Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Anyone have hypo/hyper thyroidism?

I am slightly hypo - we discovered it when my first child was about 9 months old. I have been on 50 mcg. of llevothyroxine since then and through my second pregnancy. The endo monitored it and it never needed to be adjusted while I was pg.. I just went for my 2 mo. post delivery check with the endo, and now my thyroid is high, so I'm supposed to discontinue my meds and check back with him in two weeks. Has this happened to anyone? Will it affect my milk supply? Thanks for any info.

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
DEmomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have hypo/hyper thyroidism?

I have hypothyroidism. It was discovered during pre-natal bloodwork with my 2nd pregnancy. I was put on 0.5MG Levothyroxin. I have been on it since I was 4 weeks pregnant with my DD. I've been tested a couple times since then and it's normal. I nursed my DD for 12 months with no problems. I will say that my milk supply was much less than it was when I had DS. But, I don't know if that was because of the medication or because it was a different pregnancy and each is different.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm hypo also. Was diagnosed at 15 by my grandmother's doctor who noticed my neck seemed enlarged and did bloodwork. I was on 50mcgs of Synthroid for a few months, then couldn't afford it anymore and went off until I got pregnant with Dakotah, I told the prenatal doc at my first appt, they tested me, my TSH level was 29.1 which is really high. So I was promptly put on 150 mcgs of Synthroid. I was tested last, 2 months pp and med's were reduced to 125mcgs, I need to go get retested soon...but it hasn't affected my milk

Side note, my migraines get a LOT worse when my meds are off or if I accidently skip more than one day of meds
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you have post partum hypothyroidism. It CAN go away after awhile. I had it after I had #2 & took synthroid 50mg for about a year I think (was diagnosed when she was 4mos old). I did NOT get it after having #3 though (I should remember to get retested again though since I've had it in the past & its been about 2yrs since I was tested).
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

I had thyroid cancer 10 years ago, had a thyroidectomy, and have been on thyroid hormone replacement ever since. I had my dd and had no problems with milk. In fact, I was always leaking. She was my first. During my pregnancy, my levels had to be adjusted 4 times.

Everyone who has problems with their thyroid should really take testing more seriously. Did you know your thyroid affects your metabolism, reproductive organs, and your heart?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I have hypo also. My doctor hates syntheroid though. He said that your thyroid hormones are naturally high in the am and should dip in the pm. Syntheroid keeps them high all of the time. I take Armour Thyroid which is a natural thyroid from pig thyroid. It gives you the morning high hormones and then gradually decreases as the day goes on. Armour is supposed to also help your thyroid heal itself and many people are anle to discontinue it after 4-5 years. I started on 60mg, up to 90mg, then 120mg, and now am on 180 mg. We are still trying to find the right level for me, this has only been since April
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

I'm hypo too. I take 112 mg synthroid daily. It is reccommended that all women over the age of 30 get tested for it and that they do not only a THS, but a free AND total T-4 and T-3 test. Even being "slightly" hypo can throw your entire body off!
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(lurking) I've been incredibly tired & I'm 6 months pp. I thought maybe I've just been keeping myself too busy, etc., but I think I just shouldn't be THIS tired at 6 months. Like, I want and sometimes do take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, yet wake up exhausted & want to go to bed at 10:00. The fatigue, along with the fact that I'm still shedding handfuls of hair makes me wonder...could this really be a pp thyroid problem?

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #9
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I'm extremely hypo. I had hashimotos (which attacks and kills your thyroid) my TSH levels were 174 when I first got tested. I believe they said normal levels were 2. Anyhoo, I am taking 112mcg of levothyroxin and have my levels checked every 2 months. I feel way better! Also, if any of you are taking levothyroxin (the generic) and you're not feeling better, I've had a few dr's and pharmacitsts tell me sometimes the generic doesn't work as well as the brand name synthroid.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheandaru View Post
(lurking) I've been incredibly tired & I'm 6 months pp. I thought maybe I've just been keeping myself too busy, etc., but I think I just shouldn't be THIS tired at 6 months. Like, I want and sometimes do take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, yet wake up exhausted & want to go to bed at 10:00. The fatigue, along with the fact that I'm still shedding handfuls of hair makes me wonder...could this really be a pp thyroid problem?
I would get checked, especially if you're gaining a lot of weight and if your bp goes up.
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote