Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone have hypo/hyper thyroidism?

Sheandaru, I would get checked. It's just a simple blood test and they'll feel your thyroid to see if it is enlarged. I was feeling exhausted about that time postpartum, also. I never had the weight gain, though. It might just be mommy exhaustion, but it's worth it to get it treated if it is a thyroid issue - especially if you want to have more children.
We think mine was a type of postpartum thyroiditis where my anitbodies attacked my thyroid making it hyper for awhile and then hypo later on. That appears to be what is happening this time, too.

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Forgot to mention that my dd did have thyroid problems at birth too, all of her levels were high which is really abnormal because usually one is high the other low...I also do know that the thyroid gland control multiple things in the body...but I have NO insurance and getting the few hundred dollars together to get tested and seen by a doc is very difficult with a child.
Judi, Single Mama to Dakotah 4 and Joshua 13 months
Tootsie Tootles My Gallery Etsy
Will Knit For Yarn, Your Yarn My Needles, Custom Handspinning Available, PM ME!
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
Registered Users

I'm hypo also. I'm on 120 mg Armour thyroid but need to get checked as my symptoms are getting worse. Since having ds, my thyroid seems to be peetering out bit by bit. I read that hypo is associated with low milk supply but I never had that problem (was medicated though). I haven't heard anything about hyper and milk supply, but I guess I don't read a lot about hyper either. I would keep an eye on it over the coming months. At 19 months ppd, I don't think my thyroid has stabilized yet.

Mommyto3girls, I appreciate you mentioning that level should go down during the day. I had read somewhere that people taking Armour should split their dose and take half in the am and half in the pm to keep their levels stable. Maybe I should take it all in the am?

Tootsiemomma, would you qualify for any insurance through the state? Hormonal imbalances can have such an impact on a person (I've been there!). I hate to think of you not getting the help you need.
Mom to James 3/27/05, Samuel 3/26/08
Choice Soaps - 20% off unscented Guinness Stout soap in October 2010!
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have hypothyroidism and have had it since the birth of my first child. They told me it could go away but it's stuck with me ever since. Right now I am on 125mcg synthroid and who knows what it will be after this pregnancy. So far it's stayed the same but it tends to go a little crazy at the end. It CAN have a major effect on your supply if you don't get the right meds and make sure it's under control. I always have supply issues since right after birth mine goes crazy.
~*Candice*~ Wife, Doula, Midwifery student and SAHM to 4, Expecting a new little one around Christmas!
Luv2bemommy is offline   Reply With Quote