Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need this baby to SLEEP!

I am really frustrated right now. My youngest is 5.5 months and doesn't sleep well AT ALL. I wah at night and I can't get my work done because she wakes up about 3 times in a couple of hours and won't let my dh sooth her at all. She just wants mama. Working during the day isn't really an option either because the boys constantly interrupt. She does nap during the day usually for NO MORE than an hour and of course I still have the boys to take care of. I'm just really frustrated and beginning to reconsider if this is worth an extra $75/week. I've even tried getting up early in the am when hubby goes to work, but she CONSTANTLY wants to nurse (we co-sleep) and if I try rocking her to sleep, it takes forever and she's right back up after 1/2 hr. or so.

Both of my boys were like this too and I'm beginning to think it's something I'm doing or not doing, I don't know.

Maybe I'll quit doing the data entry for now until she's older. I can always go back to it, they're always looking for ppl.

Thanks for listening to me whine

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 AM   #2
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

Re: I need this baby to SLEEP!

have you ever tried a fisher price side to side swing? my babies spent a good bit of tiem in them and LOVED them. now, it wont do anything for her if she is waking due to hunger, but it might help if she is just fussy.

have you tried mylicon drops?

what about checking for teething?

also--you nurse both sides at a feeding right?

not sure any of this will help. g/l

**also--this wont be popular, but you may have to accept that she is old enough to 'play' you. my dd started refusing to sleep for grammy or daddy around 6 mos. she would throw a fit b/c she knew they would panic and get her out of the crib or walk her or whatever. you may have to let her cry. it doesnt mean you abandon her. you can go in and soothe her every 5 mins to let her know you are there, but I woudnt pick her up....unless she is hungry--different story all together. If she is hungry, this may be a growth spurt or she may just be a big eater, but I am not an advocate of letting a hungry baby cry.

Last edited by sunshinebabies3; 11-10-2006 at 07:21 AM.
sunshinebabies3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have no suggestions, just wanted to offer hugs. Aidan is not a great sleeper, though I thinkk he has some breathing problems we are getting checked out.

But my 3 yr old isnt and never was a good sleeper. Now my middle dd is great. I know how frustrating it is...G/L.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried swaddling? That has seemed to work for my 4 month old as long as it is really tight.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamac View Post
Have you tried swaddling? That has seemed to work for my 4 month old as long as it is really tight.
swaddling is a good suggestion. Of course, I can't say too much b/c my DD has NEVER (except maybe three times) slept more than four hours straight- generally, waking every 2-3 hours.
HUGS!!!
Have you tried Happiest Baby on the Block or the No Cry Sleep Solution? Both are great books, my DD is just way too stubborn.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hear you, and I am sending hugs your way! My daughter sleeps fairly well at night, but GETTING her to sleep in another issue. Sometimes it takes 2 hours! She just fights it so hard. And, like you, she doesnt want anyone but me. If she does wake up, she will scream bloody murder if my hubby goes in to comfort her. She rarely tolerates him anyways.
She NEVER naps. NOT EVER. It horrid. She will only snooze for maybe 10 minutes in my arms during the day. By the time bedtime rolls around she is a ticking time bomb! My girl is only 4 months, so I dread the months to come.

Have you tried CALMS FORTE? Its an herbal, totally natural homeopathic sleep aid. It does help my daughter a lot, once she falls asleep. Without it she never really goes deep into sleep. They sell a kids version, or you can crush up and adult tablet. Its by HYLANDS.
Other than that, what about some lavendar in a little pillow in bed with her? Lavendar is so soothing and calming.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

mama,
I too have no real suggestions other than maybe trying out the book "Healthy sleep habits, happy baby" as it gave me a ton of great info for my DS who's definately not in the category of a great sleeper.. (As right now he's getting 4 more teeth [#15,16,17 & 18] and wakes up 5-6x at night again He's almost 16 mo. old.) I think with him I only had maybe 8 wks of great night time sleep w/in these entire 15.5 months to whereas my DD was an awesome sleeper from 4 mo. on..

I hope it'll be better soon!I know it's very frustrating!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I highly recommend swaddling!! I did it at 2 mos w/ my last and it was a life saver!! I couldn't put my ds down at night for more than 45 mins w/o him waking to nurse. It was CONSTANT!! Even if I didn't want to co-sleep it was the only way we could sleep! I can't imagine having to work during that time. I would recommend the Miracle Blanket and even if she doesn't like it at first, it works!!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
queenie3
Registered Users
seller

Hugs mama.... my dd is 5 weeks old and she wanted to nurse constantly too... this is when I discovered that I wasn't producing enough milk so thus she was always hungry... could this be it?
queenie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
seller

I so totally feel your pain. Brayden is almost 10 months old and still wakes several times a night, sometimes to eat, sometimes just for cuddling. He is very hard to get to sleep, and naps during the day are usually 20 of 30 minutes. I'm beginning to think he will never sleep through the night.
Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote