Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #21
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So how do you describe labor pain??

I had back labor, so I'm not really sure what the other kind of contractions feel like.

Back labor is pretty bad though. It kind of feels (I imagine) like someone has a HUGE knife in your lower back, and they keep twisting it back and forth. It takes your breath away for a minute, and you kind of gasp through it, and then you can breath again.

Not fun at all, but after the epidural, all was GREAT! And in the end, my son was healthy and that was all that mattered! He was 5+ weeks early, so we were really scared he'd having breathing issues, but thanks to the steroid shots, he was perfect! No NICU at all! Sorry... that was kind of off topic.

ETA: My recovery was AWESOME! I was sore (not bad, enough that one IBProfen (sp?) was enough to keep me feeling fine) for the first, oh 3 days. After that I was careful with myself, and was sore if I did certain things, but basically I felt fine! I was way more scared of the recovery than I was the labor, but in the end, both went really well for me. Pushing being the worst part. But that went really quick (20 minutes start to him out. I think maybe 6 pushes?)

Advertisement

Last edited by JustAugust; 11-11-2006 at 12:15 AM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

living hell I was in labor for 40 hours and all of them were pretty hard core labor until hour 30 when i finally got the epiural..I was loaded with too much pitocin and it made the pain worse until hour 40 when they were losing both the baby and me and my mom and dh cried & begged my to get the emergency C-section they were offering....I don't know ho wmuch longer either one of us would have lived...it was that bad!!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #23
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

with ds i had horrible back labor, i had no pain meds and after it all wondered if my birth experience with him wouldve been easier, maybe we wouldntve gotten so sickand nearly die on the dr. with dd i had a c/s and was getting contractions but that didnt last long since i was going to have her out soon.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #24
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller

My Mood:

3 births, all very different at very different times in my life. I had a DS at 15 and gave him up for adoption. His was a textbook labor...contractions began slow and steadily increased in intensity and frequency but none of them were unbearable. My mom was my labor coach (of course my summer fling boyfriend didn't stick around for anything) and would not allow me to get out of control. She had 7 of her own and knew all the tricks to help me get and stay focused and breath through everything I felt. I almost felt like she hypnotized me, I don't remember feeling pain, just pressure and confusion. I labored by myself at my parents house (I didn't want to put anyone out anymore than I already had being pregnant at 15 and making my parents take the responsibility for part of it) for 4 hours and then went to the hospital. I was almost sent home by the old hag that checks in people in the am hours. She said I didn't look to be in enough pain or discomfort to be there yet. WTH! I walked my happy *** down to the delivery ward and anounced I was in labor. Nurses rolled their eyes and reluctantly agreed to do a vag check. Imagine everyones surprise when they discovered I was dialated to 8! I remember my mom taking control at that point and 3 hours later (2.5 of which was pushing out my 7 pound ds) I was empty, literally. I had poo'd, peed and birthed a baby. It wasn't painful and I did not have any drugs. I went all natural...

DD#2, was light contractions that felt like BH and when I called my midwife they said to go to the hospital to get checked out b/c of my laboring history. I didn't know I had a "history" after 1 birth! I drove myself the 45 minutes to the hospital by way of back country roads, I wanted to take the scenic route. I got stuck behind a fricking corn truck and that was the only time my contractions seemed to be intense. My water was trickling so I kept wetting myself with each one. They felt like tight hugs from the sides. My back felt like the spine was being ripped out by the devil himself! I really didn't think I was in labor, there was no pelvic pain like the first labor, just this back pain that made me rear end the corn truck twice. The driver never even stopped! When I got to the hospital I was walking into the hospital through the ER entrance, that is the only way into L&D and a security guard stopped me to say that I had to move my car since I obviously was not in an ER situation. DUH! I was bigger than the GoodYear Blimp and wet to my calves with amniotic fluid! He must have thought I spilled coffee...I got an even less enthusiastic reception from the checker-inner lady in L&D. She, too told me that if I thought I was in labor to go walking around for a few hours CALL MY HUSBAND and let him decide when to bring me back! So a 2nd time I walked to the delivery ward and insisted I was in labor. Again, not much pain while I was standing or walking around. Just felt like big strong hugs from the sides and when I got into my room to be checked, there was DD#1! Fully dialated, efaced and crowned ready to be caught. 46 minutes after walking into the hospital, I had to call my mom at work and tell her I wasn't going to be coming over for dinner that night, but she could come see her new granddaughter.

