Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #1791
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've been watching Long Way Down on Hulu. It's a show with ewan mcgregor and his friend traveling on their motorcycles from Scotland to South Africa. They stop at a village that happens to be getting ready to circ all their boys. They circ the boys at a much older age, like early teens. The kids aren't allowed to make a sound or grimace when being circed or it would bring great shame to their fathers. They do dozens of kids over a few days. They explained exactly how they circ. it sounded different than the way they do it here. Its very cultural there. its their villages way of the boys showing they are now men. Anyway, just an interesting side note.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1792
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

This video is a must watch.

The Ethics of Male Circumcision
Talk given by Brian Earp, Research Associate, Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics
Oxford U.K. 7th June 2013

some excerpts
"It became clear to the medical establishment that the health benefits being cited for circumcision were largely spurious. They didn't apply to infants since they mostly had to do with STDs, which babies are not prone to getting and that any health benefits that could be gained could be gained more easily, more effectively, more ethically, less risk fully, and less invasively by other means, including basic hygiene (and condoms)."

“UTI are extremely rare for boys and this is a general thing to look out for when people are talking about supposed health benefits. If the disease is something like penile cancer which is almost non existent it is so rare and only happens in older men or even if you are talking about HIV, you have to remember the base rates for these issues are very, very low. So UTIs, for example, these happen about 1% of the time for boys, and you have to perform 111 circumcisions on the most conservative estimate to prevent just 1 single case of UTI. - What you should do is just prescribe oral antibiotics in the rare case that it does occur. And that's what we do for girls which get UTIs ten times more frequently. Nobody recommends any sort of preventative surgery for girls.”

“About 15 years ago a group of Somali immigrants took their daughters to a Harvard medical center and asked if they could be circumcised to fulfill a perceived cultural obligation. Doctors there suggested a ritual nick. They would take a razor blade and make a very small incision in the clitoral hood, which is the same tissue as the foreskin in the male. Now, unlike male circumcision they were not going to remove any tissue. No function would be destroyed, no sensation would be diminished, the clitoris would not be exposed, irritated or dried out and all this would happen under anesthesia so the girls wouldn’t feel any pain.......... As you can probably imagine, the anti-FGM movement particularly in the US responded to this proposal that no cutting of any kind, to any degree, for any reason should happen to any girls genitals under any circumstances. I want to draw a contrast here to the universal outrage of the mere idea of a pinpick on a girl's clitoral hood, which I agree should not be done, and the deafening silence that we hear about the total removal of boys' foreskins happening on a daily basis and millions of times each year. I think it is time to start thinking about extending to newborn boys at least a fraction of ethical and legal protections we extend to girls.”
Female Genital Mutilation was made ILLEGAL in 1996

Last edited by crunch!910; 07-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #1793
somebodysmama
Registered Users
seller

Definitely having SO read this!
somebodysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #1794
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the speech seemed to be pretty well received. not the very best execution and i ended up going over 1 min 45 sec. im pretty proud of it even though it barely scratched the service. i think i hit a lot of important point for people who know nothing of the topic while still meeting the speech writing criteria. I made it clear to the class that this very well could have been turned into a 1 hour presentation lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vu1e...ature=youtu.be
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #1795
RebeccaLynne
Registered Users

*like*
RebeccaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #1796
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1797
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
the speech seemed to be pretty well received. not the very best execution and i ended up going over 1 min 45 sec. im pretty proud of it even though it barely scratched the service. i think i hit a lot of important point for people who know nothing of the topic while still meeting the speech writing criteria. I made it clear to the class that this very well could have been turned into a 1 hour presentation lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vu1e...ature=youtu.be
Yea! Overall I think you did really great, its a lot to cover!
Did you get any responses?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #1798
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post

Yea! Overall I think you did really great, its a lot to cover!
Did you get any responses?
Nothing rude so that's good lol
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1799
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I want to watch it. We just havent had internet in a month ( because we moved) and I dont want to use up the data on my phone. It'll have to wait till I can use wifi.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #1800
Kburgess
Registered Users
seller

Great post thanks
Kburgess is offline   Reply With Quote