Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:
Scared the crap out of me (choking)

I got back from the Post Office and was making the kids lunch.
Madi was eating and J was (as usual) playing with her food. She took a bite of banana (I cut them into strips) and was just looking at me like in a daze. I realized she was chocking and tried smacking her back (it usually works) and nothing. she started turning like purple and I just screamed, picked her up and did the heimleich (sp?) on her. The banana came up but she was still not breathing and turing a darker color. I layed her on the floor and got one breath in her and she started breathing. I think she was in total shock. I just now have her calmed down and laying next to me. I was so scared that she was not going to breath again, I just started crying all the while doing what I was trained to do. I am now so thankful I took the time to become CPR certified and First Aid trained.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Scared the crap out of me (choking)

hugs mama. I am glad she is okay. How scary.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

What a scare! to both of you! Let this be a reminder to all of us to review hemliech and rescue breathing for infants and children!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh how scary! I'm glad she's ok! This happened to Bram recently and it scared the crap out of me too. I even wound up calling 911 because everything they taught us in the NICU wasn't working (but of course it finally came up once I got connected).

Anyway, its a good thing you're trained in CPR and such.... It was required of us before DS could leave the NICU at Children's which I think is a good idea.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My kids have choked but never that major. I was so scared that something was going to happen to her. I just did what came to me and gave her tons of kisses and I love yous when it was over. I called her mom and asked her to talk to J to calm her down a bit and that seemed to work a little. Now she is resting sound, I don't know what I would've done if something had happened to her. Really makes you realize how much you can care about someone even though they aren't yours.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
jodi74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How scary for you. Glad she is ok though.
jodi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

You know this JUST happened to me this weekend. MIL was feeding grapes to DS & she cut them into pieces & DH kept telling her cut them smaller but she kept saying "oh they're fine" but DS swallows a lot, doens't always chew. Anyway, we went for a drive & thank god for my 3yo who told me "something is wrong w/Brandon" b/c I just assumed he was sleeping since he wasn't making noise. I pulled the car over & his lips were blue. He was choking on a grape that he ate 30 mins earlier. I guess he burped it up on the car trip. Anyway I had to do the same thing you did to dislodge it & then tons of food followed it. Scared the CRAP out of me.

Glad it turned out ok for you too!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How awful!!! I'm glad she's ok! When my now 2.5yo first had a Breath-Holding Spell I called 911 b/c I thought he was choking! It was the scariest minute of my LIFE! It was all in slow motion! I'm glad she's ok now and that you're certified in CPR!! What a life-saver huh??
Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

((hugs))
How scary! You wouldn't think that a banana would be a choking hazard to a three year old any more... an infant yes... but a small child.
Smart mama to be trained.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that is scary! Is that the little one you watch?
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote