Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #31
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Re: Formula question

Dr. Brown's bottles helped with gas reflux for us---

For the Goodstart, that's my favorite. I went with the one with DHA/ARA.

But both my kids have needed Nutramigen. Which smells like it's rotten skunk butt.

Advertisement

MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #32
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMegan View Post
But both my kids have needed Nutramigen. Which smells like it's rotten skunk butt.
I about fell out of my chair laughing. Thats aweful! Poor kiddo's (lol).
Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #33
Okiemunchkinsmom
Banned

A lot of my foster babies can only tolerate Good Start Essentials formula. It's very basic, more so than the Good Start Supreme. And I never use the DHA/ARA stuff because I've never had a baby tolerate it.

I swear by the Dr. Brown's bottles, if baby isn't already used to a certain bottle when I get them then Dr. Brown's is what I use.

I hope you find something that works! Good luck
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #34
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

You would be just fine with the Goodstart SUPREME only. Some ppl/studies have shown the DHA/ARA is causing probs but I don't think we ever did with that brand or the Similac brand with DHA/ARA.

It's a week so the Supreme is fine and it's reasonably cheaper then Similac and Enfimil.

Also, check the FFS area for coupon checks. They do offer them in the Nestle Good Start and I've seen them in the FFS area. That will help financially too.

For bottles. Dr. Browns, Avent or the Playtex nursers with the disposable liners. Those Playtex ones have nipples more like mom's breast now. And, pushing the air out makes the chance of gas/bubble less and it operates more like moms breast. The thing about the playtex nursers is sometimes you will notice that the bag fills back up with air when you set it down to burp the baby. Make sure to push the air out each time you give it back to your dc.

Also, burping is way more necessary with bottles as you probably already know. With babies that are 3 mos and younger I burped every couple of ounces. Newborn-first month every 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce and for 2-3 mos old every 2 ounces.

For preparing powdered formula, get a koolaide pitcher (2 quart). Figure out the necessary amount of water and scoops of formula to prepare 2 quarts worth *or how much you are making/needing*. Mix the formula and water with a wisk until all the clumps have disolved.

Poor into bottles and refriderate the bottles. When a bottle is needed gently tip bottle upside down once or twice and then put in the warming unit (most ppl have a bottle warmer that works on steam - I had one but also used the microwave; micro isn't recommended thought cuz of hot spots in the formula and ppl not knowing about them and how to prevent them/let the bottle cool before serving). After it's warm tip again gently and serve. Do not make more than 2 days worth at a time.

A baby will go 3-4 hours on formula and you may find that your dc will want to eat as often as he/she did before because s/he is used to eating that way. But, when they do eat it may not be as much because they didn't realize how full they actually were. So, at first you may deal with interesting patterns and maybe overeating/spitting up but that is normal so don't worry that it's the formula! LOL Plus, do to this stuff being so different you may see many other eating changes/issues. All of which are probably going to be normal as the switch will be hard on your baby at first.

The whole deal with this is to prepare the formula ahead of time so it has plenty of time to sit and get the air bubbles out prior to the baby eating. When the baby is hungry the last thing you want to do is to mix the bottle on the spot and shake it to death doing so then offer it to a hungry "gulping" baby. The more hungry the more they gulp/take larger drinks and with bottles they will deffinately do that. The nipple with the bottle may bring more formula out then the baby is used to getting with the breast so that may cause some over indulging. LOL

I would buy a nipple marked as "slow flow" so that baby isn't getting too much milk at once. And, then get one for "medium flow" so you have it if the baby is not happy with the speed of the slower flowing nipple.

Make sure you boil all nipples and bottle parts/prep them before use. Directions for each type of bottle come with them. (sorry if you know all of this already......lol)

Good luck mama!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 11-12-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #35
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alyssa, thanks so much for all the info! I hadnt thought about the bubble issue...good thing you mentioned it!

Ok, so with the goats milk (as someone suggested) is there a goats milk baby formula? Or do you just buy regular goats milk? If so, do I just heat it and give it to her?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #36
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

No there is a recipe in the Dr. Sears baby book for what to add to it. Most people do a liquid omega supplement and certain vitamins I believe.