread. FTR, we had a daughter, and are now pregnant with #3, who, if male, will be intact.