Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
momindc
Registered Users
seller

Anyone else freaking out about the Zika virus?

I went to my appointment with my midwife, and she was clear that although a link hasn't been clearly established between microcephaly and Zika, the information they have is of enough concern to warrant extreme caution. I'm due in late June and live on a street teeming with mosquitoes once it's warm out. They're even inside my apartment, and I suspect many of them get indoors hidden in my dog's fur. I also love taking daily hikes in the woods in front of my place. It keeps me sane and healthy. And I can't expect my four year old daughter to never go outside until I give birth, or my large dog to not need to go on walks to do her business. I'm struggling to wrap my head around what choices I should make, how to protect myself, and what kind of clothing will protect me yet not kill me from the heat (I live in Washington DC, where summers are very hot and humid).

What's your plan of action? Any thoughts that will calm me down? The mild weather we're having now, coupled with the little bugs I'm starting to see, are making me really dread the months to come.

Advertisement

momindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

My husband uses this thing I think it's called a thermacell?? It's in the camping hunting section of Walmart. But we had a super rainy September last year and so it made the woods crazy with mosquitos. He hunts deer and has to lay still in a tree stand and he said that thing made it so the mosquitos were no where around. I think I'd get that for when you want to go hiking or to the park with your little. Tons of citronella oil and bug spray/lotion. And if you are in a more rural area most towns have trucks that can spray the neighborhoods to kill the larvae in the water sources. If you called ahead and explained your concern they would probably be sure your area was higher priority.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #3
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else freaking out about the Zika virus?

We have tons of Mosquitos here. You can literally hear them at dusk =(. I find that if I eat a lot of extra garlic (fresh) or take garlic tablets (cheap ones, not the expensive ones) then the garlic oils that are naturally expelled through your skin is great repellant without poisoning yourself. Just check if there are levels of garlic that are not safe in pregnancy because I do not know about that. We make it a point to cook with lots of garlic while camping!

I understand it might be an adjustment to get used to the garlic smell, but let's be honest, citronella and deet aren't exactly great fragrances either!
Tshebby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #4
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...ansmsnhealth11

This has been big the last day or two as they are confirming a very strong link by multiple organizations.

I'm terrified of Zika. We lost a baby in November to Anencephaly and I don't want any issues this time. We live a few miles from Mexico border in CA. We have the type of mosquitos that can carry the virus here but since it's so dry here that helps ease my mind a bit....less breeding ground.

With that said if I was in an area with bad mosquitos I would use DEET. I don't use DEET but I wouldn't be taking chances. that's actually what they were recommending to woman in Brazil. As soon as they got up to apply DEET. Not just when you go outside.

Mosquitos LOVE me.... I get eaten alive and I'm allergic and welt up like crazy.
I'm glad to be in the desert and have not gotten a mosquito bite in 3 years since we got here.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
momindc
Registered Users
seller

Thank you mamas for the info! I wonder if I could use that Thermacell for indoors? I'm honestly thinking of putting it in inside the entrance to our building so the mosquitoes don't come in when we open the door! I'll ask my midwives about garlic, but despite my passion for green products, I'll be bathing in Deet as soon as I wake up in the morning!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
ajaynak
Registered Users
seller

What would you do for your babies if you were concerned about dense mosquitos and possible mosquito spread illnesses? I'm heading to mosquito country to visit relatives and while I'm not pregnant my husband is terrified of our 6 month old contracting an illness from mosquitos. I have less paranoia but am concerned about keeping the bugs from attacking her.
ajaynak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
momindc
Registered Users
seller

Can you keep your baby fully covered when outside? If heat is a problem, I'd use those very light Aden & Anais swaddling blankets on her as much as possible, and lightweight clothing in breathable fabrics that cover her legs and arms. Herbal Armor All Terrain Natural Insect Repellent is a very good natural option, but you have to reapply it often. I went camping with my daughter when she was six months old and these things worked fine for her. She didn't get that many bites.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
momindc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynak View Post
What would you do for your babies if you were concerned about dense mosquitos and possible mosquito spread illnesses? I'm heading to mosquito country to visit relatives and while I'm not pregnant my husband is terrified of our 6 month old contracting an illness from mosquitos. I have less paranoia but am concerned about keeping the bugs from attacking her.
Can you keep your baby fully covered when outside? If heat is a problem, I'd use those very light Aden & Anais swaddling blankets on her as much as possible, and lightweight clothing in breathable fabrics that cover her legs and arms. Herbal Armor All Terrain Natural Insect Repellent is a very good natural option, but you have to reapply it often. I went camping with my daughter when she was six months old and these things worked fine for her. She didn't get that many bites.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #9
belindacampbell
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you can have a fan on when outside directly pointing toward baby the mosquitos can't fly though the wind so it would help with protection.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
belindacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
abh5e8
Registered Users

Are you outside the US? We don't have the mosquitoes that carry zika here. I'm not going to and areas that have zika and I hate mosquitoes in general, but I'm not worried.