Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #1341
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts View Post
I haven't read through all of this thread...only about 8 pgs. But I did want to say thanks for posting it.
3 years ago we had our son after having 4 girls. DH was set on getting him circ'd for the sole reason that "he is and his dad isnt and his dads looks nasty".
When ds was born at home I thought he perfect. He was perfect. Because we had a HB nobody locally would do it. My midwife said if we wanted it done we would have to travel 3 hours to a,rabi who does it. She explained that the way he did it was less painful, less bloody. Ect..that it took only a couple minutes....while a doc could take up to 30 min.
if every mother had to watch their baby endure such agony there would be far less circumcision going on. The Rabi laughed and joked and at one point even said "ooopps I cut his penis off" all the while my nb was screaming his head off in a way I have never heard a baby scream. They handed him to me and told me to nurse him. He wouldn't nurse all he could do was cry. My heart was broken and I felt like I failed to protect my baby. They injured his legs the way they held him down and for a week at least he cried when he moved his hips. He screamed everytime I changed his diaper and everytime he pee'd for what seemed like forever until it healed. He cried for at least 3 hours non stop after the procedure and I sobbed as well. For months I struggled with myself for allowing that to happen to my son.
And from what I understand...i had a "good, normal" experiance with it.
I have another son coming soon. He will not be circ'd.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #1342
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Thank you for this educational thread. It prompted me to look up some more information. I have one friend in Canada who is non-circ, but circ is completely normative in my circles. Even though Galatians takes a neutral position on circumcision (it doesn't say that Christians should not but also doesn't say they should... only Timothy was circumcised as an adult to make their ministry to Jews smoother), I guess we'd all heard the line that staying intact furthers infections. We were told that this was proof of the wisdom of the God of Israel (and thus the Christian God). But if those allegations do not hold true, then circumcision was more religious and ceremonial than it was an issue of wisdom for health. And that is a game-changer... or it could be if more women were informed. There could be resistance in my devout Christian circles though--not b/c they believe Christians need to be circumcised for religious reasons but b/c they might think you are questioning the wisdom of God. Anyhow, I was struck to learn about the naturally lubricating properties of the intact system.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #1343
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bea2269 View Post
You are your son's advocate. Never assume that your son's doctor will not retract. I was lucky that she dropped the issue and let go. I would definitely write no retraction on his diapers. You could label them for anyone watching your son. Of course, that doesn't take the place of speaking with them also. Most people don't know not to. It is what was always done. It does lead to adhesions. Kudos for giving your son the choice!
Yes! With my son's first doctor, a family practitioner, she was educated enough to know not to touch the penis.

However when I left that practice I was to a pedi that attempted to "just see how far it would go", thankfully I stopped him before any damage was done.
We did not return to that doctor.

After that we went to a family practice/nurse practitioner, and they never attempted to even look much less touch his penis.

My son is almost ten now and wont allow a doctor or anyone else for that matter look/touch his genitals.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #1344
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts View Post
I haven't read through all of this thread...only about 8 pgs. But I did want to say thanks for posting it.
3 years ago we had our son after having 4 girls. DH was set on getting him circ'd for the sole reason that "he is and his dad isnt and his dads looks nasty".
When ds was born at home I thought he perfect. He was perfect. Because we had a HB nobody locally would do it. My midwife said if we wanted it done we would have to travel 3 hours to a,rabi who does it. She explained that the way he did it was less painful, less bloody. Ect..that it took only a couple minutes....while a doc could take up to 30 min.
if every mother had to watch their baby endure such agony there would be far less circumcision going on. The Rabi laughed and joked and at one point even said "ooopps I cut his penis off" all the while my nb was screaming his head off in a way I have never heard a baby scream. They handed him to me and told me to nurse him. He wouldn't nurse all he could do was cry. My heart was broken and I felt like I failed to protect my baby. They injured his legs the way they held him down and for a week at least he cried when he moved his hips. He screamed everytime I changed his diaper and everytime he pee'd for what seemed like forever until it healed. He cried for at least 3 hours non stop after the procedure and I sobbed as well. For months I struggled with myself for allowing that to happen to my son.
And from what I understand...i had a "good, normal" experiance with it.
I have another son coming soon. He will not be circ'd.
Im sorry momma.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1345
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
After reading some of your experiences with pedis and nurses trying to retract I've been thinking, why are these people even touching these boys genitals? I mean I get if there was some sort of an issues with rashes or infections, but a health baby being brought in for a check up, or being brought in for a non-genital related issue, and being man handled in such a way is mind boggling. I don't have a boy, but when my daughter was brought into the dr for a check up or even for a diaper rash no one was trying to man handle her bits, they didn't even spread her labia, let alone try and see "how far" her clitoral hood would go. This just seems like such a warped practice.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1346
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am also mind-blown by the stories of doctors handling the boy parts. It almost sounds like they expect there to be some hidden infection to look out for b/c circ is normative to them?

I can say that from what I've read, one way to reconcile the Jewish tradition of circumcision for me is simply to recognize that if it is strongly recommended to have water running over all the surfaces each day to avoid infection, then while circ seems not to have any health benefits for our day, it probably did have a preventitive health benefit as well as religious meaning in the ancient near eastern deserts.

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #1347
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
The dr has to check that the testicles are descended. That's why they are spending any time down there.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #1348
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:
My ex in high school was 18 when he had to have surgery because he WASN'T circumcised. He didn't have infections, but he did have health problems because if it .

Also, every guy in my high school that wasn't circumcised was made fun of till no end and given nicknames like "slug". It was horrible for them. And that wasn't 30+ years ago, that was just 4. Oh, and they've carried those nicknames with them ever since.

I heard my son get circumcised and he was fine. There was no crying (not because of shock, but because he slept through it).

I can count on one hand the people I know that aren't circumcised and they are practically shunned for it. Circumcision is extremely common here, like 80% - 90%

And for what it's worth, sex with my husband is 100 times better than sex with someone uncircumcised. It was like a gross shell with my ex. No thanks!

Just my opinion, to each their own.

Last edited by august6; 02-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.
august6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #1349
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
The dr has to check that the testicles are descended. That's why they are spending any time down there.
Yeah, I should have specified penis when I said I was shocked that doctors were fiddling down there. But perhaps there are things that they always look for by sight on the penis that they don't know how to see on a non-circ penis. Hence the confusing appointments.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #1350
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by august6 View Post
My ex in high school was 18 when he had to have surgery because he WASN'T circumcised. He didn't have infections, but he did have health problems because if it .
Interesting--thanks.