With DD in my 30's...we had so many problems. She got a rough start at 9.5 weeks with an abruption and severe hemorraging which finally resolved at 24 weeks. We were in a car accident at 26 weeks and pre-term labor until she was born a week early by non-medicated induction. My water was broke. No regular contractions so they started the pit drip...those BASTARDS! The anethesiologist hit a vein and I bled out, passed out cold for 2 hours before anyone realized I was not just "napping". They had to stop my epi to redo it and they did not stop the pit...I almost killed over that! I had burning pain that encased my torso from my breasts to my thighs and the labor pain was like a pulsing grip of death that nearly snuffed me out with each contraction. That said, if I could do it again, I would. DH will not and I had a tubal..

This just goes to show every labor can be polar opposites for the same momma!

Last edited by www.ClothDecisions.com; 11-11-2006 at 12:44 AM.
www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #25
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine were like a muscle cramp..like you get in your calf or something...except in my belly...and HORRIBLE back labor. Just like a muscle cramp. A muscle cramp mixed with bowel cramps. Sometimes felt like menstrual cramps, but the worst menstrual cramps of your life. MOSTLY just the muscle cramp feeling...the *worst* muscle cramp. I had very quick pushing stages and when the baby comes out, INSTANT relief...can't even describe how good that felt And instant deflation of the belly...almost comical.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #26
bellasophy04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow there has to be other women out there who have experienced minimal pain. For dd I was in labor for 42 hours and it hurt but not so bad that I needed meds. for ds I had him at home unassisted and the pain once again was not bad and it all went away once he was out.. the best way i can describe the pain is just feeling like i needed to poop.

bellasophy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #27
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasophy04 View Post
wow there has to be other women out there who have experienced minimal pain. For dd I was in labor for 42 hours and it hurt but not so bad that I needed meds. for ds I had him at home unassisted and the pain once again was not bad and it all went away once he was out.. the best way i can describe the pain is just feeling like i needed to poop.
yeah I wish it felt like i needed to poop....it felt like my body was tearing in half from the inside out...i tried as long as i could to not get meds but it was sooo hard and i cried every contraction
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #28
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
Mine were like a muscle cramp..like you get in your calf or something...except in my belly... A muscle cramp mixed with bowel cramps.
Thats what I would consider it.

Near the end I was saying "I NEED TO POOP" LOL. It was just the baby though. I knew I was ALMOST ready to start pushing though, so I knew it was the baby and not poo.

Its really hard to remember though. When I was having a contraction I wasnt thinking about the pain at all. The only thing I was thinking about was my breathing. I was focused on the smoke detector (of all things ) So I would look at that, and breathing and thats all. I remember it was painful but, I didnt focus on the pain enough to figure out "what it felt like"
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #29
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Absolute sheer unimaginable HELL......excruciating pain so far beyond anything i ever could have imagined, unspeakable torture, AGONY that made me pray for death.
I screamed until i ruptured my throat and started screaming out blood.
Real nice.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #30
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine felt like strong pressure in my back and in my lower abdomen. With my 2nd I started contractions at 9:30 (but they weren't terrible) and went to the hopsital at midnight. I was 3cm. They continually got worse through the night but they didn't seem very long each time. Then by 5 am they were so strong and close together I couldn't stand it anymore and finally asked for an epi. The anesth. dr. got there at 5:30 and it seemed to take forever and it was the worst experience sitting up holding onto the nurse waiting for the needle. I had sharp menstrual like pains going from over my whole belly down through my groin. The Epi never took completly...it was more on one side. When my water broke I layed down in bed and almost immediately felt like I had to the bathroom/bowel movement. I told the nurse and she said I probably had to push. He came right out. For me the cramps were bad from about 4-5:30 (so 1.5 hours) and then my water broke at around 5:30 (5cm dialated) and then I pushed him out 30 min later. I'm so hoping for a labor like that again (he was 9lbs 10 oz too!!!). I honestly enjoyed the labor and told DH walking around and bending over during contractions was a lot better than laying down was.