Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Waking up crying

DS is a little over 2. Last night was the second time in a couple weeks that he woke up crying. He sleeps in our bed. We heard him crying, so we both went in to console him. He fell back asleep and then he woke up an hour or two later crying again. We got one of those smelly night light things (LOL, good description?) in case it was the dark that was bothering him. I wonder that he's just having a bad dream? He won't really tell me much when I ask him what's wrong. He also won't let DH touch him or talk to him, only me. But I think that's just a mama thing. He kind of shuts down when I ask if something doesn't feel good or if he had a bad dream. He talks a lot, but I'm not sure he has the words for all of it, KWIM?
Any ideas? I want to help if I can, but he's not giving me anything to go off of.

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Waking up crying

my DS does that too. He tells me its the monster or monkeys. Poor guy. Its probably a bad dream and he just doesn't know how to explain it KWIM? Just give him some extra lovins!
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Need to get Ashley fed.... I've got thoughts on this... BTDT in a big way.... I'll be back.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Lucky for you, Miss Ashley is refusing to eat today.

Anyways. I want to say it's normal.... a stage. Caleb will have nightmares, and he wakes up crying and not tell us what's wrong, normally he just wants me to cuddle him, fine, but cosleepign and all he throws a fit and wants DH and Ashley out of the room.

Sometimes he doesn't even wake up, he'll be calling out "Help me mommy!" in his sleep, thrashing, etc.

Caleb's also prone to night terrors, where he'll be up running around, rocking, screaming, babbling, hypterical.... 10 minutes to one that lasted 3 hours... We just make sure he can't hurt himself, and sit in the room that he's wanting to be in, don't try to touch him (because normally it ends up worse)...

FOr nightmares, we have to watch close what TV he watches-- books, food-- we notice he has more if he's had chocolate, or heavier sugar (so holidays, when grandparents visit). Stressful days-- when we have a few days or a week of DH not being home until after he's asleep (and gone before he wakes), the day DH comes home send shim into a fit, wired and over stimulated...

Also, any decongestant and some allergy meds-- that's when we notice major night terrors.

But yes, normal. It's awful and breaks my heart, b ut all you can do is.... love them, give them hugs if they want them, etc.

As for him not wanting DH, that's normal for us. He'll scream "Daddy go away!!! No daddy don't touch me!!" and similar things, which does hurt Doug but... it's normal.

I hope it passes for you guys, it stinks.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I was going to say yours sounded like night terrors, LOL. I had those REALLY BAD when I was little supposedly. I hope that doesn't happen, I don't know how well I could deal with it. It's not genetic is it, LOL?
Yeah, I was thinking it was nightmares. Do I just wait until he can get old enough to tell me what's in the nightmares? Is there anything I can do to help when he does? I know they have those monster sprays, etc. that I could try if it's monsters. I just wish I could help, but beyond leaving another light on I'm not sure what I can do.
I guess one night when I was nursing one of the girls to sleep in bed I heard him crying or laughing in his sleep (I couldn't tell which) and by the time I could roll over to check him he'd stopped. That might have been one, too, except not as bad. It just makes me sad that I don't even know what it is, KWIM?
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

I'll ask him (when he wakes up crying-- nightmare wise) what's wrong and ask what he would like-- normally he'll say he's scared or afraid, but not of what, we'll turn a light on (normally the one in the closet) and he just needs us to cuddle him back to sleep.

We tried monster spray but he said there were no monsters, special night lights, a special toy-- he could care less.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2 is the age when they start to dream. At least that is what I heard. Anyway, it is strange but Thompson just started to have nightmares at 2. Well, he doesn't do anything but cry and we co-sleep so I am not sure wh but he does cry.

I do however STILL have nightterrors... It is aweful and the older I get, the more REAL they are and when I had my baby, he became a member of them. BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote