Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My baby's face is red all around her mouth, anyone know what this is?

I have one allergic kid and one not. Not allergic kid has eczema and the area around his mouth is his eczema spot. So its always rashy. It never completely goes away. It is so similar to what dd's face did with her allergy, the eczema spot even gets worse when certain foods touched it, but goes back to baseline shortly after. The big difference is dd's face got worse with every exposure to the allergen (cantaloupe) and after the first few allergic exposures did not go back to baseline. Other fruits irritated it as well but we took all those out before the cantaloupe. She had been eating cantaloupe for over a year when it started. it was one of her favorite foods. We thought it might be a ragweed allergy since their is a cross reaction with cantaloupe and she had been eating cantaloupe for so long. We had her tested for ragweed and she is negative. She ended up with blisters around her mouth because the rash got so bad- this was over a weeks time eating daily. She went from redness to went away a while after eating to redness that stayed, to really red, to broken skin and blisters in a week. She started refusing it about the same time we got her ragweed results. Took 2 weeks to clear up completely after we stopped the cantaloupe.

Also not sure how bad it is but apples make both of my kids faces red if the juice gets on them. Neither are allergic to apples. Cinnamon also if there is any in the apples your feeding. We have a lot of sensitive skin in our house. We had dd tested for both because of how inflamed her skin would get. She not allergic to either.

I would look for refusal of the food too. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say their kid just stopped eating something or refused something after one taste (not in the I am being difficult or don't like it way, I mean really stubborn about it) to find out not much later that the child was allergic to it. DD refused cantaloupe and it was one of her favorite foods. We always pay close attention now when she refuses something. Most of the time these days its just asserting independence so we just have to judge for ourselves.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-22-2013 at 05:30 AM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote