Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #441
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

I'm new here so this thread was new to me It took me a few days to get through it! I did read almost all of it though. I have to say this was like a breath of fresh air from some of the more mainstream stuff I have read............awesome information.

I'm from Canada and I did a quick look and as of a 5 years ago our circ rates were 31%.......so it's not the norm here anymore There was actually an informal pole on one of my mainstream boards.....only 23% were circd.

In our city you actually can't get a circ at the hospital, it has to be done afterwards and there is only one doc in town who will do it and the cost is out of the parents pocket.......it's not covered. Our first was a girl but had she been a boy, there was never any question.......we would NOT be circing. I'm pg again and our thoughts are still the same.

I'm very lucky that MIL was ahead of her time........she was a MAT nurse and said she was horrified by all the circs she saw, she thought it was awful and said there was no way she was doing it to her sons........so dh and his bro are intact I will first say the obvious.........that foreskin has a purpose, I'm so glad dh is intact.........I'm not going to get TMI, but sex is better with an intact male. Dh has always been anti-circ so I'm lucky this wasn't a debate we had to have.........we just knew how we would be doing things........no discussions or arguments needed.

Advertisement

lrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #442
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgs View Post
I'm new here so this thread was new to me It took me a few days to get through it! I did read almost all of it though. I have to say this was like a breath of fresh air from some of the more mainstream stuff I have read............awesome information.

I'm from Canada and I did a quick look and as of a 5 years ago our circ rates were 31%.......so it's not the norm here anymore There was actually an informal pole on one of my mainstream boards.....only 23% were circd.
Lucky Canadians. Keep up the good work hopefully it will one day be near 0.
Fellow Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #443
KellyM2
Registered Users
seller

Great info! DH and I always assumed we would circ because, well, "everyone else does!" But once we heard the research, it was an easy decision not to. We'll see how the rest of the family takes it.
KellyM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #444
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
Lucky Canadians. Keep up the good work hopefully it will one day be near 0.
That would be pretty awesome!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #445
futurama~mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like any two-sided issue, horror stories exist in both camps and can easily be used to sway someone to one side or the other.

I would personally like to see the issue of insurance coverage taken off the table altogether as an argument for either side. What an insurance company deems "medically necessary" is a measure to protect their bottom line and nothing more. Just as the old school medical establishment may take a status-quo approach for circumcision, the corporate medical establishment is now taking a status-quo approach against it for obvious reasons. Seems to complicate an issue that is already complex to begin with, and certainly doesn't take into account the need for parents to be educated about the procedure itself, their personal family histories and the practices of facilities in which their birth and possible circumcision will take place.

In summary, don't let an obgyn, nurse, insurance company, or a stranger on a message board make this important decision for you!
futurama~mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #446
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurama~mama View Post

In summary, don't let an obgyn, nurse, insurance company, or a stranger on a message board make this important decision for you!
agreed. let your SON decide. his body, his choice

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #447
bndsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"agreed. let your SON decide. his body, his choice"

Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #448
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #449
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #450
rowawa
Registered Users

I didn't really know too much about it, didn't have the money to get it done and am happy I didn't. Sometimes there is info you wish you had before but for me it was just a cost prohibitive procedure. Glad it was in the end.
rowawa is offline   Reply With Quote