Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #1601
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

http://www.savingsons.org/2012/11/us...-by-state.html

For anyone who is curious, here's a breakdown of circ rates by state. States where Medicaid covers circumcision, the rates are still quite high. (I guess when parents have to pay for it themselves, it becomes not all that important to them.) But overall, the circ rates are dropping pretty quickly.

Advertisement

DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #1602
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Two of the three did it out of medical necessity (they are older family members). One did it for aesthetic purposes and he is in his 20s.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Sadly parents who didn't circumcise in the past were not taught proper care, even now uneducated doctors tell parents to retract an infant's foreskin to clean it. This leads to adhesions and scarring and then people say "See, you should have cut it off when they were a baby!" when really all that was needed was proper care, i.e. leave it alone.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #1603
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52

Sadly parents who didn't circumcise in the past were not taught proper care, even now uneducated doctors tell parents to retract an infant's foreskin to clean it. This leads to adhesions and scarring and then people say "See, you should have cut it off when they were a baby!" when really all that was needed was proper care, i.e. leave it alone.
I don't think that is always the case. The two older men I know are my uncles. While I don't know their personal hygiene practices, I know they didn't have problems in their younger years, only in their older years. They (and our Ped) have said that infections and issues are much more common the older an intact man is. My uncles are in their 50s/early 60s now.

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #1604
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
http://www.savingsons.org/2012/11/us...-by-state.html

For anyone who is curious, here's a breakdown of circ rates by state. States where Medicaid covers circumcision, the rates are still quite high. (I guess when parents have to pay for it themselves, it becomes not all that important to them.) But overall, the circ rates are dropping pretty quickly.
Interesting break down. And the Midwest was all red . But was neat to see where extremely low rates were vs high, and who held the middle ground........ And you are right, states where Medicaid still covers it the rates were really high. I actually didn't know they still covered it anywhere, so that was interesting as well.....
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #1605
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

MO no longer covers circumcision, but I know most families around here are willing to pay out of pocket. I know several families on state insurance that save up during pregnancy for the circumcision. And I know one family who's sole reason for wanting another girl is so they wouldn't have to pay for circumcision.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #1606
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I don't think that is always the case. The two older men I know are my uncles. While I don't know their personal hygiene practices, I know they didn't have problems in their younger years, only in their older years. They (and our Ped) have said that infections and issues are much more common the older an intact man is. My uncles are in their 50s/early 60s now.

They may have really needed to be circ'd, but IMO that's still not a reason to do it to a baby. As far as I see it, your two uncles got to USE their foreskins for several decades before it became a problem. To use an old man's health problem as justification for cutting the foreskin off a baby assumes the foreskin has no value whatsoever for the man. And according to everything I've ever read about the anatomy of the penis, that is absolutely false!

I highly recommend to anyone and everyone that they research specifically the function of the foreskin. You might be surprised at the things you learn.

Honest question here.... if you knew with 100% certainty that your child would get gangrene on his thumb as an adult to the point it had to be amputated, would you cut it off as a newborn to save him the pain (and memory) of having it done later?

Last edited by DesertRat; 05-01-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #1607
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post

They may have really needed to be circ'd, but IMO that's still not a reason to do it to a baby. As far as I see it, your two uncles got to USE their foreskins for several decades before it became a problem. To use an old man's health problem as justification for cutting the foreskin off a baby assumes the foreskin has no value whatsoever for the man. And according to everything I've ever read about the anatomy of the penis, that is absolutely false!

I highly recommend to anyone and everyone that they research specifically the function of the foreskin. You might be surprised at the things you learn.

Honest question here.... if you knew with 100% certainty that your child would get gangrene on his thumb as an adult to the point it had to be amputated, would you cut it off as a newborn to save him the pain (and memory) of having it done later?
Yes
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #1608
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

Yes, if you never have it you never miss it.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #1609
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

You both (pps) would amputate your child's thumb as a newborn to spare him the pain of gangrene and amputation as an adult?

I'm just not really sure how to respond to that.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #1610
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

Yep. He would heal quicker, wouldn't have to go through the infection, and it would be much easier for him to learn to function without it as an infant. An adult would have a lot of trouble with that. He'd never know the difference, that would just be normal to him.

ETA: as far as her uncle, yes, he used his foreskin for many years. But wouldn't that make it harder to loose it later? I'd rather be done with it from the start, personally.

Last edited by jen_batten; 05-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote