Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #1461
Mackie3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

I really wish I would have known about this sooner. I had my first son in january and had him circumcized because I just thought that was the normal thing to do. Now I wish I still oblivious because I feel horrible regret now.

Advertisement

Mackie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #1462
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie3 View Post
I really wish I would have known about this sooner. I had my first son in january and had him circumcized because I just thought that was the normal thing to do. Now I wish I still oblivious because I feel horrible regret now.
well if you have another boy he can be intact, and you can share with others what you now know.

when you know better you do better. knowledge is power.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #1463
Mackie3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
well if you have another boy he can be intact, and you can share with others what you now know.

when you know better you do better. knowledge is power.

True...I just wish this wasn't going to be on my mind for weeks now. Why do doctors and staff not tell you this stuff? They just act like its the routine practice. ..
Mackie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #1464
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Actually, Galatians 5:6 doesn't say NOT to circ. I'm not here to argue for or against circumcision, I just feel that the spread of false information about it is wrong. If you want an informative thread, it should be informative and not biased on opinions or a misinterpretation of scripture.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #1465
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie3 View Post
True...I just wish this wasn't going to be on my mind for weeks now. Why do doctors and staff not tell you this stuff? They just act like its the routine practice. ..
because they make money off it
Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #1466
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Actually, Galatians 5:6 doesn't say NOT to circ. I'm not here to argue for or against circumcision, I just feel that the spread of false information about it is wrong. If you want an informative thread, it should be informative and not biased on opinions or a misinterpretation of scripture.
Let's not forget that ancient circumcisions was very different than what we do today. Back then there was a slit made in the foreskin and the entire foreskin was NOT removed. So any debate over whether the New Testament forbids or condones circumcision is irrelevant anyway because we're not even talking about the same procedure.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #1467
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Let's not forget that ancient circumcisions was very different than what we do today. Back then there was a slit made in the foreskin and the entire foreskin was NOT removed. So any debate over whether the New Testament forbids or condones circumcision is irrelevant anyway because we're not even talking about the same procedure.
First, I don't think you can find the way the procedure is done in the Bible. Though in one instance it was done with a rock and the skin was thrown on the ground, so that leads me to believe it was more than a slit.

But that wasn't my point, and I really don't care if people circ or not. My point is, number nine on this list says that Galatians 5:6 tells Christians not to circ and that is incorrect.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #1468
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten

First, I don't think you can find the way the procedure is done in the Bible. Though in one instance it was done with a rock and the skin was thrown on the ground, so that leads me to believe it was more than a slit.

But that wasn't my point, and I really don't care if people circ or not. My point is, number nine on this list says that Galatians 5:6 tells Christians not to circ and that is incorrect.
I agree that the point is not quite accurately made. That said, Christians are instructed to not be under the law, so Christians should feel no need to circumcise. God doesn't care if you do it as long as if you are doing it, it's not because you feel it will somehow make god pleased with you.

I also don't believe that biblical circulation was a slit, but I'm also sure it was not a total amputation of the foreskin. If so, how do you explain the verses where a group of men were re-circumcised? If the foreskin were completely gone, that would be impossible to do. A full amputation of the foreskin is also much more dangerous, particularly outside of a modern hospital setting, so its doubtful such and extreme measure would have been required or done.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #1469
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

There are other historical records besides the Bible that help us understand the cultural norms and traditions from the Bible. I've read several sources that say ancient circumcision did not remove the entire foreskin. And it makes sense if you think about the medical knowledge they had then. Lot of babies would have died from infections and blood loss (things that would be easily treatable now) if they had been removing the entire foreskin.

http://www.fisheaters.com/circumcision2.html
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/07/bibli...formation.html
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #1470
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
There are other historical records besides the Bible that help us understand the cultural norms and traditions from the Bible. I've read several sources that say ancient circumcision did not remove the entire foreskin. And it makes sense if you think about the medical knowledge they had then. Lot of babies would have died from infections and blood loss (things that would be easily treatable now) if they had been removing the entire foreskin.

http://www.fisheaters.com/circumcision2.html
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/07/bibli...formation.html
Ans what is it gives either of these websites credibility? I am not saying that Biblical circumcision was preformed as today's are. I can think of at least a couple things off the top of my head that makes them different. One being no pain relief, and one being who the procedure is preformed by. But DS is the only place I've seen it referred to as a slit, I think I once also say it referred to on here as a puncture, but I just do not think either of those description are historically accurate. The Bible clearly talks about it as the removal of flesh. As for infections, I don't know. I do think they had remedies and a lot more sense than we sometimes do and over all lived healthier lives. But I don't think you should use false information as a reason not to do something and that is my beef.

I do agree with the poster up from you, and I think she made her point well. As Christians under the blood of Jesus we are no longer required to circumcise. I think the New Testament is pretty neutral on circumcision, just that you aren't supposed to do it as a way to win favor with God because it makes no difference to Him anymore. But that's not the same as saying "don't do it".