Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So how do you describe labor pain??

Not sure if this should go in this board or not, I'm just curious how you all describe contractions? Everyone told me it was like a really bad menstral cramp, so I went in it thinking it wasn't gonna be that bad...HA!! It was nothing like period cramps at all. I would describe it this way, Like you just finished a giant mexican meal, and it didn't agree with you, you have to go to the restroom really really really badly, but you can't. Those cramps that come in waves like that, burning and all, that's what it felt only 10 times worse, it felt as though she was trying to burst out of my stomach. So how did it feel for you??

Advertisement

Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Re: So how do you describe labor pain??

I was always told "you'll just know."

HA.

With DS my mom and MIL knew I was in labor because I was having such a horrid back ache. I was in the tub with the shower blasting hot water onto it. It was into my legs, all over... but nothing I could time... it was constant. Then when my water broke it all stopped-- the pit induced contractions were hellish and one on top of the other for a few hours until he was born... I felt like my rib cage was being squeeze to the point of breaking and my stomach would explode.

With DD? It was like cramps.... and pressure. The pressure was the only thing that clued me in.... I'd had BH for weeks, 4-6 minutes apart the from about 31 weeks on.... My first real "this is it" contraction was at the hospital while I was joking witha nurse about how they'd send me home for being paranoid about the pressure-- it took my breath away and took all my concentration to breath through it... hoenstly, nothing about her labor was painful... even the delivery was... okay. Not comfy, but it was.... simple, with breathing and peace and quiet it was fine. I could have done it for hours LOL.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
soggygranolamomma
Banned
seller

My Mood:

It depends at what point in labor.

I know for a while it felt like REALLY bad diarrhea cramps, but like you said, you can't "go" and relieve it. My thighs cramped and I have felt menstrual cramps like that here and there but definately more like food poisoning cramps.

At the end, transition maybe, it feels like your intestines are ripping open.

I ruptured my intestine and had peritonitis. I was septic and nearly died. While in transition for my last baby (I got sick after my 4th baby was born) I completely freaked out and was screaming that my Crohn's was back and my intestine was rupturing and they needed to get a surgeon and get the baby out right away! They kept telling me I was fine but I swear, it felt exactly the same. A visceral pain like no other I have ever felt before.
soggygranolamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was told you would just know...I did know though, I had the first major contraction about 6 hours before I woke up in labor. It was different, and PAINFUL, not like BH were. But when I woke up with them seeming constant, I just knew that was it.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggygranolamomma View Post
It depends at what point in labor.

I know for a while it felt like REALLY bad diarrhea cramps, but like you said, you can't "go" and relieve it. My thighs cramped and I have felt menstrual cramps like that here and there but definately more like food poisoning cramps.

At the end, transition maybe, it feels like your intestines are ripping open.

I ruptured my intestine and had peritonitis. I was septic and nearly died. While in transition for my last baby (I got sick after my 4th baby was born) I completely freaked out and was screaming that my Crohn's was back and my intestine was rupturing and they needed to get a surgeon and get the baby out right away! They kept telling me I was fine but I swear, it felt exactly the same. A visceral pain like no other I have ever felt before.
Ah, see, I had an epi after 7 hours, I was 3 cm, and they hit me with pit drip and broke my water at the same time, so my uterus went in overdrive and had a 6 min contraction where I was biting the handrail and screaming.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how scary about the intenstinal rupture though! I can't imagine how horrifing labor was after having gone through something like that
Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I am no help in this area, I had an emergency c section with dd before I was even dialated, and a scheduled c section with ds so I have never really felt labor, but I have heard that "you will know" also
Old 11-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

With DD, the BH were a mix. I went into preterm labor at 31 weeks-- I'd have them since about 20 but one afternoon realized I'd have 5 or 6 good strength ones in under half an hour. Terb and a few other drugs.... and I still had them.... I'd have 3-4 hours every evening where they'd be 4-5 minutes apart and I.... maybe I got used to it.

I remember someone telling me delivery was (almost verbatim) "like taking a really good dump." Not exactly the magical, sweet image I had been expecting to hear LOL.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
Ah, see, I had an epi after 7 hours, I was 3 cm, and they hit me with pit drip and broke my water at the same time, so my uterus went in overdrive and had a 6 min contraction where I was biting the handrail and screaming.
That sounds like hell.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can imagine it was like taking a big dump, I never got her head completely out of my, after pushing for 2 1/2 hours, her being face up and 10 lbs, failed forceps, vacuum, episiotomy, I had a c-section, so I don't know much about the feeling of actually pushing the head out. My mom could see Dakotah's hair but after every push, she'd go right back up