Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #21
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Formula question

you could try EBM and formula in a half anf half ratio, so your bm tastes like formula.

Advertisement

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #22
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have 6oz. of milk frozen for use, so once its gone, its gone. I cant pump due to some other issues. Thanks for the suggestions, though!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #23
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

Similac - lots of iron ick, tummy aches and gas
Infamil - same deal
Kmart brand - same as similac/infamil
Walmart - same as above

Nestle Carnation Good Start Supreme - NO gas, NO tummy aches, made to break down WAY easier and deff digests easier.

I tried it all. All gave same results. Nestle was it.

BUT every baby reacts to each formula differently. You really can't "pick" the best.

Know this, if you pick Nestle, it's designed to break down MORE like BM (nothing is the same as bm though) and .....

You will only need to do this for a week. LOL So, you won't have to worry about this for long.

Get premade or concentrate. Powder formula has to be mixed. The more mixing the more air bubbles. The more air bubbles the more gas and tummy aches.

I have a special way to prepare powder formula ahead of time that will get rid of the bubbles. If you go the powder way (cheapest) pm me and I'd be happy to give you directions.

God knows I've gone through ALL of this. LOL

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #24
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGooseSC View Post
It sounds like your dd is on Similac Alimentum. It is man made for babies with protein sensitivity. If your doctor recommended it, there would be a reason she needs it. You could try the Enfamil Nutrimenium (sp) it's for the protein sensitivity but may taste better. If your dc is on regular formula Similac adds the most table sugar so it has the sweetest taste.
Nutramigen is what I believe you were looking for . My ds is on it due to a milk protein allergy and I can tell you that it smells and tastes horrid. He refused it pretty strongly when we first started giving it to him, but eventually he really didn't have a choice b/c I had no milk and that was all he could eat without screaming for the next 5 hours.

As for liquid or powder, we use powder. 1) it is cheaper and 2) IMO the liquid tastes worse.

Good luck to you though and hopefully things will go well.
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #25
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/Alyssa.
DS had the Good Start and was fine with it. Only due to WIC we switched to Enfamil and thankfully he was good with that one too.
IMO all formulas taste kinda nasty and def. not like BM but if I'd to chose again I'd probably go for Nestle Good Start again.

GL and
Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #26
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They all taste like iron to me!! If your DD does not like the iron taste, get a formula without Iron in it. Being without iron for one week isn't going to harm her!
We use Similac Advance with Iron and DHA/ARA and it tastes horrible!! I don't know how DS drinks it!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #27
huggerwocky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definately get organic formula!
huggerwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #28
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Walmart has organic formula now and it's TONS cheaper than the name brands!!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #29
seattlehipster
Registered Users

The organic formula from Earth's Best is probably the best one. It's the only one my dd would take when I went to work and my supply decreased after 6 months and the pump couldn't get enough milk like it did before. I have odd-shaped nipples too so I know what you mean by needing a special pump. I had to get larger flanges for the Medela Lactina kit that WIC gave me.

WIC here does plain Enfamil *without* the DHA/ARA, because of how much diarrhea and the many spitting-up/non-thriving problems there were with the additives. The WIC system here in my area won't pay for "that garbage," as one of the WIC nurses told me. Out of the mainstream grocery store formulas, Enfamil is the best (has the best nutrient composition, but 30 non-totally-bioavailable, waste-product/man-made ingredients compared to 1500 ones in BM just ain't "like breastmilk" LOL!!!).

If you want to know where all these pharma companies get the DHA/ARA, goggle Martek Biosciences, and they explain their bleaching and solvent-dipping processes for the ocean sewage that they extract the DHA/ARA from....it's NASTY and I for one would NEVER feed my kid that incredibly disgusting fishing trawler WASTE soaked in Lord knows how many chemicals to get it "safe" enough to give to humans (IMO, it's not safe).

http://www.martek.com/

If you read on their website in the "commercial" section, they purposely say that adding this DHA/ARA to infant formula is done for marketing purposes because people "are willing to pay extra for it." So "the marketing opportunity awaits you."

At least with the Earth's Best Organic, you know that most of the ingredients have higher standards for quality.

Kristine
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #30
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I looked at the Formula's at Walmart today, and I couldnt find any that said they didnt have iron (which someone said is where the metallic taste comes from). I also didnt see any organic in the Walmart brand...maybe I'm not sure what to look for?
Out of the GOODSTART formulas; is one better than another? I noticed they have 3 different ones....Supreme, Supreme with Comfort Proteins and Soy.

Also, I bought a Dr. Browns bottle. Do you think that will help with gas bubbles?