Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #11
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Re: Formula question

You didn't specify and I don't want ot be too nosey. But if you are not able to due to meds or surgery or somehting. Research it a bit more. DO a searh for dr. Hale and medications and you will get a link to his forums. He has studied thousands of drugs and their safety while breastfeeding. Most drugs are safe or have a safe alternative. Also, if it is due to surgery and pain meds, you are fine. Sage was a premie in the NICU, when she was 7 days old I had a bowel resection and was able to nurse her 2 hours after surgery.

If this is totally off base. I 2nd the recomendation to make a goat's milk formula. Goat's milk is much closer to human milk than cow's milk. Just by adding a few extra's you can use it instead of formula. Check out the breastfeeding boards on www.mothering.com/discussions

Advertisement

Last edited by mommyto3girls; 11-09-2006 at 12:03 AM.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #12
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

I had a similar problem. My babies (especially) my little girl loved breastmilk and didnt like formula--cant blame them. (In the NICU she used to refuse anything other than breastmilk--such a girl...knows what she wants) Anyway--I have to say Goodstart dha & ARA was their favorite. it is much more liek the texture of breastmilk.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestions!

In regards to whether my Doc made the recommendation for Enfamil for a specific reason, I dont think so. My daughter was really tiny when she was born, and he said something about that particular Enfamil being better for babies who were born on the small side or premature?

As for keeping my supply up during the week in question, I am going to be pumping, I just wont be able to feed my daughter the expressed milk. Its going to have to go right down the drain. A Lactation Consultant has to supply the special pump, because a regular manual or electric doesnt work for me. She has to bring in one of those scary looking "dairy cow" types. EEEK!

Is there a difference between the liquid and the powder formula? I know the liquid says to use within 48 hours, but does it taste different or anything?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #14
zaza
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son gets both when we give him formula we use Earths Best organic definately the best in smell and flavor. We tried good start and had to rush him to the doctor it gave him hives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
There is an upcoming time in our lives when I will be unable to breastfeed for about a week. I've no longer been able to pump (yes, Ive tried everything) so all I have is about 6oz. of frozen breastmilk to use.

My hubby and I decided to use formula that week until I can start back breastfeeding again. But, I have a question.

My daughter knows the difference between my milk and formula. The Doc recommended one kind to us, but it tastes AWEFUL! It's very metallic, or iron tasting. She gets one drop on her tongue and gags. Terrible! Its Similac Lipid Support (or something like that).

For those of you that use formula, do you know of any brand that tastes more mild, or not as metallic? A type that maybe tastes more similar to actual milk?

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions you have.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
hunterNkarter
www.DinkerandGiggles.com
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

From what I know of our local doctor's offices they get paid to recommend Enfimal and Simalc as for Carnation/Nestle GoodStart...RUN!!

I would go with one of the organic brands we have found them to be the best.

If money is tight try Parents Choice Organic at Walmart
Earth's Best Organic is at some Walmarts/Giant Eagles

Also Giant Eagles Organic brand my husband says tastes a lot like breastmilk
Baby #3 born naturally on Feb 2nd! I Blog
My Feedback: DiaperPin
ISO: SANITY IHA: Not nearly enough PP/RME!
hunterNkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #16
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They all seem to have a metal aftertaste to me, as a foster mom I give all the tiny babies the liquid concentrate or ready to feed, it seems to sit better in thier litle stomachs than the powder, less spitting up and gas. When they get a bit older (6mths or so) I start with the powder, some won't take it an I have to stick with the liquid concentrate
Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, any tips on how I can get her to take it? I want to try and get her accustomed to the taste a few weeks before she will actually be taking it daily, just so she isnt shocked.
Should I wait until she is genuinely hungry? (she loves to snack about every hour at home, but only gets super hungry every 2.5) should I expect to have to try many times before she takes it?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #18
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend's baby would only take Parent's Choice Organic and she was ebf at the time of trying the formula. No suggestions on getting her to take it, sorry.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #19
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give my son soy formula b/c of his milk allergy. He started getting eczema at about 6wks when I started drinking more milk. I cut out milk, supplimented with soy IF I did and it went away! Now he's on soy formula and we're going to try to give him soy milk too.
Soy smells MUCH better than milk-based formulas, IMO. It smells like grains or potatoes to me. I remember tasting my baby sister's formula when I was 7 or 8 and gagging!! I also recommend the Good Start line.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #20
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
So, any tips on how I can get her to take it? I want to try and get her accustomed to the taste a few weeks before she will actually be taking it daily, just so she isnt shocked.
Should I wait until she is genuinely hungry? (she loves to snack about every hour at home, but only gets super hungry every 2.5) should I expect to have to try many times before she takes it?

Thanks!
hmmm. . . I'm not sure, but maybe just wait until that week and give it to her. If she's hungry, she'll take it. I would however continue to try giving her expressed milk in a bottle so she's used to the bottle. I think she's more likely to reject it b/c of the bottle than what is in the bottle. . . also, her poop will change consistency/color and she will probably spit up more and have more gas b/c she won't be used to it (even in you introduce it before that, she will have this issue)
HUGS!